Starter solenoid wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 12:23 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Starter solenoid wiring?

I'm in the process of rewiring using IceShark's battery upgrade kit. I got under the car to release the alternator to starter wire and the battery to starter wire. There was no cover or rubber boot on the wires at the starter solenoid connections. Does not seem normal to me. Did the starter solenoid connections come with stock rubber boots?
Old 06-19-2004, 05:09 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Not in the later years, Andre. Use the dielectric grease I included in the package and you should be fine. I think Porsche stopped using the rubber boots as they held in water and made corrosion worse. I know for a fact that my 88 951 S never had boots.

BTW, you got the last full IceShark positive run that is fused in the world. There are only about 100 of you out there with the fused positive. I won't be able to make them again until 200 guys want 'em. That seems unlikely that enough guys and girls would get together on one purchase. So, you have a unique item, if that matters.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-19-2004, 05:41 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

I guess I'm proud to be the "last one of the breed". BTW the quality of kit is awesome. I'm happy I made this purchase. My next step is setting up the starter to alternator wire. I've drained the coolant system and will try to remove the alternator later today. However, the lower alternator to compressor retaining bolt seemed to be really tight when I tested it last night. Hopefully after a good night's sleep I'll be stronger!

I've been taking lots of pictures in the process. Would like me to send you some so that you can upgrade your instructions?

Regards,

Andre
Old 06-19-2004, 12:33 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Andre, use a lot of penetrating oil on those darn bolts and nuts. They can really be frozen and you don't want to snap one. Try all the old tricks of smacking them with a hammer to "wake" them up, heat, etc., before you put a 4 foot breaker bar on them.

I hope you have that hole on the top of the bell housing where the speed and reference sensors are located pluged up with a rag or something. You don't want to drop a nut or lock washer down in there. What a stupid design by Porsche!

I would love to have your pictures and incorporate them in future instructions. A picture sure does say a 1000 words, sometimes more.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:45 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by IceShark
Andre, use a lot of penetrating oil on those darn bolts and nuts. They can really be frozen and you don't want to snap one. Try all the old tricks of smacking them with a hammer to "wake" them up, heat, etc., before you put a 4 foot breaker bar on them.

I hope you have that hole on the top of the bell housing where the speed and reference sensors are located pluged up with a rag or something. You don't want to drop a nut or lock washer down in there. What a stupid design by Porsche!

I would love to have your pictures and incorporate them in future instructions. A picture sure does say a 1000 words, sometimes more.
The first thing I did once I had removed the hose to the heater valve was plug that inspection hole with a small rag.

I've tried the hammer trick. I soaked them in WD40 last night and I'll respray them later on, hammer some more and try again. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to heat up the bolts. I hope not to have to use a blowtorch.

I'll take some more pictures and keep you posted.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

WD40 sucks as a penetrating lube, spend the money and take the time to find PB Blaster or Kroil!

Sam

Quick Reply: Starter solenoid wiring?