Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pearl White 951 Vin # 7331 Restoration thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 09:43 AM
AA996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Ive been considering adding ceramic tint thats almost clear to the rear hatch and side windows. New ceramic tint can reject about 90% of the heat. What do you guys think of doing it?
I had that done on my 928 a few months ago. I’m really pleased with the results so far. With all the glass on 928’s/944’s I think it’s a worthwhile mod.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:27 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
following this thread.
have you physically seen the car yet or driven it? where will you use this car? and how long did it sit in that field outside? glad to hear but surprised it is not all rusted underneath especially the metal fittings under car.. any pics of the engine compartment? curious what oil shop is using?
car looks nice for an old turbo that has sat. but what exactly makes these pearl white and burgundy interior cars special? I see the rare colour meaning something. how many miles on this car?
one idea for a respray, to save money, you may want to approach your local high school auto class. a guy on rennlist did this with a good result recently.
what did you do for the led headlight upgrade? I need to do that as well.
good luck with the "restoration"

The car only sat outside for 2 months. Before that it sat inside a warehouse for some years but it was under a roof. It’s been confirmed it has no rust. It has 69k miles. I think I got lucky!

The pearl white burgundy cars are special because the color was only offered as an option in 1986 and only around 30 cars made in the color, for some reason I don’t know they were all pearl white with burgundy. I would say any Porsche with a limited run is usually more valuable. I’m still trying to find out more on why the pearl white/burgundy Cars were made. I’ve read they were some sort of special promotional launch vehicles but I’m not sure. Anyone here know more?

In regards to the oil I’ll ask but I’m sure it will get the proper fluids. IMO it’s more important to change oil more frequently with the correct spec than to choose a specific brand.

I’ve been considering this upgrade for the headlights although I bought the only944 led headlight kit but now considering the morimotos.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-19-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:41 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That dash is in unusually good condition after sitting outside in the sun. I bet that was a very well cared for example up until recently. Good job saving it.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:58 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ried
That dash is in unusually good condition after sitting outside in the sun. I bet that was a very well cared for example up until recently. Good job saving it.

Yes the car is in great shape other than the paint. Little wear on the Dash, seats and interior. They are in great shape. Also it only has 69k miles and little to no rust plus some service booklets.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-30-2024 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

great it wasnt outside long as that destroys these cars. my white one has about the same mileage about 66 k miles. in terms of oil, I used to run brad penn with zinc and when I bought my race car he ran penzoil racing so was wondering what your shop is recommending to you.
when will you see your car? where are you going to keep it?
Old 03-23-2024, 02:12 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
great it wasnt outside long as that destroys these cars. my white one has about the same mileage about 66 k miles. in terms of oil, I used to run brad penn with zinc and when I bought my race car he ran penzoil racing so was wondering what your shop is recommending to you.
when will you see your car? where are you going to keep it?
It should be ready and road worthy at the end of next week. Ill be picking it up and taking it to be looked at by a professional detailer to see if theres a shot at restoring the original paint, if not its going to get a full respray. I really want the interior fully washed, detailed and restored in the meantime.

I'll know what oil and rest of fluids its getting soon but everything is being changed including transmission fluid.

Im keeping the car garaged in a property I have outside of NYC.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-23-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:46 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Recent pics, Its just got new fuel pump and lines. Now getting timing belt service and water pump and any other worn components that need changing. Car hasn't been washed yet and will be getting the full AmmoNYC touch with Larry Kosilla who is going to try to restore the paint as best as posible so we can see if we are able to maintain the factory paint. Its a joy to find everything in good condition and serviceable. These cars are great.

Timing belt needed changing!
Old 03-28-2024, 05:38 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Update: The cars oil was drained and came out milkshake. Head gasket was bad. Its now getting the head sent to be rebuilt and a new graphite performance head gasket from 928 performance.

https://944store.com/product/graphit...e-head-gasket/

Any other recommendations while this is being done? Ive already looked into the Lindsey racing vent. What else should be done to ensure a reliable engine besides replacing worn components? It will only get an exhaust system, Vitesse chip and 3 bar FPR. Dont plan on doing more performance mods. Looking for a reliable 300 HP.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-28-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:01 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 279 Posts

If the shop knows these cars, they should be recommending an engine out reseal at this point. It is the most economical way - to do everything it will need at once.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:45 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

You mean a full rebuild? According to the shop everything else looks good. Leak down and Compression test, no oil in the coolant or hoses.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 03-28-2024 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:51 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
You mean a full rebuild?
No, I mean a reseal. O rings, radial seals and gaskets are 38 years old and especially after sitting, then being put back into service, they will start to fail.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:42 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Its getting resealed. I just got confirmation from the shop. Its also getting new silicone vacuum lines.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:47 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

change out the bearings. too.
so they ran the engine without checking the quality of the oil? are you sure these guys are the right shop? I hope all goes well.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:39 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Has the shop provided any photos of the engine condition? There is a lot to be learned with the cylinder head removed. Condition of the bores, combustion chambers, deck surface and the old gasket can be filled with clues.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:15 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Very true, im going ask for pictures. They're actually doing several things to it, cleaning injectors, replacing a lifter that wouldn't hold pressure. resealing. new hoses, all while the head comes back. I learn of new things every time I call. The shop has restored and fixed several transaxle cars. Some have been posted here on rennlist. They have a good reputation and the owner had a 968 himself he restored. They restore Land Rovers as well and have done some other classic projects.

Quick Reply: Pearl White 951 Vin # 7331 Restoration thread!