ABS pump knackered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 08:24 AM
bonus99
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS pump knackered?

Hello,
I am working my way through an ABS issue where the light comes on and stays on.
I have looked at other threads from the past and managed to make some headway. However, I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

I have shorted the pins on the fuse box relay position and can here a click coming from the pump, I don't get the click when I put the relay in and I have put the relay across a battery and nothing, so it looks like the relay is dead and i have ordered another.
Should I hear a whir of the pump at all or anything other than a click? The lights stay on when I start the car, although I have not moved it yet as its on a jack.

To further add, it looks like the pump could be knackered, see the picture, there is a lot of "stuff" on top of it, looks like something has disintegrated or oxidised. Its similar to finding a substance build up on a battery terminal, if you know what I mean. Im assuming pump might be end of life?

I was going to take it out and pull it apart to see if it is serviceable, anyone have experience of doing that job? I read that you can rebuild it with parts from a Merc 190 and sure enough, its very similar but pipe outlets in the wrong place so probable scavenge parts from it. A used replacement is circa £500. Before doing this, it would be handy to know if I should expect anything else from the pump other than a click

If the pump is done for, could it have blown the relay in the fuse box?

thank you for reading this far

Cheers

eek!

Old 05-30-2024, 10:48 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 152 Posts

Definitely looks like aluminum corrosion. As to the key questions, I don't know. On my 968, I get a kind of strange noise soon after startup that I assume is pressurizing the system, because it is a one time thing.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:57 PM
Eldavo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently went through the whole system on my UK 944 with this guide:

https://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/techn...bs-refurb.php#

When I applied 12v as mentioned here: Apply 12v across pins 28 (ECU Plug) and terminal 87 (ABS Relay fusebox) the ABS pump should fire into life. then the pump would work but it was a real headscratcher as it didnlt work if I applied 12v to the signal wire in the fusebox. After pulling the pump and checking all the connections it turned out that the only difference between LHD and RHD cars is that the ABS circuit goes via the jump point under the scuttle. Multimeter readings here were sketchy at best - I unscrewed the jump point, cleaned up the spade connectors and reinstalled everything - works perfectly now.

Also worth checking the fuse for the ABS and also that the ground strap to the pump is intact as the pic cuts off just above where it bolts in.

Quick Reply: ABS pump knackered?