Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1989 951 ANDIAL 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 03:53 PM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 1989 951 ANDIAL 2.8

Hello to all. I haven't posted up much in these RL forums, but I'd like to share the story of my recently acquired 944 Turbo, and will be updating along the way with progress as it's made...

An acquaintance noticed my 944 (rebuild thread here) and mentioned that her uncle also had an "old Porsche," and was interested in selling it. She also cautioned - before handing over his contact info - that he was a bit difficult to deal with. A grumpy Porsche owner? I knew we'd be fast friends... I called as soon as I got home, and was not-so-politely asked to leave a message: "Leave a message. If I know you, I'll call you back. If I don't, I won't!" Well, despite not yet knowing uncle Riley, I left a message and hoped for the best. Thankfully, the phone rang a few minutes later, and after explaining his voicemail greeting, and then some mutual lamentation of telemarketers and spam calls, we got into the story of the car.

It was a 1989 944 Turbo, stone gray over black. In 1991, Uncle Riley (UR from now on) bought it from the original owner, and used it sparingly as a weekend and track car. The car had 65,500 miles on the clock, accompanied by full supporting documentation since day one. A stack of receipts. UR said it was in excellent condition. It was modified, however, and to a large extent. A built motor, gearset, pricey wheels, brakes, and suspension. He didn't want to think about the amount of money he'd spent on this car over the years, and was only selling because he could no longer drive it comfortably (I'm not looking forward to this day, either). I explained that the modifications were a bit of a negative for me, after having gone down the rabbit hole of mods myself, with past vehicles. I'd have to see it to get a sense for the quality of the build, and whether or not it was something I wanted to take on. So we decided on a day to look at the car.

I took my 944 for the drive out, since this represents familiar territory (my '84 was purchased here), and I figured UR might go easy on another 944 brother when it came time to negotiate (spoiler alert, he didn't). When I pulled into the drive, he was sitting outside, cane in hand. "I used to have one of those, too," he said. In fact, he had traded in his '84 944 for the 951. The visit was off to a good start, then.

Before opening the garage, UR was kind enough to invite me inside, where a neatly stacked pile of all kinds of paperwork sat conspicuously on the coffee table. Along with the car came it's original sticker, tourist delivery documentation, and dealer service warranty stamps, a hundred or more service & modification receipts, and even a Ward's motor book, with documented gas fill-ups, oil changes, consumables, and service notes since new. All miles were present and accounted for. A 944 Turbo with provenance! But this was far more information than I could process in one sitting. What had been done to this car, I asked?

UR explained that he'd been an instructor with his PCA chapter for race events, and spared no expense building a reliable, balanced, but streetable track car. Upon purchase in 1991 from the original owner, UR had a 2.8 stroker kit installed at EPE (a reputable shop in Natick, MA), and EPE had continued refining the setup to his wishes through the 90's and into the 2000's. All parts were top notch, I was assured. Only the dealer, and EPE had ever worked on it.

When the garage door creaked open, I was a little surprised. The exterior was beautifully kept, but had a few questionable exterior mods that stood out immediately. Optic yellow 968 mirrors and front lip. Okay, it's a track thing. There was also an "S" badge affixed to the rear, which is practically correct, but shouldn't really be there. All 1989 944 Turbos have the S option package as standard equipment, so it's not an S package car. But it really is. But they never had a badge. Anyhow, I empathized with UR's desire to differentiate. In the 90's and 00's, 944s in general were mostly looked down upon.

Surely, sporting a set of option codes like these would make anyone feel worthy:

Aside from the supposed 2.8 stroker kit and gearset, which were unseeable, I took in what else I could see: Fikse wheels on meaty Sport Cup tires, covering a set of Porsche "Big Red" Brembos with two-piece floating hat rotors. The underside was clean, too. Upgraded FabCar control arms with poly bushes all around. BB headers and full catless exhaust, one resonator. Upgraded turbo, fueling, AN-fitting stainless hoses, silicon vacuum hoses, billet pulleys, intake... this thing was clearly built to move. Importantly, the car's factory chassis bracing was also present and accounted for (as was the factory roll on the rear fenders). To my eye, the build passed muster, and then some. The interior was musty, dusty, but in good shape. Black leather, with a few red accoutrement that I'd be happy to switch back to black. My mind skipped ahead to detailing... stay focused.

