Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pearl White 951 Vin # 7331 Restoration thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 06:04 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Pearl White 951 Vin # 7331 Restoration thread!

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a special 944 turbo for a while since I drove my brothers for the summer a couple of years ago and fell in love with the car. I was looking for a Silver Rose or 89 or turbo S or a Pearl White 86 car. I've owned three 911's. a 996 Carrera, 996 Turbo and a 997 turbo. All of them I modded in my opinion tastefully. But more recently I've got the bug for more vintage cars.

I found this 951 on facebook marketplace last week and being it was stock and had relatively low miles I jumped on the opportunity to buy it. I knew of the special nature of the pearl white cars and how they were limited production of about 30 cars. All pearl white with burgundy interior. This was a great find.

I ended up purchasing Pearl White #7331 with 69K miles fully stock. The interior looks like it has little wear, no cracks on the dash and no modifications. The only bad part is that it was sitting for years and the paint seams like its burnt. It was delivered to York Euro Car in PA with Brendan who restored a special 968 posted here on Rennlist and several other transaxle cars in the past. I was lucky to find someone who has experience with these cars. He found a 50 dollar bill under the seat and the original service booklet and owners manual!

The car came with a new nose panel, power steering lines and new motor mounts. The previous owner, a mustang guy, told me he bought it from the second owner who had it in the back of a warehouse for years and that the car was an original European delivery car as I believe most Pearl White 951's were. He went to look at some mustangs the second owner had for sale and saw the Porsche in the back of the warehouse and made a deal for it then decided he didn't want to put money into it and he said it sat outside on his property for several months and never got it to run.

First impressions was that after sitting for so long the car needed a new fuel pump and lines. Brendan got to work on it quickly and the car is now getting the necessary parts to get running again and make it road worthy. The only mods I plan on doing to it are a Euro Rear bumper new shifter, short shift kit and LED headlights from only944.com and. If the paint can be saved its getting a full paint correction and ceramic coating. Unfortunately the paint looks burnt throughout the car and hasn't been looked at by a professional detailer yet. The car hasn't even been washed yet but that will happen in the days to come.

What are your opinions on restoring the paint? Im trying to avoid a full repaint and hoping it can be lightly sanded and paint corrected and only the damaged spots repaired. It has damage on the front nose panel but a new unpainted nose panel is ready to go on. I know that tri-coat paint is hard to match but apparently its posible with todays technology and a paint scanner.

And below is where the car was when I bought it. Sitting outside about 7 miles away from York Euro Car in PA where it is now. I asked for pictures of the body damage and this is what was sent to me before purchase.

Here are pictures of the paint that Brendan sent to me. The car hasn't been washed so its hard to see how bad the paint is, but im hoping it may be salvageable. I've seen some major comebacks with professional detailers. Definitely taking off the old plastic stone guard film on the sides.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:24 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

I was thinking of buying a set of coilovers for the car while im replacing all the bushings. Make the ride height a litter lower front and back and make sure the wheel gaps are adecuate but the car looks good and handles better. Im considering the Yellow racing coilovers. Anyone have experience with these?

https://yellowspeedracingusa.com/pro...pr_seq=uniform

Old 03-07-2024, 12:19 PM
Toolbelt0
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't bother with coilovers. Koni yellows all around with M030 sway bars and updated caster mounts is all you will ever need. The rear torsion springs can be re-indexed for ride height and you can also buy the adjustable ride height M030 Konis for the front. These car handle awesome out of the factory with a fresh suspension. I also own an 86 and believe its the best Porsche model. Also have owned a 991s and a 997s in the past. There is nothing on the road that satisfies driving pleasure like an analog Porsche. Welcome!
Old 03-07-2024, 02:21 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice grab! I was eyeing that car on FB as well. Better you than me.....I'm looking for a car for an LS swap. Best to save this Pearl White. Enjoy!
Old 03-07-2024, 02:54 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

I just feel that for the money its worth while getting coilovers since the cost is about the same as getting konis. This coilover kit is about 1k.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:06 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

So far I've ordered the following parts:

Only944:
Short shift kit with linkage
Inner shifter boot
Brushed aluminum seat latches
Brushed aluminum parking brake button
LED headlight upgrade
Clear markers
Throttle response cam
Tail light mod
Hatch pin seats

944online:
Shifter boot burgundy
shift pattern cap aluminum

Rennlist sellers:
Euro 951 Rear bumper

eBay:
New Hood Crest
Special Tail Lights (orange section is clear)
Tow hook cover cap

Thinking about purchasing:
Euromeister 17 inch wheels with centers painted body color
Performance chip
Performance exhaust
LSD
Ceramic tint in almost clear for rear hatch and side windows (reduces heat dramatically)
LED dash light upgrade
Porsche classic radio for use with apple car play

I'm now thinking the car will likely need a full repaint but Im still not sure. I'll know next week when Brendan sends me more pictures once the car is washed.

I plan on refreshing the whole suspension and worn parts. Maybe adding a chip from Lindsey racing and an exhaust, And adding 17 in Fuch style Euromeister wheels with the centers painted in body color and Michelin Pilot sport 4S tires. I don't want to mod it too much, just something to liven up the acceleration and keep the drivability comfortable.

What are your recommendations on stage 1 mods? Should i go with a 3 inch Lindsey racing exhaust or try the Fabspeed system?
Also deas anyone know where to find clear side markers for the front and rear?

