Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AFM/MAF conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 07:43 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AFM/MAF conversion question

Hey all, question regarding 951 MAF conversions. I know the usual rule of thumb is that if you want to get rid of the AFM for a MAF setup, you buy a whole kit for it (chips, hardware, etc). But with the number of options dwindling I wanted to know if its possible to mix and match components.

More specifically, I currently have the Lindsey Racing/Rogue A-Tune chip and MAP sensor installed in my car, and I just acquired the Vitesse Racing MAF components in the picture below. This upgrade was one of those "it'd be nice to do someday" things that I wasn't planning on doing for a while, but sometimes opportunities land in your lap unexpectedly. So, does the A-Tune chip have the smarts to be able to adapt to and utilize this sensor setup? Am I missing important pieces? Am I a noob for buying first and asking questions later (entirely possible)? Appreciate the insights in advance.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:28 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevadarain72
Hey all, question regarding 951 MAF conversions. I know the usual rule of thumb is that if you want to get rid of the AFM for a MAF setup, you buy a whole kit for it (chips, hardware, etc). But with the number of options dwindling I wanted to know if its possible to mix and match components.

More specifically, I currently have the Lindsey Racing/Rogue A-Tune chip and MAP sensor installed in my car, and I just acquired the Vitesse Racing MAF components in the picture below. This upgrade was one of those "it'd be nice to do someday" things that I wasn't planning on doing for a while, but sometimes opportunities land in your lap unexpectedly. So, does the A-Tune chip have the smarts to be able to adapt to and utilize this sensor setup? Am I missing important pieces? Am I a noob for buying first and asking questions later (entirely possible)? Appreciate the insights in advance.

You need to proper DME chip to understand this particular MAF. Each MAF has a unique calibration, the DME chip/software must match. You cannot mix and match.

​​​​​​IN the old days, some used a signal massagers to match the MAF signal to what the DME expects.

From the picture above, you have a very old system that has been modified, also it's missing components.
You will be better off starting fresh where you get the latest software/hardware and support.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:39 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
You need to proper DME chip to understand this particular MAF. Each MAF has a unique calibration, the DME chip/software must match. You cannot mix and match.

​​​​​​IN the old days, some used a signal massagers to match the MAF signal to what the DME expects.

From the picture above, you have a very old system that has been modified, also it's missing components.
You will be better off starting fresh where you get the latest software/hardware and support.
John, thanks for your input and insight; I'm new to the 951 scene but I already know you're a longtime supporter of the community, so I appreciate your efforts.

Sounds like the answers to my questions are 1) no it's not, 2) yes it's missing stuff, and 3) yes, I'm a noob. Oh well, it was a nice idea while it lasted. I'll see if there's someone out there that needs these parts, or else I'll just recycle them.

Quick Reply: AFM/MAF conversion question