Next on the list: see if it all works. Knowing that this 951 had been relatively dormant since the Obama administration, I was a little hesitant to drive - or even start the car, but UR assured me that he warmed it up every month, no problem... before pulling the pin, I pulled hood latch again. And then the cam cover grommet, to check the condition of the timing belt through the porthole (remember a bright flashlight, it'll show cracks/degradation in the rubber). The belt hadn't been changed for over a decade, but had fewer than a thousand miles on it, and looked perfect (famous last words, right?). The fluids were relatively fresh, having been changed at regular intervals when the car was inspected yearly at EPE. Everything looked good aside from some surface mold on the rubber hoses, and a few acorn shells from a mouse who'd camped out for a quick stint... pretty standard for a covered car living in a ground-floor garage. I crossed my fingers and started the car.

First start video

After the coolant was up to temp, the fans kicked on. Everything worked as it should, no leaks or funny noises. So I took it around the block to verify the integrity of the transmission and clutch. Aside from a high engagement point, everything felt tight and up to spec, no grinds or clunks to be heard. A little gear noise, increasing from 3rd to 4th to 5th, which was normal according to UR, after the upgraded gearset was installed in the 90's. The suspension felt great, and brakes progressive, but the track pads made their presence known at low effort. A more spirited drive would have to wait, as I wasn't about to tempt fate on old gas, oil, and belts. It wasn't easy, either, as the turbo whistled a sultry song at low RPM. I was definitely into it.

So it was time to make a deal, or pass... and for what I figured the car was worth, what I knew it needed, and what it might need (looking at you, clutch)... I made an offer, and subsequently, a few more. Finally, we made the deal for the car, along with some boxes of stock parts, and I handed over a deposit. I made it home that night thoroughly exhausted, but really excited at the prospect of digging into this 944 Turbo.

After arranging logistics, and my first truck & car-carrier rental, I made the drive back out to Massachusetts to finalize the transaction. This time, with the help of friends. Patrick (pfarah7 on these boards) offered to join in the process, and I quickly took him up on that generosity. He's an experienced hand with anything 944-related and a stand-up guy, to boot. Patrick arrived at UR's before I did, in fact, and was kind enough to leave the 951 for me rather than scooping it up for himself! Before I knew it, the deal was done, parts loaded up, and UR was waving us goodbye. There wasn't enough space to put the car on the trailer from his driveway, so we went a quarter mile or so down the road to a wide but quiet residential street, where I gently drove her up the U-haul ramps (great for low cars, by the way!). After a crash course in trailer-maneuvering, many thanks to Patrick's experience and instruction here, we parted ways and were on our separate ways home...

Getting back with such precious cargo was a bit nerve-racking, but slow and steady always wins the race, for jobs like this. Lucky for me, I had a top-notch navigator and wing-gal on board, who kept me in the zone and in good spirits for the haul. Having now driven a small rig, I'm astonished how little respect or understanding people have for mass and inertia with regard to trucks and trailers on the road. Those long-haul truckers sure have a tough job. Once home, I put the car in the garage, and started to dig into the paper work. Usually, my first inclination is to clean. Clean, take everything apart and clean it again. See what's broken, needs to be refinished, replaced, or whatever else. That's the fun part for me, making things look good again or hunting down a rare stock replacement or upgrade. But that game would have to wait. I wanted to read the story of the car before diving in.

The sticker, tourist delivery, dealer records, mileage book, all that was really nice. More than I've had for any other used vehicle I'd owned. UR had done right by this car in his 30+ year stewardship. Maybe he didn't get into specifics because he didn't know the significance, or thought I didn't, but the EPE documentation is where things got substantially more interesting. According to records, over the winter of '91, the engine was built, as I'd been told. What I wasn't told, was that this was an ANDIAL stroker kit.

Later, EPE used Jon Milledge Engineering in consultation for headwork and oiling modifications and components. As many of you know, these were among the best names in the game at that time. I'll not go into too much detail on ANDIAL, but they were purchased by Porsche Historic Motorsport in 2013, and their record speaks for itself... '87 the top 5 cars at the 24h of Daytona were all ANDIAL Porsches. I can't imagine how dominant this thing would've been around the track back in the day! OK, the mirrors and lip check out now. Somehow, they immediately appeared less Safety and more Speed.