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-08-2024 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:57 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toolbelt0
I wouldn't bother with coilovers. Koni yellows all around with M030 sway bars and updated caster mounts is all you will ever need. The rear torsion springs can be re-indexed for ride height and you can also buy the adjustable ride height M030 Konis for the front. These car handle awesome out of the factory with a fresh suspension. I also own an 86 and believe its the best Porsche model. Also have owned a 991s and a 997s in the past. There is nothing on the road that satisfies driving pleasure like an analog Porsche. Welcome!
Hows the compliance with the m030 konis? Ive had coilover setups on my 911's and they were so nice and smooth. I figured I could achieve the same result with coilovers on the 951.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:36 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

She's alive! The car got new fuel pumps and fuel lines and is now running with a steady idle. Next is a timing belt and water pump replacement and all fluids changed.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-11-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:54 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

The car had good compression across all cylinders and no significant faults. Started well and Idles well. More is happening soon.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:29 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Ive been considering adding ceramic tint thats almost clear to the rear hatch and side windows. New ceramic tint can reject about 90% of the heat. What do you guys think of doing it?

Old 03-16-2024, 07:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

congrats on the white 951.
how are the floors and below the rockers? I'd be careful if sitting in that field for years the floors may have rust.
with regards to paint a full paint is obviously very expensive to do right. maybe you can wet sand the existing? do you think the paint is original?
my white 951 is having engine installed in next week or two!
Old 03-16-2024, 08:09 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
congrats on the white 951.
how are the floors and below the rockers? I'd be careful if sitting in that field for years the floors may have rust.
with regards to paint a full paint is obviously very expensive to do right. maybe you can wet sand the existing? do you think the paint is original?
my white 951 is having engine installed in next week or two!
The car has no rust and was inspected by the shop. Its actually in great shape overall. It is original paint as well and its never been repainted.

I was considering trying to wet sand the top coat then polish it but it seams that the clear coat is literally gone in some of the top sections. Most of it is cracked. We will see as soon as the mechanical maintenance is done.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:38 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Full respray. The problem with pearl paint is not getting the correct color, that is easy, it is putting the right amount on and at the same angle as the rest of the paint. The pearl is reflective particles in the (clear) paint put on as the second layer. In order for it to match it has to be put on in the exact same thickness as the factory did - impossible to get perfect. If too little, not enough reflection. If too much it will reflect too much. When you spray the paint the reflective particles will tend to settle in a particular direction affecting how the particles reflect so unless you spray it the way the adjacent panels were done at the factory it will reflect differently. It looks like you need many panels sprayed -nose piece, roof, rear quarter. front wing new euro bumpers etc. It will look like a patchwork of paint and you will be disappointed. Do it right the first time and it only hurts once.
Besides the title to this thread says it is a restoration thread not a "I'm going to wash my car" thread!
Old 03-17-2024, 07:25 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Breakaway944
Full respray. The problem with pearl paint is not getting the correct color, that is easy, it is putting the right amount on and at the same angle as the rest of the paint. The pearl is reflective particles in the (clear) paint put on as the second layer. In order for it to match it has to be put on in the exact same thickness as the factory did - impossible to get perfect. If too little, not enough reflection. If too much it will reflect too much. When you spray the paint the reflective particles will tend to settle in a particular direction affecting how the particles reflect so unless you spray it the way the adjacent panels were done at the factory it will reflect differently. It looks like you need many panels sprayed -nose piece, roof, rear quarter. front wing new euro bumpers etc. It will look like a patchwork of paint and you will be disappointed. Do it right the first time and it only hurts once.
Besides the title to this thread says it is a restoration thread not a "I'm going to wash my car" thread!
Haha, very true on the title! I've been talking to different paint shops. Some Porsche certified paint centers some not. All recommend a full respray for it to match correctly so thats likely what will be done. I think the car is worth it because of the special nature of the pearl white burgundy cars. Formula Motorsports, who do full nut and bolt restorations, said the car is worth doing right since the pearl white cars are special and collectors are picking up special 944's. The owner of Formula motorsports said he had only ever seen one in person and that the color is beautiful. He told me they would do a job so well done the car could get Porsche classic certification. Thats just one very expensive option I looked at. Most reputable paint shops say doing a pearl white is no problem but it would have to be a full respray. Im still going to have a detailer look at it since theres a small chance the paint is salvageable by wet sanding and its worth trying. Ill know soon.

First it will be restored mechanically. Full refreshed suspension bushings with small upgrades such as m030 sway bars and new Koni adjustable shocks and updated caster mounts. Brakes, Interior fully shampoed, washed and protected. I may even do Dry ice cleaning on the underside before the repaint.

Its currently getting new timing belts and water pump and getting road worthy first. New Continental DW06 Pus tires. I'm excited with this build. I think the car will look great once done.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-17-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:44 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

following this thread.
have you physically seen the car yet or driven it? where will you use this car? and how long did it sit in that field outside? glad to hear but surprised it is not all rusted underneath especially the metal fittings under car.. any pics of the engine compartment? curious what oil shop is using?
car looks nice for an old turbo that has sat. but what exactly makes these pearl white and burgundy interior cars special? I see the rare colour meaning something. how many miles on this car?
one idea for a respray, to save money, you may want to approach your local high school auto class. a guy on rennlist did this with a good result recently.
what did you do for the led headlight upgrade? I need to do that as well.
good luck with the "restoration"

Last edited by Turbodan; 03-18-2024 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Pearl White 951 Vin # 7331 Restoration thread!