Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo oil line leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo oil line leak

I have a leak coming from the turbo area that is getting worse and I'd like to take care of it. My mechanic told me it was most likely an o-ring and that if I took the intake manifold off I could get to it. In looking at the exploded view, I am wondering if I can get to any the o-ring on the bottom of the turbo without removing the whole turbo, or I am pretty much restricted to the top one.

Also is one of the o-rings more prone to failure than the others?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Skip
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2004, 11:20 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only one you can get to is the o ring on the top of the turbo. The turbo will have be be pulled to get the bottom one replaced.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are only going to get access to the top o-ring without removing the turbo. On the other hand, It takes only 15 minutes to lift the intake manifold to determine whether the leak is on top or bottom. Don't remove the fuel rail/injectors or any hoses except the intercooler tube coupling hoses. Remove the intake manifold bolts and dipstick tube screw and lift it at the throttle valve housing. Put a stick under the manifold to hold it up.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:29 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

you can also replace the return the line to the pan from the mount. I just did this repair. while you are there replace the banjo bolt and the two crush rings. Also check the back of the balance shaft. I seeled all of these up. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top one is pretty easy to get to. The bottom one you're pretty much going to have to remove the turbo which is fairly easy but time comsumeing. Figure about three hours.

The top is the most likely to leak as it's under pressure. The bottom is just draining back to the crankcase so there's less pressure. I had the bottom turbo seal leak on one of my cars a few years ago. I was able to loosen and then re-torque the two turbo mounting bolts and that stopped the leak. If held up for another two years until I changed the turbo. If it is the lower, try and retighten the turbo, you may be able to compress the seal a bit more. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I'll try lifting the manifold like Claus suggested and take a look. Hopefully I get lucky and its the top easily accessible one - hah, like that will ever happen. I'm sure it will be the most difficult to get to.

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: Turbo oil line leak