Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

6 puck clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 03:10 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 puck clutch?

There's a kid I know of with one in his civic and it seems to act like an on/off switch. Now, he is a ricer, so he could just be a bad driver, but are they that hard to drive? I dont know what kind of pressure plate hes running, but that could be part of it. Also have many people used a sachs clutch? Any more noise than any other spring hub disks?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:16 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ya, I have an 6 puck clutch, with light flywheel, and it has a very harsh engagement. You can tell the difference right off the start. I have alot of people drive the car just so they can see what I have to deal with.

It makes me seem like a ****ty driver, but I don't know, either its the clutch, or else its because I lose complete focus when I'm at a light.

But, it's a pretty hard ride, clutch catches at top with no room to make mistakes. The clutch I have is meant to be drag raced, but I drive my car daily and still can't get the hang of it!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:19 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

So does the 4 puck have a less harsh engagement?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:29 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 6 puck clutch?

Originally posted by Mikeaagesen
There's a kid I know of with one in his civic and it seems to act like an on/off switch. Now, he is a ricer, so he could just be a bad driver, but are they that hard to drive? I dont know what kind of pressure plate hes running, but that could be part of it. Also have many people used a sachs clutch? Any more noise than any other spring hub disks?
I will be installing the Stg 3 Spec 6-puck this weekend. Can't comment yet. However, I have tried the HKS Tri-plate setup in my street WRX for quite a few years. I assume the 6-puck should have about the same 'feel'. Engagement is rough, sort of "on-off" especially in the lower gears. To achieve smooth drive/engagement, you double-clutch/rev-match when up-shifting.

The HKS is noisy and attract lots of attention.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:43 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

So is it more the disk or the pressure plate that determines the clamping or grabbing force? I really dont know much about clutches I guess?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:51 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mikeaagesen
So does the 4 puck have a less harsh engagement?
I wish I knew, but it would seem like it.

Are you planning on moving to these types of clutches?

These things last a lifetime from what I've heard. They take constant beatings, but your losing out on that nice smooth feeling between shifts and off the line.

I've been driving with these clutch for about 2-3wks and I'm still not use to it. I have no idea why, but I can't seem to get the hang of it.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I've also been thinking about the differences between the 4 and 6 puck. When my clutch goes I'm planning on installaing a Spec Stage 3 clutch but I don't know how many pucks to choose.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:55 AM
atinybug
Racer

i have a 6 puck spring loaded going in my car after my engine gets put together, but never driven on it yet, so i dont know how harsh it would be. i've driven my friend's rx7 with a non-spring loaded 6 puck with a REALLY heavy duty pressure plate, and that thing is incredibly hard to drive, but he assures me since i'm still using the stock pressure plate and my clutch is spring loaded, it'll be much easier
Old 03-26-2004, 06:49 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I would get a cup clutch for our cars.

Those four puck or six puck dis are uasuly for drag racing. They would be hard to drive in traffic, stop and go.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't plan on any pucked clutch being a smooth street drive, the 4 will likely be worse for chatter than the 6.

Sam
Old 03-26-2004, 02:47 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by pk951
I would get a cup clutch for our cars.

Those four puck or six puck dis are uasuly for drag racing. They would be hard to drive in traffic, stop and go.
Exactly. Total headache.

Either I let the clutch out too quick, or too slow. Way to sensitive for me.

From what I was told these clutches were made to be abused.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And (general statement) the materials commonly used on a pucked clutch are usually different than a street disc clutch, and usually do not deal well with slipping, such as in street driving when trying to gradually engage a clutch. Using one on the street with gradual engagement will only destroy it quickly. They're designed for on/off engagement, racing only, where you never need to stop and start the car and certainly never gradually engage the clutch from stop.

Sam
Old 03-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

So is there a non pucked clutchthat can take a beating like the puckedones can? How does the cup clutch hold up?
Old 03-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the 6 puck SPEC Stage 3 Lightweight today. I went for 6 over 4 because I in the bit about the Stage IV it says that the 6 and 3 puck versions handle the same torque but the 3 puck lets you shift quicker. I take that to mean it engages more quickly. Also 6 pucks is much closer to a complete disc than 4 and complete discs are smoother.

Lindsey's site says the stage III has a "more aggressive" engagement but is still streetable. It has springs still.

I also spoke to the guy machining my crank and flywheel about it and he says his race car's puck clutch is OK on the road. I don't know what it is, but it's not a Porsche, though.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:39 PM
InterSpool
Advanced

Why would you need such a tough clutch?? A friend of mine had a Stage 3 6 puck clutch in his Integra and it was the worst thing I have ever driven. These clutches are made for drag racing, and unless your 944/951 is pushing 600hp+ I really don't think you would EVER need one. His B16A1 monster pushing a mindblowing 110rwtq surely didn't.

Quick Reply: 6 puck clutch?