Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I got the low compression bent valve blues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got the low compression bent valve blues.

Well it's my fault. I would have been fine if I checked TDC one last time after I put the firing pin back on(the reason the car died in the first place) before starting her. All my intake valves are bent. Piston obviously had some contact issues grrrrrrrrrrrr

Well I refuse to just put in new valve's. So looks like Lindsey Racing stage 2 head here I come...maybe I will buy the package with their matted ported polished stage 5 intake manifold. I will shed a tear when I put the car cover back on her. She will have to sit for a couple month's until I have the money for my new Lindsey part's. I am very disapointed but, have no one to blame. I should have double checked before cranking....it's my fault. I guess the worst part is the Hg replacement went fine and she was running like a top. Too bad her owner had to find out the hard way. TRIPPLE CHECK ****!.

Oh well screw em'. Sorry guy's looks like the Dallas/ft worth GTG is going to have to wait. Unless someone else wants to put it on...I would gladly still show up.....but, if I am going to put it on I want my car. So looks like a few months wait is here.

I will try and look at the bright side of things....VE mods.....hmmmm more hp. but, being without my car for serveral more month's is really going to suck. Who am I kidding.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OUCH !!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

I know I have made some silly mistakes and I feel for you.

Hopefully someone else will read this thread and learn from you.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:17 PM
jp944
Pro

Sorry to hear it, John. Let's do a GTG at the end of Summer anyway. It's too hot to stand around looking at shiny stuff.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

$hit I am so sorry for you ....
Maybe I have to rethink replacing my own cam housing gasket ???
It's stories like these that scare the ba-geebers outta me !!
Sorry John...
Ed
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

That sucks bro sorry to hear. When i had my car apart last week (cam housing off) I must have re-checked every mark on the timing belt and flywheel at least 5 times before I felt comfortable cranking her over. I even put a breaker bar on the flywheel bolt and turn the engine over by hand just to be safe, i guess I'm paranoid about it. Look at the bright side those Lindsey parts are gonna be sweeeet…..
Old 07-08-2004, 06:31 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry to hear it John, I always look forward to watching your vids.
I always said the same thing though - if I lose a belt and bend valves, I'm going to use that opportunity to get a worked head from one of the tuners...Silver lining is that you will have even more of a beast after all is said and done.

Also, this story will make me Triple (maybe even quadruple) check everything when I do my own h2o pump and belts this summer.

Again, sorry to hear it, but can't wait to hear about the next set of mods.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting off your GTG works better for me too. I'd still like to come up, but I've got a lot to do on my car yet.

Too bad about the valves. Just one of those real expensive lessons.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:54 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-09-2004, 03:19 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the kind words guy's. This forum has always been so great to me. I could never repay fully for the amount of knowledge I have taken from you guy's over the past year and a half. Yeah I pretty much refuse to replace just the valves(my bottom end is fine...it's just the valves) back to oem. This is a chance to finally start work on my stroker. I will finally have a built top half of the motor...and in the next year the bottom half will probably follow. I kinda see this car over the next year or two getting crazy with hp number's and mods. I guess that's what it is all about though. I am a hotrodder at heart and will always be. I will be calling Dave on monday to talk with him about my motor mods....and what he thinks will work well with my future track and street goal's for the car. If he thinks he can work a great deal for me I might just have the entire motor done at the same time....if not at the least I will have the top half of it covered for boost.

Just curious keeping the same block. I want a 3.0ltr. Would it be better to do a larger crank and bore...or just bore. What do you guy's think about a 3.0ltr 8v.

Songzzz I know you just did this yourself so I would really like to hear about kinda how you went about it (parts wise) I would also like to know what you think you are putting down power wise on safe boost level's(for me this means about 18psi or under)

I really wouldn't mind having 400+rwhp on 18psi. Would this be possible outta a 3.0ltr with 8v head?

Btw I think I am running the huntley cheeter turbo......would those number's be even remotely possible for this turbo?

Time to start work on my dream 951 I think....things happen for a reason. It was a tuff lesson to learn....now I know.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:26 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

If you use your 2.5L block as a base for your 3.0, you would have to overbore and sleeve, as well as use the 3.0 crank, custom rods and custom pistons and a whole slew of other things I don't know anything about.

Might be easier to use a custom 8v head on an S2 block. I've heard too many horror stories about sleeving, and I've heard almost none about using the factory 3.0 block in this kind of application. Look here
for a little more info on what I'm talking about.

All that said, either way it will be awesome!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:33 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andial has a 2.8 stroker kit. It is basically an 88mm crankshaft with matching Mahle pistons and carrilo rods. No machining, just install and go.

Quick Reply: I got the low compression bent valve blues.