Rennlist Member

Phone dial wheels =non S.
Ahmet
Old 06-15-2004 | 11:59 AM
M758
Race Director

Default Re: S vs Non S

Originally posted by Crazy Eddie
I have a Porsche supplement (WKD 495 021) that details the differences between the S and non S. There is one tidbit that is easy to help identify. As someone in this thread mentioned, there was some body stiffening done to the S version. On either side of the intercooler where the headlight bar goes across there are 2 triangular pieces on both sides of the car welded to the frame, there is a coolant hose (from the expansion tank )on the rt. side of the car that passes over this body part. On the left side it's just to the right of the distributor cap (they almost are directly in line of the headlight ball joints that rotate the headlights up. There called "reinforcement plates on the left and rt. side of the wheel housing" going from front to back.
Hope that helps
Regards
Ed
PS one other note I was told that officially that the only true Turbo S were the Silberrosa cars. The others were referred to as the new 944 turbo for '89
even though they were pretty much identical. WTFK
But they also said that they were only bringing in 1000 cars into the states and that it was a limited production run ...yea right
Guys LOTS of Miss information on the first couple pages of this thread. Couple posts on page 3 are much better.

This stiffening plate is really the BEST way to tell it really is a turbo S or not. Suspension parts can be replaced as well as the turbo. Option codes are not accurate since mine does not have the M758 code, but does have the M030 code. There is no special number on the VIN. Rolled fenders can be replicated as well all the other parts. Those plates however are only in Turbo S chassis. Factory put them in an I highly doubt anyone would put them in after the fact.

One can argue that there really are 3 "Turbo S" car types.

1- The true 88 Turbo S cars. These are silver rose with a plaid interior. 1000 were to be made, but fewer were actually made

2- 88 Turbo "S" cars - These are like mine made in many color and interior combo's. The have all the engine/chassi upgrades and the interior features. When combined with the silver rose cars there were about 1600 made of which 718 are reported to have been imported to the US.

3- 89 Turbo cars - These are really the standard 89 turbo with most of the engine/mechanical Turbo S parts. I had not heard of an 89 without M030, but I guess it is possible. Anyway I believe some 1300 of these were imported to the us.

If you want to get into which is the S and which is not.

Group 1 definitly are Turbo S, Group 2 are probably as well
Group 3 are really question able since they were "standard" for 89, but for all practical purposes are the same as a turbo S.
Old 06-16-2004 | 02:08 AM
951 S
Advanced

Wow thanks for clearing that up.....but 89 with most of the mechanical/engine Turbo S parts? Always thought that 88-89 S's were all the same mechanicly.
Old 06-16-2004 | 12:09 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

I don't consider my 89 a Turbo S, but I know why folks call it that.
Old 06-16-2004 | 12:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally posted by 951 S
Wow thanks for clearing that up.....but 89 with most of the mechanical/engine Turbo S parts? Always thought that 88-89 S's were all the same mechanicly.
I thought so too, but I looks like one there is at least on 89 without a limited slip. I consider them virtually the same mechanically. Interior wise there are some differences.

Looking at turbo S sales brochure...

Turbo S had
Mechanical
- Revised power to 247 hp - Well know that comes from K26/8 turbo and revised DME to go with it, but they don't mention these details
- Chassis mods - They mention stiffer springs and shocks, stiffer bushings, and revised sway bars - We know as that change were made to the body, spindles, and front control arms
- Standard ABS
- 928 S4 Brakes
- The 16x7 and 16x9 Forged Fuchs 'Club Sport' Wheel with 225/50 and 245/45 tires
- Special 5spd Gearbox with oil cooler with revised internals and a limited slip

Interior
- Heated power adjust seats
- Plaid cloth
- central locking and 10 speaker stereo
- folding rear seat backs

It is interesting to note that my turbo S has all the mechanical goodies above, but is differnet on the interior

Firstly it is guards red, and has tan intrior.
I have partial leather front sport seats. Power operated, but not heated.
I also have the central lock, 10 speaker stereo adn folding rear seats.

I am sure that if you took a pole of all Turbo S cars, most have varried interior options.
Old 06-16-2004 | 02:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

The only thing, that I believe is incorrect, in that sales brochure ( I have the orig. also ) is, that to my knowledge, NONE, in the US have heated front seats
Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Is this a Turbo or Turbo S?