At this point, the nature of the engine modifications also took on a different light. Instead of trying to get things back to stock, my goal shifted to letting this build stand for what it was and is. Maybe minus the bright colors. There is a lot of aged out maintenance to catch up on, a few modifications I'd like to get back to stock (namely the intake and HCV setup)... but for once, project scope has decreased. Maintain & drive. A mantra, no?

Since bringing her home in November, I've managed to put about 200 gentle miles on the working (such wow!) odometer, using up the remainder of the old fuel. UR said he kept it at half a tank, and used fuel stabilizer. I topped off that off with Shell 93 and bottle of Techron, and ran it through. Also installed a new set of black premium floor mats by Lloyd, and a new black leather shift boot to replace the red. Things are looking pretty good in here:

The car drives very smoothly, and is a pleasure around local Hudson Valley back roads, but I'm not pushing it on cold, old track tires, and old belts. Warmups and weekly putters, until I catch up on maintenance. I've detailed the car in, out, and under, and checked all the crevices...

I replaced the battery, bled the brakes, and changed the oil, which was sampled for BlackStone analysis. Cleaned out the intake & intercooler, and did a proper cover-off inspection of the belts (which are still convincingly fresh after all these years... but not to be trusted!).

Underside inspected and wiped down:

I also cleared some paperwork issues - the car had been paid off in the early 90's (to a now-long-defunct bank) but still carried a lien on the title. Thankfully, this was resolved though some due diligence, and a little help from the NY DMW. The car passed inspection at my local shop without issue, though I had to source and put on a set of Cup II's with decent tires, because the old Sport Cups weren't going to cut it. Last week, I rec'd new timing & balance belt components, along with a gallon of Swepco 201. Will be adding a water pump to that pile, shortly. Once maintenance is complete, I'll feel more comfortable exploring some revs, and putting the car through its paces a little bit more. Should also have some decent video to share at that point.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

A few more pictures:

The crew:

Will be addressing the HCV and intake situations after I'm caught up on maintenance, and may replace a few plastic bits, hardware, and re-zinc accessories where possible:

In my element, a bit of detailing:

New Lloyd's mats; they're really well put together:

If you're still reading, thanks for making your way through my long-winded post! More to come...
The following users liked this post:
MG944 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:22 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Congratulations! And I’m jealous this gem probably was hiding not too far from me in the Boston area.
SilverLined (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:50 PM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
Congratulations! And I’m jealous this gem probably was hiding not too far from me in the Boston area.
Thanks, sm. I'm lucky to have come across this car. "UR" really loved it, and had only shown to a couple of local prospective buyers, who offered low (likely based on the title issue, and not understanding the credibility of the build). Hoping to do it justice.

The Boston area is great for old P-cars, but only if they haven't been subjected to Boston area winters!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Great find! Looks like it will come up really nicely. Would definitely look to move the air filter though.
SilverLined (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:55 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 974 Posts

Good score but do you mind letting us know a ballpark purchase price
SilverLined (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 11:31 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Great find and great story, thanks for sharing!

While I don't know him personally, Jerry from EPE is part of a Porsche technicians email group that I have been a part of for a long time. I can tell from our correspondence that it's a good shop.

The yellow mirrors and lip are a bit much, but then again are also kind of a cool tribute to the previous owner. I'd try them out for a bit, and if it doesn't work, get them painted.
SilverLined (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 08:20 AM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 132 Posts

Great story and find, congratulations!

The history and connection with ANDIAL is very special as you know and explained well.

Thank you for sharing and enjoy your ownership of this special find.
The following 2 users liked this post by Constantine:
SeaCay (02-08-2023), SilverLined (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 03:56 PM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the kind replies! I'll try to address questions in one post:
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great find! Looks like it will come up really nicely. Would definitely look to move the air filter though.
100%. I have the stock intake ready to install. Before that goes on, the HCV must be moved back to the original location behind/below the speed & reference sensors. UR had replaced the climate control unit multiple times, and eventually got fed up and had the HCV moved there. It's not right, but it sure is convenient! The cable to open/close the valve was moved to the side, under the dash, and is currently manual.

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
Good score but do you mind letting us know a ballpark purchase price
Staying mum here, sorry EVOMMM. We paid more than we had hoped, but I would make the same deal again!

