Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does anyone have any info on this 944 S2 3.0 turbo build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022 | 11:56 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I seem to recall that the sum of the parts added up to quite a bit more than sherry66 had the car advertised for. I don't know what the guy you bought it from asked for it. But I expect it was plenty more.
Old 08-23-2022 | 12:07 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
I seem to recall that the sum of the parts added up to quite a bit more than sherry66 had the car advertised for. I don't know what the guy you bought it from asked for it. But I expect it was plenty more.
certainly was, and having been through the car, too much - but, the old skyline is far worse

Gear 5 is also suffering, so I'll be sourcing a new gear and doing a full rebuild to get it in the best shape possible.

Last edited by stuartb; 08-23-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2022 | 04:34 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It certainly was Blade7 , I sold the car for £10,500 as a non legal track car with no mot which needed sorting as I did not have the time. The sunroof delete cost not far half of that , let alone flanged steel liners etc
Don't know how it was worded when it was re sold but it had been sat unmoved in my garage for 5 years after its one trip to the dyno.
The downpipe is a Fabspeed with 3" stainless exhaust don't know why you want a flexi. And Augment had 300hp at .65 bar so not sure about the timing .
I do regret selling this now and would be happy to buy it back for what I sold it for if you want to sell.
Old 08-23-2022 | 05:55 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sherry66
It certainly was Blade7 , I sold the car for £10,500 as a non legal track car with no mot which needed sorting as I did not have the time. The sunroof delete cost not far half of that , let alone flanged steel liners etc
Don't know how it was worded when it was re sold but it had been sat unmoved in my garage for 5 years after its one trip to the dyno.
The downpipe is a Fabspeed with 3" stainless exhaust don't know why you want a flexi. And Augment had 300hp at .65 bar so not sure about the timing .
I do regret selling this now and would be happy to buy it back for what I sold it for if you want to sell.
Sherry66, this is a friend of mine who does high end performance exhausts over here https://www.instagram.com/milletechexhaust/

This is the work done for my GTR single turbo build. It is my limited understanding that, the flexi provides a bit of give, so that vibrations are dramatically reduced and it can stop things cracking. Since I am a chequebook mechanic, this is only based on what I've been told by people who do this for a living. Im not pretending to know what I'm talking about. Based on my limited understanding, it does make sense.

Since this photo was taken it was ceramic coated black and wrapped all over, but you can see the design. It seems there is almost no room to do this in the Porsche so we're going to need to think a bit.

Let's just say the latest owner's advert certainly did a good job of overselling it - but we're working our way through the issues and I'm sure in a few weeks it will be usable, then can be improved step by step. Since it was retimed, the noises have gone away mostly, and the belt whine is gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by stuartb:
333pg333 (08-24-2022), J1NX3D (08-23-2022)
Old 08-25-2022 | 04:31 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by sherry66
I think you should sell me the engine you've just taken out .
Old 09-09-2022 | 05:37 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Further update, we've continued to strip the transmission and keep finding more and more issues to resolve- we are making progress but time for parts to arrive is slowing things down.

Managed to source a new gear from the USA that drives the cooler, cant be bought from Porsche anymore. That should be here soon.
https://fhmotortsport.com/collection...P-OywmmuyJoR8U

Also managed to get a new 5th gear and other bits and bobs that were needed direct from Porsche, which was a result.

This part came out when being stripped, and the guys are pretty sure this is balanced from the factory, and then repaired, poorly - resulting in it not being balanced. This has gone off to be rebalanced locally so that probably contributed to problems explained later.

The torque tube bearings are shot, so this had to be stripped, and of course that means some of the rubber carriers bit the dust when it was being disassembled and are being replaced.

Hoping to have it all back together when the part from the US arrives and the torque tube is rebuilt, then we can start on all the oil leaks and see why it's smoking on overrun ...

https://www.restoration-design.eu/pr...ft-torque.html

Fortunately, the GTR is performing flawlessly since we finished it, so have been enjoying that at the weekends and attending a few shows, mostly recently with the convoy from Supercar Owners Circle that toured Croatia- quite a sight to see 6 Bugattis and Paganis etc in a single line!

The Pagani that crashed was on my street and I'm very familiar with that section of tarmac, as it's extremely slippery. Further down the road they had used a machine to grind up the road and remove part of the top layer to add grip, but they didn't get to this part yet.

Old 09-09-2022 | 06:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Oooh....that looks $pendy!
Old 09-10-2022 | 03:56 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Are you doing the work yourself ?
I only ask as the bearings were new .
Old 09-12-2022 | 03:58 PM
sherry66
Instructor

No it wasn't balanced after welding and full disclosure neither were the clutch and flywheel because I built this at home myself to play on a track with .
They all are on my other car because that is the one I use on the road !
Here are a few photos of me putting engine together for you to pick the bones out of.

Old 09-16-2022 | 03:58 AM
stuartb
Intermediate

No, Auto Partes are doing the work, they are a reputable restoration shop and also do a lot of work for UK customers who ship their cars here. A lot of old Porsches were rebuilt, you can see some 911's in the photos.

The bearings were probably shot because various components were not balanced, so the vibration killed them. It's not a job they wanted to do, because it's a pain to get the parts.

Looks like we also need new support bearings. Ordering them from here.
https://partworks.de/en-en-en-en-en-...starr-l-r.html

The new rubber/bearings arrive from Slovenia, after market, look better than OEM.

The complete underfloor also needs redoing as we've found moisture under the underseal, so that's another big job that will need tending to as soon as the season is over if we manage to get there in time before the weather stops us driving at Grobnik.

Old 09-16-2022 | 07:30 AM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice work!

hope my car survives storage in mid-northern USA
Old 09-17-2022 | 01:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Looks like you're doing a really great thorough job on the car. Congratulations.
Old 09-17-2022 | 06:14 PM
blade7
Drifting

Seems like a lot of complaining going on, considering what the builder sold the car for...
Old 09-18-2022 | 03:53 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blade7
Seems like a lot of complaining going on, considering what the builder sold the car for...
Lot of complaining? Just posting the work we are doing. I went in cold and trusted what the previous owner told me, not the original builder- I'm over that now and getting on with it.

I'll stop posting, makes no odds to me.
Old 09-19-2022 | 04:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuartb
Lot of complaining? Just posting the work we are doing. I went in cold and trusted what the previous owner told me, not the original builder- I'm over that now and getting on with it.

I'll stop posting, makes no odds to me.
I for one am enjoying your posts. Please continue.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any info on this 944 S2 3.0 turbo build?