951 engine is sick after long stay

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 08:28 AM
Slava
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 engine is sick after long stay

Dear members!

Need your assistance and advice on troubling engine issue.

Background:
I left sitting my decently running '86 951 for a year due to abroad trip.
The car was running fine with an exception of leaking oil pan gasket and a crack on x-pipe.
The car was left with a friend of mine, so he could start and run it from time to time and maybe taking for short ride to keep things in working order. The friend of mine didn’t put much miles, only 2 kms during the year but was idling the car on a weekly basis for 10-15 min.

On a reunion the car is not happy:
1. Engine is running rough; no misfires, but shaky rough, as if the e/g mounts has given up.
2. The rpm are also dropping very slowly/lazily from top end.
3. The e/g temperature gauge immediately jumps to max on engine key turn ON (wasn’t like that before).
4. Cooling fans not working while engine running and after engine shut down (but working on min speed while AC is on).

While trying to figure out what might be the cause while engine idling, I’ve noticed a nasty smelling smoke rising from RH exhaust side.
Thanks god no fuel leak, but that is what I've found (***pics attached ***):
- Exhaust pipe from 2-3 (middle) cylinders is covered with oil at joints (!). No oil residue on 1-4 cylinders, though.
- X-pipe is covered with dripping oil, but that might be from the oil pan gasket.
- Also noticed, that valve cover is getting damn hot even after 2-3 minutes of idle. Can hardly touch it!

On a good side:
- The car starts like a champ on a first spark, faster than my new Lexus, so compression might be strong.
- No exhaust smoke whatsoever; no liquids or droplets of any kind from exhaust even while revving. Exhaust is bone dry.
- No milkshake in coolant tank or dipstick. No smoke or pressure gasses from oil dipstick or oil feeder tube. No bubbles in coolant tank.

Question of the day:
What might have been the cause of oil leak stains on 2-3 exhaust pipe and how F*d am I?
Where should I look into?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
My senses telling me a simple oil change and car wash won’t cut it!

51 wants my blood!

Quick Reply: 951 engine is sick after long stay