Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help me value my (now totaled) 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me value my (now totaled) 951

On my way home from the beach today I was rear-ended, HARD. A trailblazer slammed into me while I was stoped at a light, estimated speed was around 45mph. I have to credit porsche and my sparco seat for keeping me out of the hospital, the passenger compartment stayed amazingly intact considering that the hit was hard enough to knock my radio out of the dash. I have a couple bruises and my neck hurts but doing OK. So now comes the hard part, I know that it will be totaled, I just dont know how much I will get from insurance, I was hoping that if I threw out the details of the car then you guys could give me a good idea of its value.

86 turbo, graphite black
Exclnt cond. black interior
Sparco drivers seat
Ground control coilovers up front
30 mm torsion bar upgrade
boost controller
autothority chips
fuchs
Beautiful paint, really the car had very few flaws

Kelly blue book private party value on this car is only 3600$$ we all know that is complete bull. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:37 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh no, that sounds like a gorgeous car...and graphite was a RARE color and fuchs and all...

all the advice I can give you is fight the insurance company tooth and nail...
Old 04-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Unhappy

Sob
Old 04-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Glad you are ok. The national reference lists bear no relationship to reality for well-kept cars, it seems. Of course, your insurance "adjuster" will not be too interested to hear it. Don't go down without a fight. Sounds like a $7k to $10k car to me, depending on condition and location. I trust the other guy had insurance and is paying? If so, they may be willing to settle out at a realistic number to get your medical claim waiver. But, on that point, you may want to wait and/or see a doctor. Sometimes things don't start hurting right away -- seems remarkable you have no aches or pains if you were slammed hard enough to pop out the radio.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Nice looking car too. What a shame. Sorry man.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go see a reputable chiropractor, and get your neck looked at. The damage that can occur from a 5mph whiplash accident is pretty remarkable. Avoid the body and disc degeneration later in life. Sorry to hear about your car
Old 04-10-2004, 05:51 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

I, too, was hit at about 45 miles an hour from the side... I didn't have any problems other than body strain... I was forced to go to a physical therapist (parents) and I am greatful that I did... I had serious muscle strain and connecive tissue damage. No spine problems though.

I would imagine $8.5k would be in the ballpark. Beautiful car! Nice side skirts... Factory? Pretty rare...
Old 04-10-2004, 05:53 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh just to clarify, chiropractors deal with the WHOLE muskuloskeletal system, not just the spine. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2004, 09:45 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Nice avatar, Karl... I gotta get me one!

Regards,
Old 04-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do, don't let the ins guys us Kelly, or even the NADA. I recently had a minor bump on my 86 and it's nowhere near as nice as yours. Ins co was cool about it, used the CPI and valued my 180k mile car at $8.3k. If they use CPI on yours, it should get up to about $10k. Retain a good lawyer too. If you are using NCFB, there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear that the car has been totalled, but best thing is that you're alive and kicking to talk about it.

I would definitely agree with the $8-10K figure on the value. The mods aren't really worth anything, but a stock car with those miles could easily be in that value range in this area (I'm in TN). The NADA book value is about twice or so what you're seeing in Kelly. It's much more realistic, but I've seen it said that it still undervalues the market. Not many selling, so a few selling at a very low price and hurt it....although I think Kelly is watching the prices for totalled cars being bought back from insurance companies to come up with such a low figure. A recent Excellence magazine I'm told has some pretty good ranges in it and I'd see if you could find someone with a copy of it to help out. Also, you might consider contacting PCA for a valuation if need be and if you are a member.

Might be well worth buying the car back to part out if you have some time to tear it apart. That set of Fuchs alone could probably offset the cost of buying it back for parts.

Best of luck in the settlement!
Old 04-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

thanks to all for the replies... Dave could you clarify what CPI and NCFB are. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:36 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get yourself checked out, take the moron who did this to you for every single cent you can get out of him. Back damage is NOT something you want to fsck around with.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:41 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

edge is right, I've been in my fair share of accidents since I was a little tike... three of which involved back/neck injuries after being hit by someone at decent speeds. This combined with a family history of sh!tty backs (long torso doesn't help) has left me with some pain now and then. Don't take it lightly. Though it may seem slight, the effects of whiplash don't come into full play for a few weeks. Go see a chiropractor and get evaluated. This will not only help your health in the future (the help and exercises seem rote and stupid, but believe me, do them!) they will also make your case against this person 10X more viable and effective!

I have the issue of Excellence with the market values (3 year trends) of all the 924/944/968 series if you would like it. I would be more than happy to send it to you if you think this will help you get money from the insurance company. PM me if ya need it, Zu.

I'm not sure if I agree with going after the driver, as much as it is their fault.You never know their (financial/driving) situation. The insurance company though... well we all know how much they screw us over, and will try to screw you over as well. Get them and get them good!
Old 04-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Here is a pic
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help me value my (now totaled) 951