Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust recommendation

Who's 3" exhaust are you running and do you like it over someone else's? My Dad's '87 has a bad exhaust leak combined with a cobbled together high flow cat and "custom" 3" cat-back. There are exhaust clamps everywhere and we really need to clean it up. Can anybody claim a difference between the SFR 3" exhaust or the Lindsey unit or something else?

Who has made their own exhaust? Was it worth it?

TIA
Old 06-30-2004, 11:34 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has made their own exhaust? Was it worth it?

I had a guy at a local performance shop do the work for me as a side job. I got the pipes from Summit racing and flowmaster muffler from ebay. Total parts about $100 and he charged me $250. So custom 3" cat back for $350. It took 1 piece 3"x4ft stright pipe and 2 U bends and a 2.5-3" adapter pipe from local parts store. I jsut had hi cut the wastegate pipe so it vets to atm. You only hear it when on the boost hard with windows open, but it sounds good!!

The next time my car was on the lift at my mechanics shop (Porsche only shop) they said "wow, that is great work and nice system".

Just call or drive around some shops and ask. Worst they can say is no.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:52 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what is a cat-back?
(I just learned what a test-pipe is! I'm not stupid; it's just the langauge barrier)
Old 06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

cat back means the exhaust from the catalyitic onverter back to the tailpipe. Usually in here, meaning test pipe back.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"PC load letter?!?!?! WTF does that mean?!?!?!"

LOL, OFFICE SPACE RULES!!!

thanks a bunch!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 03:26 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by toddk911
Usually in here, meaning test pipe back.
Hehe. I'm probably the only one here with the cat in place. I'll remove it when I get to upgrading to 3" sometime next year.
Thanks for the info, Todd.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I made my own exhaust -- designed in CAD, then bent up on CNC mandrel machines. It starts with the factory flange of the turbo down pipe (2.75") then it goes to a 3" section, and then a 3.5" section, and finally a 4" section. It's an excellent track setup. Really sweet sound (a little loud for the street) and really provides a power increase from stock.

I had the oportunity to run with similar cars to mine before I put this exhaust on (one guy has a 3" setup) and we both felt the cars were dead even on power. After I put this on, it was clear that I had a power gain over him.

Anyhow, when I ordered these pipes, I got several extras, so if anyone is interested, I'll be willing to sell them.

Here's a pic of the setup under my car:
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I meant to add: it's 100% stainless -- the pipes, the welds, and the hangers.

If anyone's interested, I'll sell them for $800 as a straight pipe version. I've been looking into racing mufflers to tone down the noise for muffled tracks (like Lime Rock or Mt. Tremblant). So far, it looks like a nice 4" stainless bullet muffler will add about $150 to the price.

Here's a pic of it before I put it on the car:
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2004, 08:06 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm running Lindsey's full exhaust with a Speedforce muffler (just for looks) and the wastegate tie-in. Works nicely. At a minimum the removal of the cat helped in getting 265rwhp and 300rwtq with just chips and 18psi boost.

But a custom made setup with mandrel bends is just as good. I went with Lindsey just to make my life easy. Didn't have the time to put into a custom setup.

Van's setup is pretty slick. I'd add a muffler for street livability, perhaps.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:49 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

very nice Van. i'll show my dad, he may be interested and you aren't too far away. he'd probably need a muffler though. PM me the info!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

cheapest way ....call Chris at speed-6 he deals with LIndseay and Speed force....but if you want cheap ask him for a full 3 inch mild steel..no WG tie in no muffler or cat..they wat 459 for it..I won't say the price but Chris lowered that..I am a high volume cutomer..but he will give you a good deal too...
Get the thermal coating too..not necesarry for horsepower but helps with corrotion....THEN get a Borla XR 1 from summit and voila a very good exaust for around 650..oh yeah and they provide a WG dump tube to vent to the ATM

Quick Reply: Exhaust recommendation