Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ABS brakes don't have the brake bias on the master cylinder
Old 06-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by hosrom_951
Sorry about the turbocharged (i get them mixed up) but from 88+ ALL 951's came with a different diagraph for the wastegate and the S models DID comes in Silver Rose/burgundy colors (open the workshop manuals and it would indicate that limited edition S models). Im not trying to start anything here!
Hosrom--no worries--I am not an internet bickerer--just a truth seeker. I don't have all the answers. Can you point to any factory documentation about that wastegate diaphram? PET shows one part number for all 86-89 U.S. spec 944 turbos. (At any rate, if it was changed for all 88+ cars, it would not help when trying to distinguish an S from a non-S, right?)

I agree it came in Silver Rose, among other colors.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Sami951
Drifting

FWIW there's a black '88 Turbo S and a red '88 Turbo S over here in Finland (that I know of - could be more..). The black one has that funky interior, red one has black leather IIRC... so I for one believe the '88 TboS was available in various colours, not just silver rose.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default S vs Non S

I have a Porsche supplement (WKD 495 021) that details the differences between the S and non S. There is one tidbit that is easy to help identify. As someone in this thread mentioned, there was some body stiffening done to the S version. On either side of the intercooler where the headlight bar goes across there are 2 triangular pieces on both sides of the car welded to the frame, there is a coolant hose (from the expansion tank )on the rt. side of the car that passes over this body part. On the left side it's just to the right of the distributor cap (they almost are directly in line of the headlight ball joints that rotate the headlights up. There called "reinforcement plates on the left and rt. side of the wheel housing" going from front to back.
Hope that helps
Regards
Ed
PS one other note I was told that officially that the only true Turbo S were the Silberrosa cars. The others were referred to as the new 944 turbo for '89
even though they were pretty much identical. WTFK
But they also said that they were only bringing in 1000 cars into the states and that it was a limited production run ...yea right
Old 06-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Do you mean this plate?
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

88 Turbo S

Since I have one, and spent a lot of time looking for it - here are a few real easy give aways - that all TurboS models come with (ref WKD 495 021 factory spec sheet):

Visual checks:
1. Club Sport forged wheels - not D90's etc,
2. Rolled front and rear fender lips - factory rolled to clear wider tires
3. M030 suspension - Koni shocks and in front, with threaded adjustable perches
4. Bigger front calipers - 928 fronts with axial flow ventilated front discs
5. 10 speaker stereo option

In the Engine Bay:
6. M44/52 stamp on the engine block
7. Triangulation stiffeners about 6" long x 2" wide up front on chassis rails behind the headlight area, down low (sometimes hard to spot though)

Up on the hoist:
8. the transmission should be stamped "AOR" and
9. there is a black 3 coil loop finned transmission cooler on the passger side of the transaxle about 8" in diameter - you can spot it by looking forward from under and behind the left rear wheel area

The tail tag and maintenance book tag does not always list all the options. My car was a complete mystery - no options listed at all on the tag, and when I called PCNA, they confirmed this is not uncommon. Call PCNA - they have an archive department that will talk to you if you have the VIN and they were very helpful to look up the build sheet for me while I was on the phone. They confirmed the special option code "758" - that is the 758 Special model 944 Turbo 1988 - which means it is a TurboS

Rich, Iceshark and others are correct - you cannot depend on color combinations alone to determine whether the car is a "S" or not. Go for the build sheet.

BTW, all turbo S came with LSD. And not all 89 Turbo are "S", as I know of one 89 Turbo sold new in Toronto Canada that did NOT come with M030 suspension from the factory - still owned by the original owner!

BBTW - my 88 TurboS is Zermatt Silver with Black interior and did not come with the split rear seatback or roller shade!

Last edited by Randy_J; 06-13-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Rich, the 89 owner might've opted for a more comfortable suspension. Similar to how the sunroof can be deleted, even though it was "standard".

Also, the transaxle cooler was not only on the 88S/89 cars, it was also standard in 86, and optional thereafter, until becoming standard again with the 88 turbo S and thereafter.
Ahmet
Old 06-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep Tomas that's the plate.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:04 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom M'Guinn: The part number are the same, unless you updates the PEt system. My dealer's PET system shows two numbers (he told me it is the updated one, so don't pick me on thsi one). But yes, that doesn't apply for S models. Here is a website by Clark to find all (most) information on ALL 944's.

www.clarks-garage.com

Look under 951 FAQ
Old 06-14-2004, 03:05 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Tom M'Guinn: The part number are the same, unless you updates the PEt system. My dealer's PET system shows two numbers (he told me it is the updated one, so don't pick me on this one). But yes, that doesn't apply for S models. Here is a website by Clark to find all (most) information on ALL 944's.

www.clarks-garage.com

Look under 951 FAQ
Old 06-14-2004, 03:07 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

By the way, check out lindsey Racing's Dual Port Wastegate, they show that from 86~87 and 88+ wastegates are different.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Regarding ABS: there is a small magnetic sensor in each hub which is held in by a single 4mm (or close) allen bolt. Pull a wheel and you should be able to spot these pretty easily. Mine had gotten so much metallic debris on them (they are magnetic after all) that the system would regularly shut off, so it's a good idea to pull them all and wipe them clean periodically.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:26 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, S's are worth a few grand more than non-S's. This car appears to be priced appropriately for a non-S, so I wouldn't be looking for a discount. If it is as represented and in great shape, then $9k is reasonable. However, cars like this one that fall into the largely rebuilt category, instead of simply being well maintained, can often have some significant issues. Some questions that you might ask include:

1. Has it been repainted? If so, when and why? Neglect by a PO? Accident?

2. Why was the motor rebuilt? Who did it? What does rebuilt mean?

3. Why were the brakes and suspension upgraded? Good clean fun? Track whoring? Accident?

4. How has the car been used throughout its life? Who owned it? Who took care of it? How?

It's tempting when a car looks good to assume the best, but you should make sure that you are comfortable with the answers to these questions (whatever they may be) before you take the plunge. It is easy to spend several thousand dollars on these cars in routine maintenance and improvements, and a shame to do it to one that is not really a great base on which to build.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:17 PM
951S Rage
Track Day

Well, I basically agreed to buy the car today...but won't get the car until Friday...he's gonna clean it up for me and gather the extra parts he has (original air filter, 4 phone dial wheels, chip, cat bypass, original radio).

I figure Turbo S or not the car is in great shape and worth the money.

I appreciate all your help everyone and I hope to be a long time member of the Porsche family for many years to come!

Steve
Old 06-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Awesome! You found the right place!

Quick Reply: Is this a Turbo or Turbo S?