Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3" downpipe nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 04:07 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. Kudos to TurboTim for excellent customer service. Brett, I hope everything works out fine. Keep us posted.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The update is as follows:
I went to take the studs out of the turbo and they were so stuck that I had to weld a nut on to the stud to get them to come out. I got the first two out but then the next two broke off. So I drilled them and got the easyout to work on one but the last one I had to drill completly out and now there are no threads. So on monday I will be taking the hotside to a machine shop for them to fix. I started this project 2 fridays ago thinking I would have it done that weekend, but as I got going on it all the hardware was so bad it has taken me 10 times longer than planed and now I'm waiting on the hotside and hardware to come in. Also Tim or anyone else who has installed the downpipe, did you have any trouble with the downpipe to testpipe flange hitting the crossover??
Old 05-17-2004, 12:38 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally posted by Brett
The update is as follows:
I went to take the studs out of the turbo and they were so stuck that I had to weld a nut on to the stud to get them to come out. I got the first two out but then the next two broke off. So I drilled them and got the easyout to work on one but the last one I had to drill completly out and now there are no threads. So on monday I will be taking the hotside to a machine shop for them to fix. I started this project 2 fridays ago thinking I would have it done that weekend, but as I got going on it all the hardware was so bad it has taken me 10 times longer than planed and now I'm waiting on the hotside and hardware to come in. Also Tim or anyone else who has installed the downpipe, did you have any trouble with the downpipe to testpipe flange hitting the crossover??

If the turbo is not clocked(indexed) right then the downpipe will come in contact with the crossover.I sent you a privte message, did you get it?

Tim
Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim I got the PM. Thanks for the help. I sent out the hotside today to get fixed. I should have it back tomorrow or the next day and then I will install it.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:04 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brett, most of us have been there with the broken / snapped bolts / studs / nuts when dealing with the turbo and exhaust. Its a very anger enducing situation! But you get nice shiney new ones at the end!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very true, I just wish my car was about 13yrs newer. If it were I would already have it back on the road instead of in the air with none of the parts I have for it on.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Very true, I just wish my car was about 13yrs newer. If it were I would already have it back on the road instead of in the air with none of the parts I have for it on.
Step back a second and look at this more objectively. Do you know how much these cars cost back in the eighties? What an updated version would cost now? I'm willing to put up with the problems of this old car because if it were 13 years newer, I could not afford it. Part of it's appeal is what you get for the cost.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:19 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

With inflation for 18 years it would be approx NZD197,000 or circa USD122,360. This was based on the NZ new price.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

But can't I have it 13 yrs newer and as cheap as it is now???
Old 05-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

But can't I have it 13 yrs newer and as cheap as it is now???
NO

Quick Reply: 3" downpipe nightmare!