Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fire Extinguisher mounting where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 04:22 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher mounting where?

Going to buy a fire extinguisher tomorrow, too nervous with all these fires happening! A powder one was best right? Were abouts to mount? I want it easy to get to but not obstructive, where have you guys mounted one?
Old 06-04-2004, 05:42 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the power-type will spray a whole bunch of white residue on the engine. I recommend using the halon type....kinda expensive though....
Old 06-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

NZ

I've mounted mine off the front of the passenger seat mount brackets, using the original seat bolts. Don't like drilling holes in my Porker.....
Will post a pic if you need one...

Rob
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

The Brey-Krause seat mount is a nice piece, might be too pricey after shipping and any import fees though. A little fabrication can make one like it, probably like Rob's? I mounted mine in front of the passenger seat for easy access. At least I did until the Recaros went in, the B-K mount doesn't work with the Recaro sliders. But I recently got a Redline bar in, so it'll get mounted to that.

I keep a Halon extinguisher in the car, powder will create a huge mess and may damage the engine if it were to be sucked into the intake.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:06 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If memory serves me, I read some threads that Stable Energies mount has the advantage that it moves with the passenger seat. There's also a guy on eBay (actually a VW guy) who's been selling a simple bracket that mounts to the rear passenger seatbelt bolts -- I got one, but haven't had the chance to get a FE.

Also, rather than Halon, Halotron is more readily available these days (for environmental reasons).
Old 06-04-2004, 10:28 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, you want Halotron, it is similar to Halon but it is more environmentally friendly and cheaper. Powder will destroy your wiring in case of a fire and make a huge mess.

As far as a bracket, if you have the non-power factory passenger seat, I will sell you my B-K bracket. I just moved my Recaro SRD to the passenger side and can no longer use the bracket.

Let me know if you want it and we can work out a deal...I don't know if there are problems with shipping to NZ though.

Max
Old 06-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

I had to sell my Stable energies one because I got aftermarket seats. Found a guy who sells a machines piece of alluminum that mounts on the rear seat seat belt mount points.

here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 06-04-2004, 05:24 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Alpine, that looks pretty good but I doubt you could mount harnesses to that as well as have that installed. ya / nay?
Old 06-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

NAY! I took out the rear stock belts since no one can get back there anymore, and I bought eye bolts that screw right into the stock holes. This particular mount is thin metal, like 1/16", and its in between the eye bolt and the stock hole in the rear seat. I have clip ends on my 5 point harness that clips into the eye bolt and goes up around a harness bar. This mount works great. Got the eye bolts and harness's from racer wholesale.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Andrew
I mounted my Halon on the kick portion of my rear passenger side seat
(where the person seating in that seat, heels would be ...
The extinguisher came with the bracket it fits nicely there and is in reach
while you are in the drivers seat. ..
If you want I can send a pict but it won't be until tomorrow ...
regards
Ed
Old 06-04-2004, 05:41 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Alpine, thanks for the quick reply. Mine may get that mount when I get my new seats mounted.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:22 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Max shiping is not that much with USPS, does it fit a variety of sizes? I am going with the powder version here as it like 20 opposed to a truck load more! And I dont mind having to clean after a fire, I will just be happy its out. I will do a serach on those brackets and see, I have a non power passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher mounting where?