Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Filled up with 96 octane....:)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 02:22 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting rage2, so i shouldn't mix toulene in with when my dynoing it?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:59 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Rage, that's not quite right.
It all depends on the hydrocarbons being used.
Tolulene has high octane but also has slightly more energy per volume than pump gasoline.

flyguy,
gasoline evaporates even faster than methanol
The problem with mixing methanol into your gas tank is that methanol doesn't mix with gas very well and it gets worse with colder temps. The other thing is that methanol has a much lower air/fuel ratio; therefore in open loop, your engine will run lean and with less power, unless you make adjustments
Old 07-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Also note that higher octane fuels has less energy. "

That's not necessarily true. The only thing octane predicts is knock-resistance. The higher density high-octane hydrocarbons like toluene and xylene have more hydrogen & carbon atoms per liter than normal gasoline. So they have more energy content. But... you have to lean out the mixtures when using them so that you end up with the same air-fuel ratio. If you maintian the same air-fuel ratio across different fuels, you have the same number of hydrocarbons in the chamber each time it ignites and you end up with the same power output. It's just that higher octane allows for more boost, thus more air and more fuel in the chamber per revolution, thus a bigger bang per revolution and more power.

Please review the Gasoline FAQ and the What's Octane ??? article I have on my 951 RacerX website.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe I should've been more specific... referring to higher octane pump gas, and guys running their 87 octane cars with 92 octane premium fuels. I'm not familiar with the properties of toluene or xylene.

Quick Reply: Filled up with 96 octane....:)