Originally Posted by Droops83
Great find and great story, thanks for sharing!

While I don't know him personally, Jerry from EPE is part of a Porsche technicians email group that I have been a part of for a long time. I can tell from our correspondence that it's a good shop.

The yellow mirrors and lip are a bit much, but then again are also kind of a cool tribute to the previous owner. I'd try them out for a bit, and if it doesn't work, get them painted.
Yes, Jerry is a great guy, and very knowledgeable; I was able to speak with him and another tech at length after purchasing the car. They obviously knew it well, and vouched for both the vehicle and owner. In fact, this car was sponsored by EPE for quite some time, and sported their banner on the windshield.

Originally Posted by Constantine
Great story and find, congratulations!

The history and connection with ANDIAL is very special as you know and explained well.

Thank you for sharing and enjoy your ownership of this special find.
I was really excited to see that it was a legit ANDIAL kit. They are the real deal! They had a very short run with the 951, perhaps it was a little too good a package, and was eating into (or upsetting) their 911 business??

Thanks again to all for posting up.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:51 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The stock intake assembly will strangle the motor though. Do you want it like that as you're a stock kinda guy or are there insurance reasons?
Old 02-09-2023, 07:38 PM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The stock intake assembly will strangle the motor though. Do you want it like that as you're a stock kinda guy or are there insurance reasons?
I'm still learning this platform, but from the bit of research I've done, the car is likely in the neighborhood of ~300whp (though it does make more torque than that). My understanding is that the stock airbox doesn't really hold things back at these power levels, and that the AFM/barn-door is a bigger restriction. Am I misinformed? Seems from your sig that you'd know better, so I'm all ears!

I prefer the appearance of the stock intake, for sure, but if it will affect power levels I'll probably just leave it in the pile, and replace the old K&N cone filter with a new one. No attachments or preconceptions about stock vs modded, just looking to do what's best for the car. I can't imagine the current location is pulling clean air while sitting, but I'd expect the airflow to be pretty good once the car is at speed. Hagerty is great, and are informed of the mods, so I don't think an intake here or there will bother them.

Thanks for your input, 333pg333!
Old 02-11-2023, 10:22 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Unless it has been changed since then, I put an Albins short gear set in Steve's (UR) transmission for that car many years ago. 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.
SilverLined (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 09:53 PM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Unless it has been changed since then, I put an Albins short gear set in Steve's (UR) transmission for that car many years ago. 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.
Much appreciate your posting up about the work you did on this car, Kevin. Your name has come up many times in posts and conversation about the go-to transmission specialists in the Porsche community, so I'm glad to make the connection. Will PM you, for sure. The only information I had on the transmission was the installation receipt and hand-written ratios, including a "spreadsheet" for speed/revs by gear. I did not know they were Albins, thank you! They're still in the car; fifth gear at 65MPH turns about 3250RPM.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:48 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Supposedly when the first MAF kits appeared, half of the gains they gave were from removing the standard airbox and placing the air filter behind the headlamp.
SilverLined (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 10:52 AM
SilverLined
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blade7
Supposedly when the first MAF kits appeared, half of the gains they gave were from removing the standard airbox and placing the air filter behind the headlamp.
I don't doubt it, but most of these comparisons were done on the dyno, where fresh air is hard to come by. Published power numbers would likely reflect that. It's my understanding that the original/prototype ANDIAL 2.8 stroker build, commissioned by Jim Light and detailed in the April '91 edition of Excellence magazine, used the original intake setup. I don't plan on changing to a MAF setup, despite the improvements left on the table. I'd assume a re-tune would be in order, and at that point we are headed down the rabbit hole...

Here's the article from Excellence:

Considering the fact that the car was purchased by UR in June of '91, and the subsequent stroker build that winter, I'd assume that this magazine article was the impetus for the acquisition and modification of this 951.

With the spring-like weather we've been having, I was able to get out for another drive. As it sits now on Cup II's:

Will need to replace the tires on both sets of 17" wheels, so either the Fikses or Cup II's will likely go up for sale, as 3 sets of wheels (including the stock 16" Club Sports) is a little much. The simplicity of these 993 Cup II wheels is growing on me, for sure!

Quick Reply: 1989 951 ANDIAL 2.8