Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Airbag computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004 | 12:37 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag computer

I am switching out an airbag computer to try to fix my airbag light being on all the time. I tried downloading the codes. The 2 codes I recieved were each for the "airbag light". Tehy would not clear even after 3 or 4 attempts. Also, I had the battery out for over a week and it didn't clear them. At one point one of the bulbs was out, but they are all working now...all 3 of them...staring at me every time I drive it. Anyway, I have a different airbag computer to try. Is it a simple exchange or do I need some funky tool and risk setting off two airbags?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2004 | 01:14 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several things to try, search for "airbag light reset" in the search, if you would like to clip the lights, there is a procedure for it and the whole removal of the air bag computer if you would like to remove it. www.944S2.com we used the procedure here for our track car to delete all of it together. You swap out the computer fairly easy, ornage Seimens box above the DME/KLR in the passenger footwell. Disconnect your battery for about 20 minutes before messing with it just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-24-2004 | 01:21 PM
Marks951
Racer

I read the stuff about disconnecting the lights (bypassing the computer) and removing the computer...but I am going to try to get it working right first, then as a last resort I'll disconnect it or whatever to get the lights off. I want the lights to work like they are supposed to so the Master Caution light still works for other warnings and the seatbelt light still works for the seatbelt.

I have seen the orange box when trying to download the codes but I didn't notice how it was attached or anything. I am out of town right now. Thanks for the reminder to disconnect it for 20 minutes prior to messing with it.
Old 07-24-2004 | 01:22 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Pulling the battery will not clear the airbag lights. Actually, that can turn them on if you pull it wrong. If you have the ignition key in the on position and pull power, fuse or the whole battery, that usually lights things up. I've had to reset that damn light about a half dozen times now.

I would try the reset procedure a few more times making sure you have the grounding time down exact. And ground off the negative battery post just to make sure you have good ground. The battery is close and it only takes a 6 foot wire to run into the passenger seat.

Not sure about changing out the brain, better check in the service manual. I believe there is a big a$$ capacitor in the brain to fire off the bag charges so don't go thinking that if you pull the battery you are safe from tripping the bags off. Some capacitors can hold a charge for an awfully long time - way past 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: Airbag computer