Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 944 turbo, missing oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 07:10 PM
djmjr77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 turbo, missing oil cooler

Hello, hope everyone is having a happy new year!!

I am doing the waterpump, timing, oil seals etc on my new to me 1986 951 and noticed today that one of the PO's had removed the OE oil cooler and as far as I can tell right now just stuck bolts in the oil housing.

The car is getting great oil pressure, so I dont think it is causing any problems. I just got it drivable, so haven't familiarized myself with the engine temp the car wants to be at.
Couple questions for ya'll!

is running a little warmer than normal the only issue this would cause by it not being present?

Could I get some custom lines made up and just run an off the shelf oil cooler? Seems obvious I can but dont want to make assumptions.. I have a place near me that can make almost any hose with any fittings while I wait..
I saw LR's kit, but that is overkill for my uses and I would still need to buy OE parts to run it.
I also looked up the prices for used parts and just don't have it in me to return it back to factory right now.. I would need every hose, pipe, cooler, bracket nut and bolt, starts adding up.. I got to around 600 and stopped looking..

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 01-07-2024, 05:18 AM
four0four
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh god! I'm sure it's fine for now, but I wouldn't really beat on it too much yet...

As far as adapting custom lines - yes, easily. The female oil connections are M22, same as Setrab uses for all their coolers (which means they sell M22 -> any AN size you could want). I recently added a second stock cooler to my car (just on the left side), and built lines with 12AN hose and a small fortune in M22->12AN adapters and fittings. Looks like the adapters go for about $14/ea at the moment on
Amazon Amazon
. Basically any aftermarket cooler should provide either AN fittings by default or be easily adapted. Making the hoses yourself is straightforward as well, no crimps required.

If you look in the front there are some pretty handing mounting locations as well, I just didn't like the idea of the oil cooler being in front of the rad/condensor. Stock location is easy enough, making up your own brackets is easy (or just have Sendcutsend do it).
Old 01-07-2024, 02:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

the LR kit comes with everything including the hoses and brackets so you would not need OE parts on top (I don't think). it is big and for track use but may be the best solution. I have an original cooler with the original lines if you are interested would let go pretty cheap.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:19 PM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got a full stock oil cooler setup sans plate. Ping me if interested.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:45 AM
mrazeja7
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where exactly is the stock oil cooler located? Is it on the passenger side? My 86 was crashed on the front right corner sometime in the past and I don't remember seeing an oil cooler anywhere... I guess it just wasn't put back in.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:23 AM
four0four
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

passenger side, bolted to the radiator frame, kind of like this (not the original plumbing!):

sorry, only picture I had on hand
Old 04-07-2024, 06:31 AM
Nitram T
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual cooler

Originally Posted by four0four
Oh god! I'm sure it's fine for now, but I wouldn't really beat on it too much yet...

As far as adapting custom lines - yes, easily. The female oil connections are M22, same as Setrab uses for all their coolers (which means they sell M22 -> any AN size you could want). I recently added a second stock cooler to my car (just on the left side), and built lines with 12AN hose and a small fortune in M22->12AN adapters and fittings. Looks like the adapters go for about $14/ea at the moment on Amazon. Basically any aftermarket cooler should provide either AN fittings by default or be easily adapted. Making the hoses yourself is straightforward as well, no crimps required.

If you look in the front there are some pretty handing mounting locations as well, I just didn't like the idea of the oil cooler being in front of the rad/condensor. Stock location is easy enough, making up your own brackets is easy (or just have Sendcutsend do it).
I’m also adding an extra Oil cooler. Any thoughts on having one after the other? Any pressure loss?

What temps are you seeing when beating it on track?
Old 04-07-2024, 01:44 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

In general, I don’t think many folks monitor oil temp.

I have Wizard radiator with built in oil cooler. Much better than stock radiator and smallish stock cooler (though for normal grocery getter stock oil cooler is fine). A worthwhile upgrade for aging plastic radiators.

https://wizardcooling.com/i-30501847...-2027-110.html
Old 04-07-2024, 04:13 PM
Nitram T
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual cooler

Thanks.

Already have a Setrap cooler in stock.

anybody keeping an eye on the dials (temp an pressure) during racing.

thanks

Quick Reply: 86 944 turbo, missing oil cooler