Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thoughts on value of stock vs bespoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 10:39 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
I'm in a long term resto-mod of my '89 turbo. (The full interior is at Classic 9 awaiting it's turn for the full Alcantara treatment). I have quite a few other non-standard parts waiting their turn to be redone/installed as well. The car only has 33,000 miles on it, and would have been an excellent candidate for a full blown restoration or left as-is in time capsule form. But, it's my car, and I want it to be something very special. It drives my engineer (as designed by Porsche/bone stock is the only way to go) buddy crazy. The funny thing is, he's probably going to inherit the car when I kick the bucket as I have no descendants.
Good on you, and your P-car buddy. He/she will appreciate it. I have a nearly stock '86 951. Subtle performance mods (exhaust, short shift, FPR, man boost controller). Kids are 12yr old. Will likely want EV when they are driving age. Hopefully one of them will want my car. Will see!
The following users liked this post:
SeaCay (10-22-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:59 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonbam
has not been decided. I’ll prob keep it for while to see what the values of 944s do. It already has a new 3.0 liter closed deck engine going in. The cost between putting a new engine and re sealing the old one with new belt service/water pump was about a $5 difference and I felt that the value of the car would increase by more than $5k difference if I put the new engine in. Now I’m into the car for $20k total with a new engine. Once I’ve rebuilt the trans, new bushings, ac to r134, a few other fixes, full KW threaded shocks and new clutch I’ll be into the car for around $26k. That’s without touching the interior. Interior is a 5/10 now, all stock. Redoing the seats will be $1500 with the stock look with partial leather. Or spend $5-7k on completely redoing the interior with leather/houndstooth, door panels, headliner, dash, etc…. Is this car(now basically brand new) worth $40k? Was thinking something like this:
Even at $50k nowadays, you’d be hard pressed to find a new car with the build quality, excitement, uniqueness and performance of what you’re trying to build. Add to it the enjoyment of building something YOURSELF. I say go for it and it’s what I’m going to do as well.
The following users liked this post:
PF (10-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on value of stock vs bespoke