Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

When people do not keep their word!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think copying someone else's chips is a bunch of bull****. Unethical if you ask me. Although I wouldn't put it past "some" tuners. Especially when that tuner wasn't the guru everyone thought he was and couldn't get it right the first time and has had umpteen revisions since the beginning. What if a tuner started his business on a set of stolen chips in the first place? If this is happening, I'm calling a foul here. Dousche bag type of stuff if you ask me. I can only think of two dirtbag vendors who would do this and one of them isn't in business anymore.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:29 PM
icat
Race Car

Hummm... (He says as he tosses some fuel onto the fire)...
I wonder how many have copied Microsoft software or downloaded pirated music from the web....
Old 06-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

you guys are being rediculous. I'm seeing some slandor here. How about we dont get invloved in private affairs huh? How about not posting your private affairs either. I like you john, but I think you should have taken this up with the said vendor.
~Eyal
Old 06-12-2004, 09:17 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Jeremy Himsel
I think copying someone else's chips is a bunch of bull****. Unethical if you ask me. Although I wouldn't put it past "some" tuners. Especially when that tuner wasn't the guru everyone thought he was and couldn't get it right the first time and has had umpteen revisions since the beginning. What if a tuner started his business on a set of stolen chips in the first place? If this is happening, I'm calling a foul here. Dousche bag type of stuff if you ask me. I can only think of two dirtbag vendors who would do this and one of them isn't in business anymore.
Is that a hint that its Danno?
Old 06-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by Karl2bdc
Welcome to the business world. Do you have a patent on your chips?
Copyright law generally protects software and firmware, so no need for a patent to prevent bootlegging. However, I often wonder if chip makers start with 100% new code, or if they start with the (copyrighted) factory chip and modify only the necessary parts.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
However, I often wonder if chip makers start with 100% new code, or if they start with the (copyrighted) factory chip and modify only the necessary parts.
Excellent point Tom. Eyal is correct too, offlist. Everyone has PM and most members have email on their profile.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:53 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by fast951
If you don't see anything wrong with what took place, I see no reason to even bother responding to your question. Think about it!!!
Im not saying that i don't see whats wrong with it, point is that it is part of business whether you like it or not, it happens every day, and when it happens to you, all of a sudden your pissed off. Have you never copied a VCR tape or a CD or Software? How about copied a music tape? Don't say that you haven't, because i and everyone on here will call bull**** on you. I fully agree that it is unethical, and a poor practice of business, but unfortuently that is life, get a helmet. If you are offering a superior service for the same product, then you should have no problem with competition, i personally know that your name on rennlist is well respected, and i doubt it will kill your business. It is almost like this is an opportunity to rub another tuner's face and name in the dirt, and no matter what he did to you...how ethical is that? There is this little saying that goes "when someone slaps you in the face, turn the other cheek." How many thousands of 944/941/968's are there driving around in this country vrs how many tuners there are.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well FWIW I have compared quite a few chip sets over the years and have found most to almost completly mirror APE's chips.

This makes sense since they were the first guys on the block so to speak. Tuner's have been using their (APE) chips as a starting point forever. Happens all the time. Most of you would be surprised who the list includes.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: When people do not keep their word!!

Originally posted by fast951
I'm hoping the "tuner" and he knows that I'm talking about him, does not copy them for his own use.
No need to mention names, the involved parties know who they are...
This is all I have to say about it!!! No need to take this any further!!!
What is this, you don't need to say this if that's where you're going to leave it.
Originally posted by Jeremy Himsel
I What if a tuner started his business on a set of stolen chips in the first place? If this is happening, I'm calling a foul here. Dousche bag type of stuff if you ask me. I can only think of two dirtbag vendors who would do this and one of them isn't in business anymore.
Why don't you tell us?
Originally posted by Chris Prack
Well FWIW I have compared quite a few chip sets over the years and have found most to almost completly mirror APE's chips.
This makes sense since they were the first guys on the block so to speak. Tuner's have been using their (APE) chips as a starting point forever. Happens all the time. Most of you would be surprised who the list includes.
Why don't you tell us?

I'm not against the posting of such information at all, isn't this why we have public boards like Rennlist, or is it supposed to be used only to praize others?
Ahmet
Old 06-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Because it's not worth the grief for me or anyone else. The point is that tuner's "borrow" exsisting chip maps all the time and if this is a surprise to you then you are naive.

The internet (including Rennlist) is slam full of BS, smoke and mirrors. Mind you that does not include everyone here by any stretch but it certainly exists.

If you want a proper chip for YOUR car then to to a tuner and pay for a custom chip. Anything else is a compromise.

I am going to end this as I feel a general rant coming on and I have better things to do like drink beer and eat pizza...............
Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's because of people like you who will say something but not name any names that a "tuner" can get such a great name in a short time, nobody posts complaints here before they see it from other people. It's absurd. The internet, and Rennlist IS full of BS, so why not do your part to clean it up some. People could be ordering from these tuners that you know sell **** this very minute because nobody will step up to the plate. I don't see how it makes sense. If you can't name who you're talking about, then don't tell us the mean bad tuners are out there...
Ahmet
Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

mmmm pizza
Old 06-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's nothing wrong with analyzing your competitors product. Ofcourse re-selling the same chip is a different issue than looking at what your competition is offering. I realize this, and that's not what this is about.
Ahmet
Old 06-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
Copyright law generally protects software and firmware, so no need for a patent to prevent bootlegging. However, I often wonder if chip makers start with 100% new code, or if they start with the (copyrighted) factory chip and modify only the necessary parts.
It's pretty ****ty when someone else steals your hard work and ultimately the time you've invested into a product. But adding to Tom's comment, I don't think anyone but Bosch can claim ownership to the code that runs our DME/KLR - no matter how modified the code is.

Bottom line - the business world is a cut throat environment. For some (supposedly here on the list,) the almighty dolllar holds a higher value than morals or ethics.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Hey thanks for laying the blame on me. It's surprising that I am the cause of or at least contributing to the stupidity or the average Rennlister. It is hardly MY responsiblity (nor do I have the time) to "clean up" Rennlist or the internet. I already have a job.

There is a ton of crap that I read here all the time. Where would you like me to start? It's comical. I will give you a "for instance". There was a thread not too long ago that was several page's, over the course of a week or so. One of the list tuners posts and very thought out and concise explanation of the question at hand and was then saluted like a hero. So I googled the subject of the thread (mostly cause I doubt everyone) and I got about 12 pages or so of results. So I go through the pages and what do I find? A page submitted by a company off a website that our "hero" cut and pasted and called his own. Ain't he a genius? Smart guy. Buy my stuff, I'm impressive. I almost posted a link to the site, as I am sure you wish I had, to call him out.

The problem as I see it, from being in the modifying Porsche business way too long, is most people cannot pay for what they want. Everyone wants a deal. Everyone want's to do it themselves. No one wants to pay for anything and will shop the hell out of the internet to find a deal. Then their "deal" doesn't work out (surprise!) as expected and now were all unhappy. Ride big, pay big. Cut and dry.

I told you already. If you want an inexpensive generic chip why do you care where it came from? Right? Stop being lazy and do your own research, call a tuner on the phone and talk to them. Talk to customers that use their product. Get involved. Don't blame me because it's not my fault. Be responsible for your own actions and thoughts. No one forced you to read anything here or own a Porsche.

Quick Reply: When people do not keep their word!!