Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vacuum lines under intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum lines under intake manifold

So I got my turbo isues squared away and fixed. But as I was putting the intake manifold back on, i snapped what was a britle vacumm line under the intake manifold. The cars idles, be it quite badly, it runs ok, but once boost comes on, it just blows out of the hole, which was an interesting sound, followed by the diverter valve sound, followed by the car dying. (yes, I drove it out of pure curiousity of what would happen ) anyway, the hose looks like its a half inch or so? I really can't tell for sure, but whats a good place to get a replacement, and where do i find out what part it is? Skip, can you (paragon) Help me out? I want to drive my car!
~Eyal
P.S. I took my brother's impreza 2.5 RS to Buttonwillow this weekend. I now have a new addiction. MUST HAVE MORE TRACK TIME!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:45 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picture might help

lindsey sells vacuum kits pretty cheap and you can buy just generic hose in various sizes from any parts store
Old 04-19-2004, 09:49 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

You can simplify the hoses under the mainfold. the ISV one goes to mainfold port, on other side of ISV goes to J pipe the last hose is for the brake-booster, get a new hose and run it to other port off mainfold.

Brake booster hose is 1/2 inch

Hose for other side of ISV is 3/4 inch.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:03 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Or just chuck it all in the rubbish. One from the manifold to the brake booster and cap the other manifold port, rest in bin.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by pk951
You can simplify the hoses under the mainfold. the ISV one goes to mainfold port, on other side of ISV goes to J pipe the last hose is for the brake-booster, get a new hose and run it to other port off mainfold.

Brake booster hose is 1/2 inch

Hose for other side of ISV is 3/4 inch.

ISV is 1/2" as well in the updated system. The line from the oil air seperator to the J boot is 3/4"

If you have all that venturi crap under the intake, now is the time to get rid of it all. Call dave at lindsey or contact Myswiss
Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Contact MySwiss, he sells a kit to ditch the venturi tubes
Old 04-20-2004, 01:57 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Originally posted by Mike951
Contact MySwiss, he sells a kit to ditch the venturi tubes
So why is all this stuff in there anyway if its not needed? What are the Venturi tubes for?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Yeah...my swiss's kit was super cheap and eliminates all that junk under there.

This whole thing has been discussed to death, but the venturi tube was used to create vacuum for the brakes which porsche originally felt was necessary and then created an update to remove.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:25 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I can't supply a photo right now, as the car is all back together. I opened the hood today and noticed the intercooler pipe had come apart from the intercooler hose off the turbo, which is really weird, but since my brother tightened it down, I'll pass it off as an error on his part and hope it doesnt slide off again. I went around the block a few times again today and when I got into boost (more of harder boost) it made a sound that shouldn't be there. it stumbled in 2nd and third gear at WOT at about 5000 to 5500 or so. If i reved up into the boost range, and let off (in neutral, not in gear) it made a whistle, quite loud. was kinda weird. Tell me more about ditching this venturi crap? will i feel a difference in anything? can someone give me contact info for myswiss?
~Eyal
Old 04-20-2004, 06:45 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know if you get a hold of im or the part number for the intake manifold to brake booster hose. I messaged myswiss over a week ago and no reply.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:51 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure that your J boot is tightened down good and has no tears. Also just go back and recheck all your intake ports to make sure they are tightened down good, and check any other lines. Easy way to find the vacuum leak is to take a can of carb cleaner, and squirt a little around each connection, and look for increase in idle. I battled a huge vacuum leak last time i did all this, with a huge metallic sounding ping, and it turned out that i had left the rear 4 intake runner bolts loose and it was creating a huge leak, and woooshing sound under boost...lol....felt stupid on that one.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand two things: why you're still driving it with a broken vacuum hose, and why you didn't stop installing the intake manifold when you broke the piece to get a replacement. Any autoparts store would have it.

Am I missing something here?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
stewardx
Instructor

Lindseys vacuum line kit also comes with diagram telling you where it all goes
Old 04-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Karl, i know where the leak is.

Peckster, I tryed a "ghetto" type fix so that it might work for the weekend since I was about a couple hours from leaving to the track. I wanted my car there. Obviously it didn't work, as I suspected it wouldnt. It takes less then 20 minutes to get back to where I need to be to fix it, so I wasn't worried about extra work. I only drove the car around the block, to test how its driving, and to get the car moving around a bit. An auto parts store wouldnt have what I needed, it has a specific 180 degree bend in it, and even if they did, not at 5:00 am....
Contact info for myswiss anyone? I searched google for a website, and they arent rennlist sponsors, soo....
~Eyal
Old 04-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Like everybody in SoCal, when in doubt go silicon. Go to www.hosetechniques.com they should have most stock sizes/diamters. As a plus you can order online and trek down to Torrence to pick it up at there warehouse.

I got 10 ft of hose to redo the vacuum plumbing on my turbo Volvo for 30 bucks.

Quick Reply: Vacuum lines under intake manifold