Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Took a ride in my Cousin's 550 hp 996 TT today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:01 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to agree with RPG951S. so many fools are so obsessed with their HP and nothing else. ricers save money by cutting their springs yet install new chips on NA engines that give them 2-4 hp rather than spend that money on a decent coil-over kit. you know, one day while fueling up, a kid came up to me and said, "ill race my car against yours!" kid had some old crappy camaro with a 500 hp motor. thing was, could i beat him on a real track? most likely.

i have a choice between MAF/MAP kit or suspension, and im going the suspension route. why? because to me, my car's already fast enough. in a line.

i just see that on the drag strip, money is more useful in the engine department. on the closed course, money is more useful in the suspension department. everyone always talks about how the 951 can get eaten on the straights but come the curves, the 951 comes back. what's the bigger rush? what requires more skill? the curves. poor driving on a 1/4 mile track may make a difference of a couple tenths. poor driving on a closed course can mean over 10 seconds.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think my 951 corners so well I can't even begin to use the full pontential - thus more money goes into the engine for the time being
Old 06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny rants. I dunno why the big power cars here are being compared to ricers. Every 400+whp 944 I've seen have upgraded more than just the motor. I log as much roadcourse miles in my car in a year as on the street. My car can stop and turn as well as it can accelerate. And as for making owning a sports car expensive, you should look for ****ty drivers. I've been rear ended twice last year sitting still at a set of lights in my SLK. Pretty sure my 400hp had nothing to do with it.

Just because I have a ****load of power on the street doesn't make me a ****tard. But if it makes you feel any better calling me one, go nuts.

Last edited by rage2; 06-01-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

****tard is a pretty funny name, but it does not apply to Rage2...
Old 06-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Funny thing I don't even bother at stoplights..I pretent I am too much int omy music or something untill I get rolling...then everything changes...they never see me again!!! right NZ? BTW how much does a complete LINK 2 cost ?
Old 06-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Tomas L
Pro

I don't see the point in this discussion.
Why did you buy 951:s?
Probably because of their handling and power? If not, then you are posers and I have nothing more to say to you.
Where does it say that the stock 951 has the optimum amount of power and handling and nobody needs more?
"You can't use more power on the street!" From my point of view, if the limit in power and handling was what you needed to transport you on the street, within the limits of the law, then an old beetle 1303S would be enough! At least there would be no reason for anything more powerful than a 944N/A.

Personally I want extreme amounts of power combined with the handling of a formula 1 car, but if someone else want something different that's fine with me (besides, it gives me greater chance beat their cars ).

To those of you that has nothing better to do than try to impose your values on other people and condemning them for their opinions I have just one thing to say, join a religious cult, you'll enjoy it!

Tomas
Old 06-01-2004, 07:58 PM
atinybug
Racer

unless the religious cult condemns ur values too, then ur s.o.l.
lol
Old 06-01-2004, 08:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"too much hp??"

Well, when I see ads for family sport sedans making 250-300+ hp, I know that I have plenty of room til I get to the "too much hp" range

The last thing I will allow is for a soccer mom to beat me in a race
Old 06-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Sach951
Pro

That's funny.. it went the other way with me... I bought a 951, fell in love with it, and now I'm selling it to buy a grocery getter...

Cheers,
Sach
Old 06-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Sach951
Pro

Now that I think about it I suppose the sportbike rather makes that a moot point... so nevermind
Old 06-01-2004, 11:04 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Just because I have a ****load of power on the street doesn't make me a ****tard. But if it makes you feel any better calling me one, go nuts.

Sorry rage, if you think I was calling you a ****tard. I can see by the way I worded the post that you might think that. My apologies. You sir, are definately not a ****tard

I don't think big power cars with no tracking potential are ricers. They are something else. (By tracking, I mean anything from drag racing to roadracing; drag racing, while not my cup of tea, is certainly not a pointless exercise).
I'm talking about the cars (or, the people with cars), with 500hp, no (or very minor) suspension changes, no brakes, no safety equipment, and no brains to think that maybe there's something wrong with that.

I find it amusing that while nobody has a problem pointing out pointless ricer mods, because the car has 'power' it can't also be modded 'wrong'.

I'm not trying to 'impose' my views on people. I think over powered street cars are a silly waste of money, and bragging that my supra makes 900hp (but, by it's design has absolutely nowhere to use it safely) is also dumb.

Look, I also did some truely stupid, stupid things when I was younger (which wasn't that long ago!). I wish somebody had kicked my butt and told me that I was an idiot at the time. Would've saved me alot of hassle and money
Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

what requires more skill? the curves. poor driving on a 1/4 mile track may make a difference of a couple tenths. poor driving on a closed course can mean over 10 seconds.
I'm sorry but both racing venues with a high horsepower car require a lot of skill. I know first hand as i like doing both.

I think over powered street cars are a silly waste of money, and bragging that my supra makes 900hp (but, by it's design has absolutely nowhere to use it safely) is also dumb.
The supra on my sig is my father's it has 710whp and it is his daily driver, full power, a/c, full interior and he is 52 years old, I'm 32 just in case you think i'm a teen. the car is very usable everywere. we go to the track, both 1/4 mile and circuit, very often this is were my brother and I have fun because he let's the driving to us and it is very competitive in both.

just to let you guys know i do like my 951s better in the track its a more direct feel. more nimble. but not as fast.

edit- I know that nobody was directly talking about me. so i'm not taking it personal.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the hole disscussion got way off track. You can mod your car all day long as I am concerned...as long as you mod it responsibily and with safety in mind. Just cause you have 700hp in a supra doesn't automatically make you a ****tard. It's a case by case basis. No one can say for sure all of these people over here are idiot's. We drive porsche's so it's obvious we care about lot's of things than just nice hp number's. Most of us road race constantly and would never think about having 500hp on stock brakes and suspension. So isint this kind of a stupid argument to have? Maybe some people are jealous of hp number's or wish they had them. Not everyone that has hp is a tool. You are arrogant if you think this way. Of course you can have 500hp on the street. It's fun to have a really fast car on the freeways. You can stay in tall gear and just drive around everyone. More over if it was so stupid and pointless why do we make so many fast 500hp car's??? Viper's,new zo6,Carrera GT's,Enzo's,vanquish's, and all kinds of special tuner car's that lurk the street's. The bottom line is for the people that want power there is nothing wrong with it as long as you are responsible with the power that you have. For some people 217bhp is too much. If people think hp is so useless on the street than go by a new civic and get 40mpg....if your in a 951 then who decides how much hp is too much? I mean what's makes you the end of be all of what is useable hp on the street and what isint? To each their own if you want 500hp I say go for it as long as the car has been well equiped to handle it...and you have more than enough driver skill and comon sense to know when and where to use it.

Oh and if you couldn't tell I have friends with BPU and APU supra's. I think those car's are great...and when it come's to hp no car is more relaible. I personally plan on buying a Mkiv supra sometime in the future.

Wish me luck on my 500hp dreams
Old 06-02-2004, 09:25 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

May your dreams come true, boost on!!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 01:50 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Speeding tickets will dictate how fast you can go, after that people will head for the track, if they have any points left.

Quick Reply: Took a ride in my Cousin's 550 hp 996 TT today!