Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How long do you expect your 300-350hp car to last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:44 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you expect your 300-350hp car to last?

Just wondering for you guys making this kind of power at the wheels, how long your motor and tranny has lasted and how long you think it will last without rebuilding or blow up. It just seems if Porsche had to strenthen the tranny from the regular turbo to the turbo S for a modest boost in hp, the regular trannys would have problems with nearly double the stock hps. I'd like to mod my car beyond chips, but i can't realistically see it lasting very long if this is done.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:56 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mostly down to the boost you run to get it. I am at 19psi on 96 pump gas. I make around the 350 mark (guess so flame away), now funny thing, I am easier on my car with this power from when it was stock! lol seems odd but I hardly every hit it now, only if provoked by a gti-r or evo or wrx etc. So, I drive it very easy about 90% of the time, so I expect it to last a long time. Not to **** myself off too much, but its a pretty decent setup and is tuned safely with the Link, so I feel secure with whats going on under the hood.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:21 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

It's all about the tuning. Have the proper chips or tuned standalone setup, and it'll last forever. My stock block lasted 180k worth of my punishment and was still in good shape before I pulled it .

If you baby the tranny, it'll last too. No powershifts into 2nd, and no 1st gear launches off the line.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:48 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I've been well over 300 rwhp for a while now.
I am pretty hard on my car, especially when I'm pissed off.
but I don't have lsd so I just spin one tire.

NZ is right though. I don't usually hit 18 psi unless pissed or provoked or tuning or autocrossing or bored!

I usually don't boost at all. If I do I only hit like 6 psi.
I don't really drive my car that much.
but that sort of has the reverse effect where I make the drive as 'interesting' as possible.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:44 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long? Who cares?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:26 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It shouldn't be a problem on short bursts like on the free way but on a road race situation or endurance race. The engine may not handle it unless added precaution are implemented.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:02 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jimbo1111
It shouldn't be a problem on short bursts like on the free way but on a road race situation or endurance race. The engine may not handle it unless added precaution are implemented.
That's not true. My car lives at the track. I attend at least one lapping day a month, running 40 min. sessions, burning through 3-5 tanks of gas in 1 day.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:38 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if you can get into the 300hp range on modest boost (<17 PSI for street gas) and decent air-fuel mixtures then you can expect good longevity out of the motor including regular track sessions. Additional oil cooliong for the motor and trans also helps of course. And the underlying assumption is that everything has been put together properly in the first place.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Paul968
Racer

I am just about finished with the powerwerks project car........ my aim is to achieve as much RWHP as safely possible, using a stock block!
I have not set my self a 'golden number' that I want to achieve, I am just going to do my best and see what I come up with.
I am doing this for two reasons......
1. I am personally intruded to see what is the REAL actual level a 951 stock block can be taken to..... safely!
2. This will help me be honest with my customers and offer REAL FACTUAL advice on the parts and service I sell. I know there is nothing more disappointing and frustrating than spending your hard earned cash and not getting the results promised.

Once the car is complete, I intend to have it open for people to see, sit in and even go for a spin. I will post dyno and test results on the website.

My approach to this project and task is simple...... instead of using high levels of boost to achieve greater power, I decided to treat the car as more of a non-turbo project. What I mean by this is, instead of taking the quick easy way of cranking up the boost, I looked at how I could make the car more efficient. If you have a non-turbo car you don't have boost to play with..... you basically have to look for things that will free up HP and make the car more efficient.

I think the key is not to create more boost but try make what boost you have be more effective! The boost level I intend to run will be around 15-17lbs.

With the right application of parts and the right tuning, I think big safe power can be made.

This car may be a little extreme for most tastes and I know a lot of people have no desire to reach this level. The reason I am doing all of this is.... as I install each part I am examining what each products true effect/result is..... taking notes of good points and bad points. This is valuable information that I, as a business, can pass along to my customers.

Once fully complete I will post my results and findings.

Best Regards,
Paul R
Old 06-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I am thinking like everyone else, if you tune the car well, meaning good air/fuel ratios, engine never over heats, tranny never over heats, turbo never goes up to something very high (say about 25psi), good chips, good timing and electric, then it should last for awhile, much longer then I/you/anyone would keep the car. If you dump the clutch at 4k in 1st all the time, of course the car is going to break, but what car won't after awhile? Same with power shifts.

Quick Reply: How long do you expect your 300-350hp car to last?