Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Skid pad numbers, Whats yours?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Standard ball joints and A-arms though I am looking at the Racers Edge A-arm with geometry correcting pins. I do have the Elephant Racing Bump Steer kit Racers Edge A-arm solid bushing kit.

Alignment is:

Front:
- Toe: 0
- Camber: 3.0 (due to tire width, higher increases wear with no recordable improvement)
- Caster: 1.75

Rear:
- Toe: 0
- Camber: 2.5
What's your best CCW TWS time...?

T
Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

My best time is 1:53, the car is capable of somewhere between 1:47 or 1:48 (maybe lower) on the proper tires and someone like Dillard behind the wheel.

My goal is to break 1:50 before they close the track.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Measuring on a track is a bit inconsistent. We've seen close to 2.5g's but that's a short spike. I'd have to look at logs but I'd say we would go close to 2 on a skidpan perhaps. I'd imagine Gustaf and Rod's cars to increase on that too.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Measuring on a track is a bit inconsistent. We've seen close to 2.5g's but that's a short spike. I'd have to look at logs but I'd say we would go close to 2 on a skidpan perhaps. I'd imagine Gustaf and Rod's cars to increase on that too.
I wouldn't doubt it with the aero and tire.

When I saw this thread bumped I was curious so I went look at a couple of races where we had a traqmate mounted in my sons 8VNA race car.

Normal bodied 944, no wings or splitter.

245/16 Z214, BFG G force (never had data with Hoosier R7), 1.6G sustained with 1.7 at turn in/apex.

Sure data is beneficial, shock travel, nose dive, lean etc., for tuning but you still have to drive the car as it is, that day, in those conditions.
Things change even mid race from full fuel tank to 1/4, track conditions, bad aero when trailing.

Never before has my son (or me for that matter) ever come off track for a session and said,"one more 10nth of a G or 5 foot later braking in T1 and I would have been faster."

You already know this from driving the car.

Last year, master cylinder went out with just an enduro to go so we were packing it up when a friend with an S2 came over and offered a co-drive to my son.

Owner drove first, close to his best time there at NOLA in his stint....., gets out to make driver change and tells my son the track condition. My son got in the car and went 5 seconds faster than the owner and had never driven the car, gets out and tells him his diff clutches are bad, timing is off or fuel filter restricted on top end and the front compression was too soft transferring too much weight on brake bite and making the rear tires chatter...

T
Old 06-07-2017, 01:25 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by rlm328
My best time is 1:53, the car is capable of somewhere between 1:47 or 1:48 (maybe lower) on the proper tires and someone like Dillard behind the wheel.

My goal is to break 1:50 before they close the track.
I've seen you there before but never paid much mind to where you were other than seeing y'all trying to remove or yank that splitter off a couple years back.

Dillard....., yeah...., as a favor to me, he mentored my son in a two day DE to final prep him to start racing.

I was just a spectator that weekend and was watching from the long elevated catwalk. Spin, come down pitlane (as required), talk to marshal, back out, several laps, spin, repeat repeat repeat. After 1-2 DE spins, you're pretty much done for the day except West was pushing him and would come in and explain that it was his fault, not my son's.

I'm forever thankful to him for that because he knew Eon wanted to race not just DE and he really did contribute to his skill set.

Years ago, (not even a Hoosier tire) when my son went 2.00 flat at TWS for the track record in his 140hp SP2 West came over and shook his hand and just had a big grin on his face.

RE. your car, I'm not too sure West could get more G out of it....., he never has 4 wheels gripping enough to register much grip....

T
Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
I've seen you there before but never paid much mind to where you were other than seeing y'all trying to remove or yank that splitter off a couple years back.

Dillard....., yeah...., as a favor to me, he mentored my son in a two day DE to final prep him to start racing.

I was just a spectator that weekend and was watching from the long elevated catwalk. Spin, come down pitlane (as required), talk to marshal, back out, several laps, spin, repeat repeat repeat. After 1-2 DE spins, you're pretty much done for the day except West was pushing him and would come in and explain that it was his fault, not my son's.

I'm forever thankful to him for that because he knew Eon wanted to race not just DE and he really did contribute to his skill set.

Years ago, (not even a Hoosier tire) when my son went 2.00 flat at TWS for the track record in his 140hp SP2 West came over and shook his hand and just had a big grin on his face.

RE. your car, I'm not too sure West could get more G out of it....., he never has 4 wheels gripping enough to register much grip....

T

West doesn't believe that one should use the middle pedal very much, his usual mantra is more gas.

It is fun to watch my son out on the track, he also is a West protégé. He never had the chance to race but has worked pit for a lot of folks. 2:00 is a good time for any car TWS, he must have forgotten about that middle pedal.

Quick Reply: Skid pad numbers, Whats yours?