Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF or Exhaust first

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 11:27 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question MAF or Exhaust first

Okay, I am sure there are benifits to getting one or the other first, but I want to know anyones opinion on which I should get first. I am going to eventually have both the complete SFR cat-back, and test pipe. As well as their stage 4 MAF.

My question is, which should be done first? Depending on the cost of my bill when the car comes back from Steinel's Autowerks, I may be able to get one of these this summer. Obviously the exhaust system would be cheaper, but the intake would be an option as well, but definatly not both this summer.

My car is relatively stock, just Huntley chips, and a jetted banjo bolt, all installed by previous owner. Any input on this would be greatly apreciated. Although my guess is most will say exhaust will come first, but I am just not sure. But I believe I have hear, in order to get the MAF, I would also need to upgrade others things, including getting a rising rate ajustable fuel pressure regulater, and possible a new wastegate? I am new to the whole tuning thing, as I have only had my car a year. But when I get it back from Steinel's, should be ready to take mods, as everything mantinence wise should be up to date, and ready for upgrades.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:32 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I vote for the exhaust first but combine it with a dual port wastegate or shimmed spring in yours to hold the boost a little longer (adjust fuel accordingly).

You won't see much for gains now with the MAF unless you bought it as part of a package with chips designed to be used with it.
I think the MAF would need to be done at the same time as a test pipe anyway (not necessary, though).

Long story short: Exhaust with wastegate first.
Old 04-05-2004 | 11:53 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by streckfu's951
I vote for the exhaust first but combine it with a dual port wastegate or shimmed spring in yours to hold the boost a little longer (adjust fuel accordingly).

You won't see much for gains now with the MAF unless you bought it as part of a package with chips designed to be used with it.
I think the MAF would need to be done at the same time as a test pipe anyway (not necessary, though).

Long story short: Exhaust with wastegate first.
Okay, thanks for the info. What I meant by exhuast meant the WHOLE system, like, would I be better of buying both the cat-back, AND test pipe, OR the MAF? I think the answer will still be the same, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Getting the exhuast done first was the response that I had thought I would get, but I just wanted to make sure I was thinking about it right.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-06-2004 | 12:01 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

There's really no right or wrong if you are doing this as part of a bigger project. You would just see little gain from the MAF right now. If you bought the chips to go with the MAF, you'll probably see about 20hp.

I think you can get that with the exhaust and WG (fuel accordingly) and will see more gains when you add the MAF later.
Old 04-06-2004 | 12:39 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Hey Matthew951, I just had my motor mounts done there last week. I LOVE that place, to easy to just spend money on my car after talking with some of the other customers and workers there.
Old 04-06-2004 | 01:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Exhaust/Wastgate while the exhaust is off.
Old 04-06-2004 | 01:25 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Yea, definitely exhaust first; the whole exhaust from the turbo back. This will give you the greatest gains at the stage you are right now.
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:04 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

I agree, do the cat bypass first, wastegate upgrade via either overhaul or replacement, leave boost where it is, get a boost enhancer to get the stock boost level up sooner. Big increase in driveability and around town driving response. Stock mufffler is pretty free flowing as it is.

Then add chips for 14psi and you will have a solid 230 to 250 rwhp depending on engine condition and fine tuning. The next level requires incrementally more effort and money and almost always requires more boost which may or may not work with the locally available fuel.
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:20 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mike1982
Hey Matthew951, I just had my motor mounts done there last week. I LOVE that place, to easy to just spend money on my car after talking with some of the other customers and workers there.
Mike,

This is my first time taking the car to have any kind of work done. I am having them check over EVERYTHING, the clutch pedal was real stiff, and a few other problems needed to be sorted out. But when I get it back, it should be great. I have only heard good things about Steinel's, so thats why I decided to take the 3 hour drive to drop it off. The shop is great, very clean and organized. The Mechanic that drove my car, and I talked to about what might need to be done was extreamly knoledgable. I am happy so far, and I am sure I will be happy with the results.

And I know what you mean about having them get you to spend money on upgrades after. The mechanic I talked to was talking me into taking my car to the track. Just dont know if I can afford the upkeep with brakes alone that goes along with track driving, but maybe someday!

Matt
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:25 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by dand86951
I agree, do the cat bypass first, wastegate upgrade via either overhaul or replacement, leave boost where it is, get a boost enhancer to get the stock boost level up sooner. Big increase in driveability and around town driving response. Stock mufffler is pretty free flowing as it is.

Then add chips for 14psi and you will have a solid 230 to 250 rwhp depending on engine condition and fine tuning. The next level requires incrementally more effort and money and almost always requires more boost which may or may not work with the locally available fuel.
I think that is what I will do, as long as I have some extra money when I get the car back from the shop, I will get the exhuast. (cat-back, and testpipe) What is a good set of chips, mapped for 14 psi? I have huntley chips, but I am not sure what they are mapped for, since the previous owner had them installed. Most everyone on here has been talking about Guru chips. I really havent thought about getting new chips, as I already have upgraded chips. I really didnt think there was a big difference between chips. How much do Guru chips run? I cant see spending a ton on chips, when I already have the upgraded ones, but I guess it cant hurt.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Matt

Old 04-06-2004 | 02:31 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

streckfu,

I was wondering, on your car, you have the vented nose panel for the intercooler, and then you also have another vent, near the drivers side headlight. Is that routed to blow right on your MAF? For a cold air intake? I know this isnt the topic of my port, but I saw that, and was just wondering about it. Looks nice.

Matt

Old 04-06-2004 | 02:48 PM
User 41221
Banned

I do think you'll see a pretty good jump switching from Huntley chips to Guru chips. I'm with everyone else that is saying do the exhaust first, too.

Regards,
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:52 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

You can go to gururacing.net. My advice would be to buy his chip set, that way you know what you have and what it is set up for. I can say that when I went out with the mech. to test drive after words, even he said that it has a good, strong, smooth powerful pull. I know that after I put it in (from stock chips) it was MUCH better just over all, off the line, just cruising and when you punch it HOLD ON, you can tell a huge difference. Of course you really get use to that extra power as I have and want more power after words.
Old 04-06-2004 | 03:22 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matthew951
streckfu,

I was wondering, on your car, you have the vented nose panel for the intercooler, and then you also have another vent, near the drivers side headlight. Is that routed to blow right on your MAF? For a cold air intake? I know this isnt the topic of my port, but I saw that, and was just wondering about it. Looks nice.

Matt

The side vent you mentioned actually serves a couple of purposes. First it does allow the MAF to draw cooler air (I wouldn't call it a cold air intake as it just reduces the amount of hot air drawn) and then pushes cooler air under the hood to vent hot air in the engine bay.
I don't have any quantifiable numbers to back up these claims but I am certain it makes a difference.

Since the pictures were taken, I have reinstalled the the duct that routes air to the intercooler after cutting matching vents for the header panel.

Everything seems to work well.

Also, go with the Guru chipset. You'll know what you are getting and will be dealing with someone still in buisiness who can help set up your car.

Quick Reply: MAF or Exhaust first