Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Venting: I HATE MD INSPECTION!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:33 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 951 from a dude in maryland, when I had it shipped here, he took all the tags off of it. Fortunately in texas, the shop I took my car to inspected it without insurance, I had a cracked taillight, cracked headlight. I didn't know that states actually do emissions tests, till I came to college. I thought emissions test is to look and see if there is a cat.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys need to move to small town NC. My inpection consists of the inspector asking me for my resgistration and handing me a razor to scrape off my old sticker. Occasionaly he will ask me if everything is straight and ofcourse i smile and nod.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:47 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

HoBoJoe,

Sorry, I must have been thinking of filing for an extension after having failed the emissions inspection, which you likely haven't done yet.

Guess you'll have to park it until everything is fixed then have it towed (or drive very early in the morning) to have it re-checked.

You could always do what I just did for an old tow vehicle I just bought. I put my father (who lives in another state) on the title as well and have the truck registered in Indiana. Now, I have no doubt it would pass the MD safety and emissions inspections, it isn't worth the hassle and costs. Plus, registration renewal in IN is somewhat cheaper than MD.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:53 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

v944god: There use to be places that would pass for a little extra cash... well not anymore... There is a shop that is closer to my house then all the others that use to tell you what was wrong and then tell you to get it fixed, and give you a pass slip... When I went to them the mechanic said, "I'm having a little trouble with my inspection liscense, so we currently aren't doing them" Man that sux... Everyone i talk to that was from this area says to go there... well someone caught onto them...

Now of course i get up today and look outside... Very nice sunny day... BUT my 951 has to stay in the garage.... Looks like i'll be rolling Talon style for a few days... Which use to be ok, until i got the porsche and felt what a nice German car was like... Now when i get in my talon, which i use to think was an amazing car, the car feels sloppy and slow.... I don't know what i'm going to do in the winter when i have to drive a Dodge omni around!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:31 PM
z3bra
Racer

Man I forget how easy Arizona is when it comes to vehicle inspections. Other than an initial one if you bring a vehicle in from out of state to license it the only thing that ever gets inspected is emissions. No stupid turn signals, windshield cracks or any of that crap. Then again since we don't have the rust problems that's probably a big part of it. Sometimes I wish we did, it would get all the illegal aliens driving Ford Tempos with 12 different colored replacement fenders and doors off the road. (As in your guess is as good as mine what color the car was originally because every body part on it is a replacement from a self service junkyard). Not so much the appearance that bothers me with those as it is the fact that they're driving around uninsured and tend to be involved in accidents a bit more often. There's some crazy stuff here well and beyond just being a POS.

Ah well it's a tradeoff I guess.

And don't feel bad about the Talon, even my wife's '03 Passat feels sorta sloppy and slow since I'm used to the 951 now. I'm gonna really hate it if I have to drive my Geo Tracker any distance now too but hey the thing's virtually indestructable at least.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:54 PM
lutz
Instructor

WOW....you dont want to move to PA then. MD dont require state inspection every year do they? PA does
Old 04-15-2004, 02:10 PM
jerome951
Drifting

No, MD's safety inspection is only when you register the car for the first time under your name. Emissions inspection is every 2 years.

If they did the saftey inspection annually I couldn't afford to own most of my cars. Buying a car already registered in MD is a bonus as the seller is supposed to have the safety inspection done (and pay for any repairs) before selling it.

My Porsche failed for the first time for a cracked foglight lens (not falling out or pieces missing, mind you) among other things. Oh yeah, the brake pad warning light was on because I had removed the pad wear sensors. The inspector didn't care that I didn't have the wear sensors in, just couldn't have any warning lights on the dash. He even said he didn't care if I pulled the bulb...
Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

That is one plus to MD is that it's only one time inspection... How extensive is PA? I have heard PA will nail you for aftermarket mufflers, or was that new jersey? The thing that pisses me off is like a day after i attempted to get my turbo omni inspected, whish is actually a really straight car for being an 86, having like 4 owners, and having the entire engine harness melt.... Well the day after i saw a truck driving around, where the bed looked almost two pieces due to the amount of rusty holes all over it... Now my car won't pass because i have a broken headlight adjuster(which seemed to work to me) and from what the shop said, "worn strut tops".... What the hell??? Oh well, take lemons and make lemonade, right??? At least my car will have a working turn signal canceler! HAHA!
Old 04-15-2004, 03:00 PM
z3bra
Racer

Jeez a foglight lens? That's rough. Headlight I could understand but since foglights are an optional item I think I would have contested that one. Is it a case where they say any lens on any installed light has to be intact or something to that effect? Still pretty stupid but it at least makes a little more sense and was probably lawmakers just being lazy and eliminating any possible loopholes.

