Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just sold M3, hope to buy 951, mod questions abound...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:28 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just sold M3, hope to buy 951, mod questions abound...

I have had an 86 944 and an 86 951 back in the mid-90's so I'm not a complete newbie, but I have been with M3's for the last several cars.
Lots of new stuff out now, back then it was chips or an Autothority MAF kit for simple stuff.
Just looking for recommendations on first mods on a stock 951 in good shape, I would likely only want to spend about $1k right off the bat, so please make suggestions. I'm thinking maybe a MAF kit (did wonders on my old one) and intercooler upgrade from Lindsey racing but what are you guys ruinning now on good stock turbos?
thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 05:43 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome back to the 951s...

What is your end goal for the car? I ask because most people ask where to spend the money but don't give us any guidlines. I would say with 1k in mods you should first make sure your suspenion was in order (struts, bushings and such), then turn to the vac lines under the hood. Be sure all the lines and other little things are up to snuff before you start turning up the boost....

Now if you don't want to go about things that way, you have chips, test pipes, wastegates, ebc's, injectors, and a whole host of other things....

and the stock intercooler, more than fine for the stock turbo....
Old 08-04-2004, 05:48 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

MAF, plenty of choices there...Lindsey, Vitesse, SFR, used...

Wastegates, get a Tial. Two places sell a 38mm with bolt on adapters, 300ish (SFR, MySwiss). (one of the best upgrades I have done...it is often overlooked but so worth it. Stock wastegates suck)

The consensus is the stock intercooler is pretty damn good until you make big HP. A new one certainly wont hurt, but its not the first thing to run out and change...
Old 08-04-2004, 05:53 PM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks man, I have actually been talking to you about your 968, I'm the guy in Birmingham, its the only non-turbo car on my list.
This car will be a daily driver and I would make sure all the normal items are up to task before modding, its just a good idea. I would like a little more power, straight line acceleration, but will likely upgrade the suspension as well as I am a real suspension and brake junkie. I will be stepping into this car for my wife so she can go back to school to finish a nursing degree, hence dropping the larger M3 payment every month. I will have some money to spend on the car from time to time but I doubt I will make $1k monthly purchases. I am a firm believer in helping the engine work more efficiently to have more power and a better running (happier) car. Intake and exhaust upgrades and software to pull it all together.
I have been reading mention of GURU chips, do they have a website, they seem to be popular with this crowd. Also, how is the Lindsey product offerings for these cars, good stuff?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
The Swede
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do i get a wastegate from my swiss
Old 08-04-2004, 06:10 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Definitely baseline your car before you do any mods, make sure there are no vac leaks, tend to the timing belt-waterpump and rollers etc.
I think a good wastegate should be your first mod, upgrade the diverter valve to a EVO or Forge billet type to make sure you can hold boost then I would go to GURU 15-18 psi chip kit which includes a 3 bar FPR and a Reliaboost MBC. Add a Bursch test-pipe and you should be seeing anywhere between 290-320 crankhorse! The 951 is the performance bargain of the century!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:16 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by The Swede
how do i get a wastegate from my swiss
Since your in Dana point I would order the wastegate from Speed force racing as they are located in El cajon and is a very reputable tuner also they could do the install for you as it can be a major PIA.
Myswiss is located in Canada and i doubt you want to drive there, although his prices are marginally cheaper , Tim at Speed force racing is very helpful person and can turn your 951 into a 425 hp beast!!

Speed force racing is also a Rennlist site sponsor!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:17 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

www.gururacing.net
Old 08-04-2004, 06:33 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Ahh, well if you are looking to buy my 968 then I suggest you don't get a 951.... they are **** boxes anyway..... (said by someone who can't seem to get away from them)

JK....
Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely baseline your car before you do any mods, make sure there are no vac leaks, tend to the timing belt-waterpump and rollers etc.
That's absolutely priority #1. The car should be 100% mechanically sound in stock condition before you start doing upgrades.

I think a good wastegate should be your first mod, upgrade the diverter valve to a EVO or Forge billet type to make sure you can hold boost then I would go to GURU 15-18 psi chip kit which includes a 3 bar FPR and a Reliaboost MBC. Add a Bursch test-pipe and you should be seeing anywhere between 290-320 crankhorse!
Do the wastegate AFTER the chips. Stock chips (if that's what you have now) won't work properly with an aftermarket wastegate because the stock boost control is open loop and depends on the specific characteristics of the stock WG. The better aftermarket chips use closed-loop control (Reliaboost, etc.) which can be used to good advantage with an aftermarket wastegate.

If you get a Turbo S with the stock K26/8 you can get you to around 300 rwhp for no more than $2k. I did it (see signature). A non-S Turbo with the K26/6 probably can't get there without a turbo upgrade.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ian
a 951.... they are **** boxes anyway..... (said by someone who can't seem to get away from them) JK....
Ain't it the truth.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:01 PM
daniel951
Race Car

chips,wastegate,EBC or MBC,testpipe or exhaust system. I had my exhaust system made by a exhaust shop for $80 not including the muffler though but they are very reasonable
Old 08-04-2004, 07:50 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you quoting me Ian? I call them ****boxes all the time...

Quick Reply: Just sold M3, hope to buy 951, mod questions abound...