Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upgrading to K27/8

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 03:50 PM
Reddevil944
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to K27/8

I have a 1986 951, and the turbo is starting to go out, so I was wondering what the necessary supporting mods are for a K27 swap? I assume I’ll need bigger injectors, and I’m already running a 3 bar FPR, but will I need to get a custom chip tune, piggyback ecu, etc?
Old 01-08-2024, 12:27 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have this turbo. its an old school turbo but still fun ! Modern MAF kit, dual port wg, downpipe and 3" exhaust help along with injectors 3 bar fpr you got. bigger #8 hotside and journal bearing and 2.5L so anything to evacuate exhaust gas helps with spool.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:32 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What are your goals with the car in terms of power? If you arent looking to go too crazy, just have Charlie at Evergreen Turbo refurb yours into a K26 Raptor X....you can do something like lindsey max chip set with your 3bar FPR, dual port wastegate and boost controller and make good power that way instead of diving down the rabbit hole of MAF kits and custom ECU setups. Not to mention less turbo lag
The following users liked this post:
spencang (01-17-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 05:02 PM
Reddevil944
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin@Endlessdetails
What are your goals with the car in terms of power? If you arent looking to go too crazy, just have Charlie at Evergreen Turbo refurb yours into a K26 Raptor X....you can do something like lindsey max chip set with your 3bar FPR, dual port wastegate and boost controller and make good power that way instead of diving down the rabbit hole of MAF kits and custom ECU setups. Not to mention less turbo lag
Im really only trying to hit about 310-330 hp, I’ve already got a full 3” exhaust setup, wastegate and boost controller, so all I would need is to send off my turbo and get a MAF kit + chip set? What MAF kit would you recommend?
Old 01-09-2024, 06:08 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don’t necessarily need to get a maf kit. From what I’ve seen and heard, you can get a set of chips like the Lindsey Racing ones or find someone that can create a custom one for you with boost around 15psi and that should put you close…

but if you want to go the maf route, Lindsey Racing has one that’s based off the rogue tuning kit (rogue tuning is no longer around). Or you go with Vitesse Racing and their kit. Or you dive into a whole new ECU setup like VEMS or something similar.

just look at Lindsey Racing website and look at their dyno graphs versus what mods were performed and that will give you a good idea of power levels with what you already have for mods and what else they used to get those numbers.

EDIT for links below...
Lindsey Racing Max Chips

Lindsey Racing MAF kit

Vitesse MAF kit

Last edited by JC951; 01-09-2024 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
spencang (01-17-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 12:06 PM
Toolbelt0
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an Evergreen turbo with a #6 hot-side and really love it.Charlie can also build it with an #8 but I think its redundant. The #6 is much better at achieving boost. One of its strongest qualities is how well it builds boost and holds till redline, because we all know how good this motor is off boost. LOL .
I have to echo what Justine has already stated. Getting to 280-300 whp is relatively easy with a Strong motor and a few supporting mods like, a turbo, full exhaust, WG, 3 bar regulator and a chip running around 15-16 psi. Any more boost than that and you will risk blowing a head gasket or worse. This is all because the stock AFM maxes out at around this level of power and cant provide enough fuel for anything over.
That said, I have tried MAF's in the passed with varying degrees of success. I firmly believe that if you don't mind sacrificing some degree of idle and smog related issues. They are a good bang for the buck at achieving boost levels greater than with the stock AFM. With additional boost comes power and I have run 22 plus psi with them. So it comes down too what your goal is. After many year of chasing hp. I have come to really appreciate the 944 t for what it is. It's a prime example of what a light weight chassis can accomplish.
If I were still chasing HP, I would probably need to spend 120k or so and buy an engine and engine management from these guy's to be completely satisfied.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/4-0l-f...-makes-2000-hp

Last edited by Toolbelt0; 01-10-2024 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to K27/8