Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone driven a Mazda6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Brian S.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone driven a Mazda6?

Due to the lease on my '02 Ford Exploder being up soon (August) I'm weighing my options for a different vehicle. (daily driver)

I want to purchase, not lease, due to lots of driving for work. I don't need a truck & would like a sporty sedan. My price limit is around $20-$25k. I've been thinking about a used Linc LS, or similar car.

While looking at my options I ran across the Mazda6. While I haven't driven one yet, it looks like a good bang for your buck. 220hp, 5-speed, leather, decked-out & new with a 4-yr 48k warranty for about 25-grand...

Has anyone driven one???

Any thoughts on other rides I should be looking at???

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2004, 06:59 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I drove one at the mazda rev it up event last year.

http://www.mazdarevitup.com

This year they're doing the Mazda 3 though.

Anyway, I only drove it at relatively low speeds (autocross...max speed of 40-45mph on this particular course)...but I thought it handled decently and had decent power. Nothing amazing, but it didn't dissapoint.

I drove the automatic and my main complaint was a lack of power off the line, unless you do a small brake stand (1500rpm is enough, just to get it off idle).
Old 05-06-2004, 07:43 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mitsubishi Evo VIII

One year old EVOs are selling in the low to mid twenties now. That car will dust just about everything else on the road, especially after it is chipped.

Good luck!

Greg W
Old 05-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Mazda 6 is FWD, right?

I'm not that fond of FWD. I have a manual Turbo PTCruiser, which has a good number of bells and whistles for around $21-22k, and it takes off like a rocket, but I can easily downshift to second and screech the tires.

I attribute some of this to the fact it's a sparky (yet practical) car, but also to the fact it's FWD. But for boppin around town, guess it's no big deal.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:10 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mitsubishi Evo VIII

Originally posted by GWTurboS
One year old EVOs are selling in the low to mid twenties now. That car will dust just about everything else on the road, especially after it is chipped.

Good luck!

Greg W
Yeah and they last as long as bananas.
(When you track them anyway)
Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Brian S.
Instructor

The EVO's don't do much for me..........remind me of a Neon.......but to each his own
Old 05-06-2004, 11:21 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't driven one, but I have heard good things about the Acura TSX. It isn't super powerful, but it is supposed to be very well built and a great all-around car.

Max
Old 05-06-2004, 11:23 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I test drove one about a month after they came out. I didnt really get to test it in the twisties, but it was a very smooth ride, with some great power for changing lanes. Felt solid as hell up to 90mph (at which the Dealer grabbed the arm-rest and i slowed).
Old 05-07-2004, 01:15 AM
azmi951
Drifting

I work at a proving ground for a major auto manufacturer and drive A LOT of vehicles. The Mazda 6 has horrible seats and no power even from the V6. Look at the Altima 5 speed V6 that motor has been one of Wards 10 best for years. The Altima is way more fun and there should be some parts out there for it.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:08 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I've had one as a rental car a couple of times. It seems like a nice car, although I felt that the brakes leave a bit to be desired in terms of both feel and performance. The nicer versions of the car might be better. Overall, I thought that it handled surprisingly well and seemed pretty eager.

Quick Reply: Anyone driven a Mazda6?