Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help: Inner Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 12:00 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help: Inner Tie Rod

Ok, so during inspection the mechanic said I needed a new Inner tie rod end... I currently have the car up on jack stands because i just finished replacing the front rotors and pads.... The outer tie rod end looks easy to change, because it's right out in the open... The inner is apparently a different story... First of all, is there a seperate part number from in inner tie rod end and an outer? Anyone have a pic of what i should be looking for? Any help would be great guys.... thanks...
Old 04-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested, I've actually got two inner tie rods that are in very good condition. I was going to put them up on ebay, but shoot me a PM, if you're interested. I'll need to make certain that they fit an early offset car.

Here's a link to the full set that I'm selling.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

The pictures should help you to better understand what needs to be done. The outer tie rod is the section with the ball joint, that threads onto the shaft. The shaft, and integrated ball joint make up the inner tie rod. This part needs to be removed from the rack.

To do this, peel back the rack boots. Then, fit a wrench to the flat points on the ball cup component, and unscrew the unit from the rack.

-Jon
Old 04-27-2004, 03:58 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

So to change the inner tie rod end, i need the entire rod assembly???
Old 04-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the ends, yes. The ends are screwed onto the rod, there's only 2 distinct pieces in the assembly (if you don't count the ball and socket as separate pieces).
-Jon
Old 04-27-2004, 04:17 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Well that sux, i guess i'll be buying an entire new tie rod.... 86 is different then the later years as well....
Old 04-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HoBoJoe, I just got through doing a complete steering rack overhaul on my 83 and the big thing about the tie rod assemblies is having thin enough wrenches to tighten them onto the steering rack shaft.

I believe the assembly lugs are 1" or 32mm, and the locking nuts are like 27mm, but can confirm this later when I have my tool box handy.

For me, the hardest part was finding a thin enough 32mm wrench, since the standard Craftsmans were too thick to fit in the slots on the lugs. I was able to find a Mexican wrench that fit perfectly. Must be because of all the VWs they have there!

At any rate, fellow lister Michael Manning was successful using a 32mm bicycle wrench from Park Tools. I recently bought one on eBay for very little money but received it after I had completed the job with the other wrench, so I don't know how well they work, but I assume it would be the same.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:28 PM
flyguy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, it sounds a lot worse than it is. I did this not too long ago with parts from Jason (Paragon) and the only part I had trouble with was reinstalling the rack boots. other than that it's a simple and inexpensive job that makes a HUGE difference in the steering... cause you can finally get it aligned right.

some hints though:
put a piece of tape at the end of the tie rod where the tie rod and TR End connect. then when you unscrew the tie rod end, you can get it back on the the 'exact' same position.

when youre ready to put the new ones in, put the pieces on the table, line them up and adjust the ends so that they are equal. again, put the tape on, install the inner TR and then you have a good idea of where to put the TRE to drive in for the alignment.

if you have questions, PM me.. I'll be happy to help

-Ian
Old 04-28-2004, 01:03 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips, just happens my Paragon TR is sitting on the bench ready to go.

Quick Reply: Help: Inner Tie Rod