Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HPDE brake pads??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:43 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default HPDE brake pads??

Had my first DE day in March with the ‘86. Yes, we all like pictures, so here’s one to share:

what a blast! Learned several things too! Among them, not all brake fluid is created equal. Also, tires and brakes are my next weak link after the driver.

What do you recommend for brake pads for the weekend driver that sees 2-3 HPDE days a year?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:15 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on getting your car on track and starting down the slipper slope!!!

I will give you my $0.02 regarding pads...
I view brake pads as a safety item, both on the track and the street. Track pads suck on the street and (as you've found) most street pads aren't up to hard track driving. I lit a set of street pads on fire at Mid-Ohio many moons ago. Interesting getting black flagged and having the grid worker the flaggers were reporting flames coming off my brakes... Have also had friends glaze street pads and really reduce braking effectiveness.

Considering how easy it is to swap pads on our cars, I'd recommend putting in a set of track pads before your events. Yes, they're expensive, but you'll get a few years out of a set with the number of track days you're doing.
I'm partial to PFC pads. Have tried Hawk in the past and much preferred the PFCs. I get about 6-8 days from a front set and ~12 from the rears, and I drive hard.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:37 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Congrats on getting your car on track and starting down the slipper slope!!!

I will give you my $0.02 regarding pads...
I view brake pads as a safety item, both on the track and the street. Track pads suck on the street and (as you've found) most street pads aren't up to hard track driving. I lit a set of street pads on fire at Mid-Ohio many moons ago. Interesting getting black flagged and having the grid worker the flaggers were reporting flames coming off my brakes... Have also had friends glaze street pads and really reduce braking effectiveness.

Considering how easy it is to swap pads on our cars, I'd recommend putting in a set of track pads before your events. Yes, they're expensive, but you'll get a few years out of a set with the number of track days you're doing.
I'm partial to PFC pads. Have tried Hawk in the past and much preferred the PFCs. I get about 6-8 days from a front set and ~12 from the rears, and I drive hard.
+1... right tool for the right job.. just don’t be lazy and leave them in on the street.. dogs will howl when you stop.. and it will be easier on your wallet..
Old 04-16-2021, 02:33 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Lets say your on a budget and you still want to try something a little bit more track oriented. You could try these. It's what I'm going to try once I need new pads and rotors. I think these pads are for the M030 caliper cars tho.

StopTech 309-series Sport brake pads - front (D609)

StopTech Sport 309-series brake pads - rear (D345/D608)

Mike G.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:00 PM
David Levine
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I saw you - that looks like it was CMP - I was in a 911T. Fun weekend!
Old 04-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by David Levine
I think I saw you - that looks like it was CMP - I was in a 911T. Fun weekend!
it was CMP! Absolutely a great weekend. Can’t wait till the next one!

Quick Reply: HPDE brake pads??