Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KLR Vac line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:32 PM
mdex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KLR Vac line replacement

I have a leak in the vac line to the KLR... does anyone know the specifications of the line for replacement? Is length etc. critical? I called the dealer to get a replacement, but they will not have it in stock in time for me to make it to the track this weekend (the main reason I own the car).

If anyone could point me in the correct direction to find a replacement line I would be greatly appreciative.

Marc
Old 07-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In a hurry, you can use any standard hard vacuum line - cut it a few inches from the KLR box and splice it in with soft line, and splice with soft line onto the manifold barb.

Order then goes: KLR-compression fitting-stock hardline-short length of soft vac tubing-random (new) hardline-short length of soft vac tubing-barb on banjo-manifold.

Sam
Old 07-06-2004, 04:43 PM
mdex
Racer

Thanks Sam, I know that in my old corrado if you went with anything other than the stock line you messed things up, good to know that isn't the case here.

Marc
Old 07-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The issue comes with the soft vac line, you want as little of that serving as the actual line "wall" as possible. (like in between hardlines in a splice, that little tiny length).

Sam
Old 07-06-2004, 05:13 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this might not work. Why can't you use stock or standard hard vacuum lines? i know that the KLR line is yellowish (should be transparent?) but i do not see why it shouldn't work. But connecting that to the rear banjo bolt should also have a minor modification. Opinions anyone?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:55 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whats the issue with using soft vacuum line?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A "soft" vacuum line will tend to collapse under vacuum which is like putting a restriction between the manifold and the KLR.

The net result is the KLR will either respond more slowly, or maybe even not at all, and that can't be a good thing.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:40 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

sounds like a bit of an old wives tail to me - purpose built vacuum line unsuitable for use in situations experiencing vacuuum?

Is this why everyone is swapping out their old factory lines with the aftermarket soft line kits?

I'm not looking to be antagonistic - just looking to find the material issue and avoid the motherhood

Quick Reply: KLR Vac line replacement