Ferrodo brake pads? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrodo brake pads? Anyone?

I'm DYING for the right brake pad- have had HORRIBLE luck- I know there are people who have had Ferrodos- anyone tried them? Let me know- I HAVE to have a GOOD street pedal w/GREAT initial bite & NO SQUEEL- no fade is important too, BUT, I realize that what I'm looking for WOULD fade on a track, before a good TRACK pad... Any info? I've been advised AND DISadvised, about equally, on Pagid Blacks, Pagid Blues(?), PAgid Sports (not sure which one/color they are) , Mintex (not sure which ones, but, silvers aren't supposed to be made anymore- I saw them listed, BUT, NOT for the rear of my car, so....), Axxis MM's (NEVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!), PBR MM's (see Axxis MM), EBC Green, EBC Red, &, Hawk HPC- I don't understand how ALL of these pads can have equal opinions, both POITIVELY & NEGATIVELY- It's REALLY upsetting me... So, anyone w/different pad info, ESPECIALLY ferrodo, PLEASE let me know....

Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Mainer
AutoX

I tried Ferrodos a while ago on my old Audi A4. They had great bite, no squeel & low brake dust. Didn't track it though...

I have Pagid's (not sure which ones) on the Wife's A6 wagon without squeel. Grab really nice. Probably more dust than the Ferrodos.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:32 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Robby you really like talking about brakes don't ya! lol.
BTW what did a search turn up on this subject>???
Old 05-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Robby,

A friend of mine has a job in automotive testing of brake systems and he performed an exhaustive testing sequence on his private 968CS.

The basic conclusion after running through the whole range of Pagids, etc. is the following:
"I ended up trying some Hawk Blue "9012" pads... <snip> These pads ended up working GREAT. They offered better cold braking than the Pagid's (still need to be warmed a bit though), slightly better life, and best of yet, they don't loose their bedding when driving on the street.

This means I can leave them in all the time, not worry about re-bedding, and not worry about pad transfer or fade on the Nordschleife. Not to mention they're cheaper than the Pagids too.

<snip>

The downfalls of this pad is a reputation for having corrossive brake dust. I've seen this after the first time it rained, the brake dust on my wheels turned orange in places! But it all washes off, doesn't seem to have eaten the finish on the wheels at all. Your mileage may vary. I'm now on my second set in the 968, and have even left them in over the winter, they're very livable around town. The noise isn't so bad once I made the realisation that running street pads in the rear cuts down on 80% of the sqealing around town. And since my rear pads always last longer than the fronts, its clear there's not an overheating problem in the back."

Hope this helps...
Old 05-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mainer- thanks a lot for the Ferrodo info- do you know if there are different compounds? If so, which do I want?

John- no, I'm just desperate & at at the end of my rope... I actually hate talking about brakes at this point- I've been doing searches for several days- I just responded to a several month old thread a little while ago- unfortunately, most of the info was the exact same stuff I've been getting- over & over- the same few pads- the bad part is that there is COMPLETELY OPPOSITE & CONTRADICTING info on EACH of the pads this just fu**ing KILLS me... I've been wading through dif threads each day- hopefully I'll dig up something new soon- the only reasson for this thread was to come up w/Ferrodo info- they did very well on the Jetta tested in SCC IIRC, so, I was just curious. ALSO- there are HUNDREDS of people registered on RL w/944's- I've only gotten responses from ~15 total people- I'm just wondering what it takes to get each of them to post something about their pads experiences- I know that not everyone answers EVERY post, but, I still expected a few more replies- especially since so many of us like to give our own opinions...

Swedeboy- actually, I'm a little MORE confused based on your reply You said the friend used the Pagids- they make at LEAST two dif compounds- did he try BOTH? I'm STILL trying to find out which is which- I think I'm going to to try to find their homepage online & see if it lays out all their info... You said the Hawks needed to be warmed up a little- this is kind of a relative thing, so, hard to tell, BUT, you ALSO said you had gotten used to the squeeling- I wont deal w/ANY squeeling- it's embarrasing & annoying- at this point, w/the SFR catback, my cars is way too loud as it is- I'm trying to find a way to weld an extra muffler (OR THREE) into the system to quieten it down- I want my car to be as powerful as a modded Supra TT or Viper, as light as a Lotus Elise, handle as well & be as comfortable as a modded E36M3, be as beautiful as a 911 (pick a year), & be as quiet as a BMW 540i... yeah, I know- "...good luck..." Please let me know a little more about this stuff if you can- thankksa lot for your input...

Old 05-11-2004, 01:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run Ferodo's on my 951. I got them from Performance products a few years back. They are better than metal masters at the track in that they can stand up to more heat, but do squeal on my car on the street. At the time I was tracking my Turbo frequently and made the change. I still like them, but the one thing I notice is that do squeel under soft braking. Get on them hard and they don't, but light gentle stop they do.

I also run Hawk Blue race pads on my 944-spec car. Let me tell you those suckers are the best brakes I have used. They are RACE pads however and will eat rotors if used on the street. They do stop when cold, but that is time the wear the rotors. When warm on the track they are pretty good on rotors. Still they stop much better than the Ferodo's. Than again they should, but really should not be used on the street due to excessive rotor wear when cold. I have not used any othek Hawk pad. Oh these things can squeal under hard braking. I have some in car video of these things swealing loudly under hard braking on the track. They don't do it all the time, but they do sqeal on occasion.

