Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

stripped a bolt inside cam housing. sweet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:07 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, now everytime one of us goes to pull the tower we'll be thinking of your war! And I thought 8 out of 9 stripped pressure plate bolts was tough. Congrats
Old 04-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh - how about the easy way....

Get a tube or two of JB Weld. Insert mixed JB weld into 10mm socket, and slide over allen head bolt/wrench.

Drink 2-3 beers.

Remove bolt, allen head, etc....

Just be sure not to weld the socket to the CAM tower. I'd apply some oil to the end of the socket with the JB weld before placing it over the broken wrench....

And yes - it's worked for me.

HTH!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
pkjense
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same battle. PITA! I could not drill the broken allen ball head out (wont use those again). After trying every suggestion I could find with no luck, I got a diamond dust core bit from Home Depot just about the same ID as the broken key. I had to jbweld it into an extension for my drill as it has an 1/8" shaft which was smaller than any extension I could find. Worked like a charm, as it went around the bit not through it. The ball ended up inside the core bit, and the bit had only to cut the much softer bolt. as I got almost through the bolt I backed off the other bolts and POP! the bolt head came off and I lifted the tower off. easy to then twist the bolt out as it stands about 1/2" above the head.
A couple of things: the core bit self centered around the allen ball and drilled in very cleanly. Bonus! Also I used grease on the bit and cleaned it often. This really contained the filings, and I sucked them up with a tube attached to the shop vac. I will however clean the tower well before assembly.
The diamond bit produced small filings which stuck in the grease. I have seen worse on an oil plug magnet. A drill on the other hand produces shavings whcih if missed before assembly will block passages...

Quick Reply: stripped a bolt inside cam housing. sweet!