Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Are our heads rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any performance head rebuilder can do our heads, just give him the heads-up on the ceramic. The last one I heard of locally from a race shop cost $350 for 5-angle and rebuild with pressure test. Call around, doesn't have to be a Porsche shop.

Sam
Old 05-28-2004, 03:43 PM
eastendr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rage2
I say leave the head alone. The gains are fairly minimal for what you'd have to pay. It's not like the stock head can't make big power .
But any improvement IS improvement.

Multi-angle seats do make a difference. Porting makes a difference.

Using bigger valves is an easier alternative than increasing lift and then possibly having to pocket the pistons to match, meaning having to skim the head to bring the compression back up.

If I'm modifying a head for big power anyway, why not seize the opportunity ?

Rick
Old 05-28-2004, 04:52 PM
rocket951
Instructor

Not to hijack this thread, but didn't Danno post something a few months ago about how he was experimenting with heads and valve angles and exhaust ports and whatnot? As I recall he was getting some very impressive HP gains.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to remember about the turbo (951) head is that it has a ceramic lining in the exhaust port. As far as I know, this is NOT rebuildable/refinishable/replaceable... So check its condition before spending money on the rest of the head.

They are ceramic and they can crack (and flake). Any GOOD shop can work with it anyhow. Try Scott Gomes at Under Pressure. The head I got from him looked very good. Albeit, not 350 bucks.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:45 PM
eastendr
Instructor

I was impressed by the flow figures from Lindsey Racing from their modified heads. I was going to get a stage III from Dave, but decided to let my head guy do it here in the UK instead to save freight etc.

I bought a spare head that is thoroughly checked OK by my workshop before he started work on it. It's been fully tested and refurbished with new guides and exhaust valves etc before he started on the modifications.

I also bought an inlet manifold / throttle body / cam tower etc at the same time so that all the work can be carried out together with no rush and full checking / attention to detail. It's getting powder coated as well !

I'm going to swap the complete top end and new turbo (T04E) / LR fuel rail / Aeroquip all in one session when all the parts are together / checked.

I'm sure there are good power gains to be had from proper attention to these parts, particularly in conjunction with my DPW & 3" straight-through exhaust (no cat), and MAP kit. The whole idea is to get a synergy from intake to exhaust.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:40 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Rick

How much did your exhaust valves cost you, as I about to get a set for the 2.7 head I am working on. Are you putting new springs and tappets in as well?

Will the flow work do much if you dont use a custom intake manifold?

How much power are you looking to acheive with this setup, and what kind of boost are you going to run?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Yan
Instructor

Here is the culprit:

The right most valve also has a really weird color, it looks like it overheated. Do you think that it REALLY needs to be changed or if it'll run a good amount of miles without problem?

It looks like the valve guide is pretty worn. We don't this really well on the pic, but will the new valve come with this guide?

Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Yan
Instructor

1) Is it usual for the missing metal chip to COMPLETY scrap the exhaust side of the turbine? I'm worried and I didn't look at it yet.

2) What are the BEST prices for exhaust valves and where can I order them? I come from Quebec, Canada.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually the missing metal chip goes right through the turbine with no ill effect.

Check EBS Racing in Nevada for parts prices.

Sam

Quick Reply: Are our heads rebuildable?