Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 944 turbo starter issues! Head scratcher.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 04:58 PM
DJtheDJ
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Resurrecting this old thread because my son's 86 NA is experiencing similar symptoms after he accidentally cranked the car while it was in gear and didn't push the clutch pedal. Starter hasn't worked since. The car will fire right up and drive if we get it rolling and dump the clutch. Turn the key and and the starter just makes like a click noise then nothing. Wondering if anyone has any idea on what I should check before buying a new starter. Any advice will be appreciated.
I was the author of this thread and glad you brought it back because I realize that I never posted my solution. After tearing my hair out and hours of troubleshooting, I finally discovered a poorly made wire going to the master cut off switch(race car) causing too much resistance and making all the issues. Re-did the end of the wire properly and it has been flawless.
Now for your problem, based on nothing more than starting it in gear, it seems like you may have had a weak starter that was finally over-stressed by not putting in the clutch. I would try to jump the starter only with a spare battery. You will find out from there if the starter has gone kaput!
Denis
The following users liked this post:
Carrera51 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 05:17 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 134 Posts

Thank you both for your replies! I will do both this weekend!
Old 07-12-2024, 09:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

I bought a new starter for $140 and it is easy to install.

Quick Reply: 86 944 turbo starter issues! Head scratcher.