Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil drain plug with tap for oil temp sender?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil drain plug with tap for oil temp sender?

I'm looking to install an oil temperature gauge and wondered if anyone knows of a source of a drain plug and thats been drilled and tapped to receive the temp sensor. Also my feeling is this is the most appropriate spot to measure oil temp since this is the oil that is being pumped ny the pump into the engine - any suggestions.

Thanks,

Skip
Old 04-07-2004, 11:19 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I took a new drain plug to an automotive machine place, they tapped it for a few bucks.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:07 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also tap the big banjo bolt, but that may not give the most accurate readings since the hot oil is comming down from the turbo.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Sam,

Has this arrangement worked out ok for you? What did you do to seal the sensor - teflon tape, etc?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Its not a perm. solution for me but so far so good. I used teflon tape.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:05 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

This isn't the ideal place to get an oil temp reading for. You want to read the temp of the oil that is flowing into the engine, which would be after the oil cooler. I will probably be tapping the oil cooler/filter housing if there is room. I can't be sure until I look at someone's car though.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:23 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its Ideal if you want to keep an eye on your turbo oil temps. I think Ideally you would want one for each.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BoostGuy951
Its Ideal if you want to keep an eye on your turbo oil temps. I think Ideally you would want one for each.
I have a sensor in the turbo oil drain banjo bolt now and thinking about either moving it or just adding a second sensor inline with the oil cooler return, I have -12 an lines with the Mocal so easy to add a sensor.

Can someone confirm for me the return line at the block, I think it is the side mount ?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally posted by adrial
This isn't the ideal place to get an oil temp reading for. You want to read the temp of the oil that is flowing into the engine, which would be after the oil cooler. I will probably be tapping the oil cooler/filter housing if there is room. I can't be sure until I look at someone's car though.
What is exactly is the flow path of the oil. Based on your recommendation I am guessing it is:

Pump - filter - cooler - internals/bearings

Is this correct. I liked the drain plug because its measuring the temp of the oil that is being pumped by the pump, but if it goes through the cooler before it is being pump to the bearings then I agree with your statement.

Let me know what you guys think.

I am really surprised that no vendor has come out with a canned solution, both in terms of oil temp sensing as well as cooling for the 951's considering how many of them cars are tracked. I was talked to a buddy who is a total guru when it comes to American V8's and he was saying Chevy V8 blocks have a plugged tap at each main bearing as well as several other places on the block that are great to insert a sensor in. I't doesn't sound like our blocks have something like this which is surprising.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

David,

I saw in doing some searches on this topic as well as oil cooling you had a stand-alone Mocal oil cooler without the stock cooler in place. Any experience with how this is working out on the track yet? I really would like to replace the stock cooler with a stand-alone cooler but am not sure what the best setup is yet.

Thanks,
Old 04-08-2004, 11:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Skip Wolfe
David,

I saw in doing some searches on this topic as well as oil cooling you had a stand-alone Mocal oil cooler without the stock cooler in place. Any experience with how this is working out on the track yet? I really would like to replace the stock cooler with a stand-alone cooler but am not sure what the best setup is yet.

Thanks,
No track time yet, around town temps stay at 200 F or less, sensor in turbo drain banjo bolt, which should be at the hottest location.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Thanks David. BTW what size cooler did you end up going with. Also what did you do with the coolant lines that went to the existing stock cooler?

Thanks,
Old 04-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

I put mine in the oil return fitting/bolt, from the turbo, at the oil pan. I had an extra one and it was the easiest to drill and tap. Did it myself and no leaks

It probably isn't the ideal spot but the readings will be consistent and I have a WB02.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:45 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Skip Wolfe
Thanks David. BTW what size cooler did you end up going with. Also what did you do with the coolant lines that went to the existing stock cooler?

Thanks,
It's the 25 row Mocal, don't remember the dimensions, bought from www.batinc.net

Stock hoses are out in the garage somewhere.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

if one needs it I can sell a bolt with a hole that fits perfect to the oil drain hole and fits the NPT oil temp sender from VDO

Konstantin

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug with tap for oil temp sender?