The Ferodo's I got are not a bad street upgrade (mostly street light-meduim track) pad, but the KFP gold's might be better for street/track use and the metal masters are better for street use. I have never used the KFP's on the street however. I don't know why you don't like the metal masters. I have had good experience with them. They are not great at the track (just ok), but work fine for the street.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:25 PM
ATL951
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I had Ferodo pads on my old 85 VW scirocco and they worked great - no squeal. Have ordered a pair of front pads for the 951 which should arrive today from Perf Products - will give an update once i've had a chance to install and test em out.

-JG
Old 05-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Quick summary of pads I have used:

Ferodo DP 2500 : great street performance , no fade, moderate dust , could use it for light track duty
Ferodo DP 3000 : more of a track pad but I have also used them on the street and I would not recommend it for that, can be scary in the rain if you have not used the brakes for some distance and your first stab on the brakes produces nothing, so you have to "ride" them to get them up to temperature.
Pagid Orange: great performance for street and track, ok dust but squeal like hell especially in stop and go traffic. Ferrari uses them if you order a 575M with the Fiorano pkg.
Pagid Black : race pad, in my opinion suicidal on the street because you cannot get them to operating temperature.
Pagid Blue: I currently use them in my 951S and Audi S4 with Stoptech calipers and for me it is the best pad for spirited street driving and light track duty, moderate dust, good bite when cold and hardly any noise.

Remember, proper bedding in is crucial for best pad performance ( each manufacture has a slightly different procedure) and using / changing good brake fluid ( ATE, Motul) goes without saying.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Robby,

You can find the complete assessment here

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:02 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I've used their street pads for years on my old Scirocco, and I put a set in my '89 944S2 for auto-x, as my Porterfield R4's are too noisy for street use. I initially tried the Ferodos as they came out on top on a magazines brake pad test. I've been really happy with them on both cars, they have great bite and seem to hold up great for moderate use, they are a bit dusty though, -but they're dead-quiet for me.
They even work very well for auto-x, a couple of friends have driven my car at autox and liked the brakes. I like them well enough to recommend them for auto-x, although I don't think they would hold up for harder lapping days. I think they are one of the cheaper pads, $60 an axle? Give 'em a try!, I think you'll like them. (I'm last years street tire auto-x champ in my region, and I used the Ferodos for most of the season, -currently leading again).
I've had 2 sets of Metal Masters (Scirocco and a '77 924), I won't ever buy them again, they just don't feel right to me, -too much pedal pressure required. I'll definitely buy Ferodos again.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a LOT EVERYONE! AWESOME resonses- I REALLY appreciate it

To try to answer everyone- I used Repco MM's on my 1st Gen integra a few times- at FIRST, I liked them- no squeel, felt decent, etc, MAYBE slightly more rotor wear, but hardly noticeable, BUT, eventually went back to a softer compound- I noticed a BIG improvement over hte MM's in inital bite & overal grip- THAT is the reason why I hate these Axxis MM's on my 951- I use WAY WAY too much pedal pressure, compared to the PBR Deluxe, to get it to stop- they don't squeel, except occasionally, under hard braking- they have NOT faded on me yet- the PBR's did- the PBR's were ALSO noisy- one thing I don't think I've mentioned & I asssume you guy's know, is: most of the time, smaller caliper/pads do NOT have the probs w/squeeling that larger caliper/pads do- hence a Scirroco or Integra NOT squeeling, while a Porsche would use the same pad but have irritating noises...

Are ALL of you running Ferrodos on Porsches referring to the DP2500? I assume, based on 1988952, that they would be BEST for street, AND, the most UNlikely to squeel(?)- ALSO- M758- did you use anti-squeel shims, or not?

Jim- I saw teh Ferrodos listed more like $100/axle last night- where are yopu buying them? $60/axle would be great, although, $100/axle is STILL HALF of PAgids run...

Sounds like IF I run PAgids, I'll bve getting the Blues, WITH anti-squeel Shims- good idea?

Maybe I'll flip a coin b/t the Ferrodo DP2500 & Pagid Blue- EITHER way, w/anti-squeel shims....

Swedeboy- I'm aboiut to leave for a few hours- when I get back, I'm going to study that link you sent- that looks very interesting- thanks a LOT- to EVERYONE!!!

Old 05-12-2004, 11:39 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep used anti-sqeel shims.

The don't sqeel all the time, but do sqeal some times.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks M-man....

Old 05-12-2004, 02:33 PM
jim944s2
Racer

I bought mine from German parts and restoration http://www.gprparts.com/) However, their computer didn't show any front pad other than the M030 for my '89 S2, so you'll have to be clear about what you need (but it looks like you have the bigger fr brakes anyway), I think the bigger fronts they sent me first were less than $80 for the set. I know I always ask for 'ferodo street pads', the box they came in says 'FDB 451'.
I buy my Porterfields R4's from www.fordahlmotorsports.com, I think those rears are 'only' about $120, and that is a top-notch porsche-race shop, those are what they say is best. Everybody I know who uses them for track use has good luck w/ them. -those are noisy!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally posted by jim944s2
I buy my Porterfields R4's from www.fordahlmotorsports.com, I think those rears are 'only' about $120, and that is a top-notch porsche-race shop, those are what they say is best. Everybody I know who uses them for track use has good luck w/ them. -those are noisy!
I use the Porterfield R4S (street) compound, they are excellent. Designed for street/autox. No noise, minimal dust. IIRC Porterfield has ~5 street compounds and ~15 race compounds.
Also sold by AJR and EBS Racing.

Quick Reply: Ferrodo brake pads? Anyone?