Even here in AZ the initial inspections are pretty weak, I passed with my 240Z when I registered it here and I'm sure it would have failed somewhere with the inspections like you guys are talking about. They're also done at the state DMV so you know how much those guys are into their job. Good enough for government work as the old saying goes. Wish the emissions folks were more lax but that's pretty cut and dried numbers without room for interpretation by the inspector.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"I left Md 10 years ago and every time I think about moving back, I consider all the hassles one goes through to live there and the south looks better and better"

Yep, left that SH** hole in 93 and moved to FL and havn't looked back. I rememebr inspections being bad, but not that bad. Must be getting worse there.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
jerome951
Drifting

MD's rule is 'no cracked glass'. Cracked plastic taillight lens was OK. Wish the fog lens was plastic.

They also busted me for worn windshield wiper blades because

The MD inspection is pretty thorough. An 'MD certified inspector' mechanic puts the car on a lift and goes over it for about 2 hours. They have general and model specific checklists for each car that are followed (e.g. minimum rotor thickness and brake pad thickness, etc.). He even pulled off the rear rotor to check emergency brake shoe thickness because it was on the checklist. When he put the wheels back on he was using a torque wrench. When I asked him what he torqued them to and why he used a wrench and not am impact gun, he said '95 ft. lbs, because the instructions say to torque by hand to 95 ft. lbs'. He did seem to enjoy the required test drive...
Old 04-15-2004, 06:21 PM
lutz
Instructor

PA now has emissions along with state inspections every year. So now i will be paying around $50 every year for inspection and emissions test. Now that is for just the gas cap check for emissions, they charge more for newer cars that can be hooked up to OBD. Its just a money making deal. As for the lights....in PA they require any light that is mounted on the car to work.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Two tire sizes is what I remember,long time ago though. You could always count on paying for headlight adj. too.If po doesn't turn in or transfer tags after sale there was a hefty daily fine as well, and I've seen the police retrieve tags from sold vehicles(mine). Once at MVA they chewed me out for having registered too many cars in too short a period of time...said I was trying to scam them with tag transfers(went through lots of cars when I was younger). Down here though there is no inspection or emissions check(cool). For some reason though every time I try to title a car in Al. I have to junp through one hoop or another. On my 951 the po didn't sign his middle name on title so they wanted me to send title to have him resign, even though I bought it through a salvation army auction.Pia anywhere you go.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:18 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Well overall the worst part about this situation is that it HAS been raining a lot since I got the car... So the car has been in the garage more then on the road... which really sux, cuz we all know how fun new (to you) cars are to drive... So after having to drive the porsche in the rain to and from inspection, the weekend, when i have free time, is going to be sunny, warm, and just plain out kick ***... I'm going to go crazy... At least there will be nice weather for me to be IN the garage working on my car........
Old 04-16-2004, 01:38 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
All of that seems relatively reasonable. I hate the inspection process all together and view it as the states way of sucking money. A few notes:

1) In every state I know of they must make an inspector present from X time to X time, no appts. and you are "guaranteed" a reasonable wait time (yeah right).

2) I dont see a non-cancelling turn signal as a safety hazard and I bet you it is not in the book as a failure item (the inspector test can be taken by anyone without warrants, and the class is in the morning and the test in the afternoon, you would have to be a monkey to fail). Most inspectors dont really know the rules that well.

3) Did they do a brake check? If not how do they know the "rotors are shot?" Do the brakes pulsate under braking? If so that is a safety issue and you should have to repair it.

4) Both reverse lights need not work (at least not in any state code I have EVER read).

5) Did I mention that I REALLY hate this process all togther?
Matt,

Have you retitled your car(s) in Illinois yet?

How is the registration process over there? How are the inspections?

Quick Reply: Venting: I HATE MD INSPECTION!