944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A leaky quandary, need motivation....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004 | 01:11 PM
dzombek
Racer

Default A leaky quandary, need motivation....

Okay I have been under the car all morning changing the gear oil and stuff. I decided to have a crack at the oil leak that is coming from the oil line that goes into the block from the oil cooler in the right front. I found the leak appears when I turn the car off and if I hurry to crawl under it, I can see it form from the brass fitting that is between the oil pump unit and the oil line(It happens between the fitting and the aluminum oil pump housing.)

After taking the header heat shields and the sway bar off, I can get a stubby wrench around the fitting but there is no way for me to tighten it.... No matter what....

So I ask the experts, will I have to remove the headers or any other component to get to enough torque on this? Should I take it off completeley and replace the gasket that is on the fitting?

As I was laying ther the thought ot taking it to the dealer, or other good mechanic crossed my mind. But I would like to takle this on my own......

Help...

Z
Old 08-01-2004 | 02:44 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Which line on the oil cooler housing are you referring to?

The line just forward of the oil pressure sender can be easily tightened (adapter & b-nut for hose) with the pressure sender removed. The other line behind the sender should be easier to get to with the heat shield removed - as you've done. I'd recommend you remove the line first then tighten the adapter on the housing. If you can get a wrench on the adapter, you should be able to break the torque on the b-nut of the hose. Using 2 wrenches to break the nut torque is the easiest way to go.

HTH
Vic

Quick Reply: A leaky quandary, need motivation....