Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DRAG RaceIntake Manifold!Picture.Tunners, and other's opinions and qustions wellcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Turbo16v
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That looks like the same older style SFR intake I am running on my car except it is powdercoated black.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First to MattH ..No it's not a chevy intake mnifold and IT DOES flow more than stock...believe me I know this..and it's WAY better than stock ..
NOW for Turbo16V..brother..awesome manifold!! looks EXACTLY like mine..EXACTLY!!! even the huge throttle body!!! how did you get that pic up that large??
AND...what intercooler to throttle pipe do you use..do you have to special make them or will the stock work..and if the stock don't work then can I use aftermarket type IC pipes like Speedforce,Lindsey, Boostguy's(JSM)? nice engine bay BTW.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Turbo16v
Instructor

I'm still in the process of finishing my car so I didn't get a chance to make my intercooler pipes yet but to answer your question, Yes you will need to make new ones. I think SFR sells them but they would be way easer to make yourself. When I get mine finished I can email you some pics. It will be much easier to run the intercooler in reverse flow. Meaning use the original inlet side as the outlet. Also, I need to run the NA filler neck for the upper radiator hose due to throttle body clearance issues but you may not have the same problem. As for the size of the pic, I just attached it from my picture file saved on my computer. Not sure how to resize.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Is it hard to mount the intercoler in reverse?? I think I would rather fabricate my own ..looks like it's allmost a straight shot from intercooler to the intake manifold....rather leave the intercooler alone to original design...
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Turbo16v
Instructor

What I meant by running the intercooler in reverse is using the inlet as the outlet. You do not move the intercooler at all just the side that normally went to your turbo now connects to your throttle body and the side that normally connects to your throttle body now goes to your turbo.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

aaaaaahhhhhhhh good one does that affect flow..the sides are made like that for a reason I believe..not sure though..not disputing you just want to make sure.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Turbo16v
Instructor

As far as I know intercoolers really aren't directional. It should flow the same either way. Some people have claimed that the 951 intercooler actually flows better when run "in reverse" but I feel it won't make a difference one way or the other.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

I think Lindsey has some info on there website showing that the intercooler loses signifant efficiency when run in reverse. If you can keep from running in reverse, I'd do it.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I thought so too becouse the way they made each end..I am no expert but to me it just looks that way...I have an idea though....a pipe slightly curved like the one lindsey sells anly a bit different..maybe I can get boostguy to do it....
Turbo 16v...do you have flow numbers on your manifold?
Old 05-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Darius Juca
First to MattH ..No it's not a chevy intake mnifold and IT DOES flow more than stock...believe me I know this..and it's WAY better than stock ..
How much more than stock does it flow? Let's hear the numbers.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

MattH ..how you doing..if you read my replyes above , the previous owner of the manifold had it on a 490 rwhp car and he sayes it flows 30% more than stock..I believe it..How much does the sfr one flow..they look allmost identical.....hey we'll se won't we...
Old 05-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darius, I didnt ask that, sorry, Peckster did. I dont believe it either but I didnt ask the question, just to clarify.

I have yet to see anything from anyone showing that the intake upgrade on these was worthwhile aside from the ease of access to the turbo.

Just a skeptic
Old 05-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

aaaah sorry that was for peckster...well what I wonder is why Lindsey racing would go thru the trouble of developing theirs..and believe me Dave and Mike know flow and test it on a real flow bench...if you want proof ask them for the numbers..as for my intake manifold..the guy had it on a dyno and there was a deffinite improvement!!!! For my car the improvment is not as drmatic but never the less it is deffinitelly an improvment in the runner flow...this manifold does not completely cure the discrepancyes but it deffinitelly does a better job then the stock.....the stock was not developed with the upgrades I have in mind..and once I upgrade the head you can bet that the manifold will have a greater impact...BTW the manifold was taken off becouse the car was parted out....I am in the process of negociating the engine mangement system he had on it...the guy parted the car to get more of his investment back since he blew the motor...rod thru block.....also you may want to take a look at the manifold I and Turbo16v have ..and you will see how just by design it flows more....Porsche also had to make their stock manifold fit in with all the other crap like the airbox etc so they also had a mind toward looks hence the complicated manifold...This manifold is simple straight forward and while it does not look pretty....it does what it's meant to...flow....I encourage you to look into VENOM DRAG manifold ..type a search in to google....and let me know why so many people are happy to get rid of the stock one..BTW the one i have had to be made custom as they don't deal in porsche's especially in 951's..they cut the mounting off a stock 951 manifold and they did flow bench it for the owner..30% more flow
PS..The SFR manifold Turbo16V has is a better flowing unit and it's exactly what mine is like...I also found out that they didn't just stick a rechtangualr box on there with shorter more consistent runners but also did work on the inside to try to make sure all runners get equal flow...the did testing on it...better have for $900!!!! man did I get it at a steal for 250!!!! now head, headers and cross over upgrade and I will get the maximum benefit!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, so I'm the one who has to ask all the rude questions?

So be it. But we know from experience that sellers have been known, from time to time, to overstate things slightly.

So just because he said it was way better, doesn't necessarily make it so.

When you get a flow test, is there some document like with a dyno test or injector test? I have no idea, just wondering.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I understand and agree to the fact that sellers overstate and so foth but this guy got it iff a guy who had beeb using it for a while..now I am really curious..

Turbo16V did Tim at SFR give you flow numbers on that intake you have...it's very very similar to mine and I was wondering...

Quick Reply: DRAG RaceIntake Manifold!Picture.Tunners, and other's opinions and qustions wellcome!