944T race car just painted

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:25 AM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944T race car just painted

Hi everyone,

this is where we are at with our Touring/GT Gt class Porsche. It was painted Porsche Body in white white by Frank at Centre Hill Auto Body.
I have taken some pictures to show our cage design and the like. The firewall is reinforced to support removable bracing to the towers. The door bars are a compromise between safety and torsional rigidity, The x shaped door bars ultimately provide the best stiffness however without a foam crash barrier are limited in their side impact protection abilities. This is why we opted for the Nascar style double door bars on the driver side. The slant is to facilitate entry and exit as the high rake of the A pillars makes getting in the car quite tight.
Ideally all bracing would tie to one junction, however in certain locations it was just not feasible. The cross tube going over the drivers knees is as low as possible to support side loads from a Tbone collision yet high enough to give the drivers legs enough room to move. Unfortunately this did not correspond with the height of the door bars or the forward protruding strut tower bars which are difficult to see as they are hidden in the chassis.
The rear suspension has been completely reinforced by the cage and extra plating installed from the underside. The main hoop and the forward most rear support tubes go directly to suspension pick up points. This is especially critical on a torsion bar car that is being converted to coil springs. Originally the chassis was not designed to take the load of a 450 pound rear spring and would result in the floor deforming more than the spring. However with the additional reinforcment we have installed the torsional rigidity of the chassis should more than support the loads generated by the Leda coil overs.
This chassis was not dipped, however all sound deadening both inside and out was removed first by hand scraper, and then by commercial sand blasting and soda blasting. This was probably the most physically intensive method, and still very expensive, soda and sand blasting ended up costing 3200 dollars Canadian. The next project will probably be dipped however without the ability of a local dip primer it is nice to know that our car will not be wrotting from the inside out.

I will be performing an ansys simulation showing the increase in stiffness generated by our cage design, and any possible improvements that could be made for my 4th year thesis (next year), i will post up how the results look when i get there.

we have been working hard designing and manufacturing all the custom suspension components while the chassis has been being painted, we are now ready to start assembly.
let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Andrew Wojteczko

Old 03-26-2004, 01:38 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

HOLY $H!T!that looks sexy.......hmmmmmmmmm....very clean!3200 can. how much is that in usd?ive been thinking about doing that sometime this year.i want to shave all the crud underneith off.looks great,bet you can wait to put it back together.keep up the great work and keep us updated.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:07 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!
Old 03-26-2004, 02:41 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:57 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweeeeeeet!
Old 03-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

the soda and sand blasting did not remove the under coating, we hand scraped everything first, and then used the soda blasting to clean everything up. We spent over two weeks just scraping, it gets annoying pretty fast. The nice thing about the soda blasting is that the galvonizing from the factory stays on the panels.

Andrew Wojteczko
Old 03-27-2004, 01:12 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOUR CAR LOOKS GREAT. IS THAT FACTORY ALPINE WHITE COLOR PAINT?
Old 03-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew, that looks great!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:30 AM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

The paint shop said this is the Porsche body in white white, I forget the exact paint code but I am confident it isn't alpine white. Thanks for all the compliments, I can check and post up the code.

Andrew Wojteczko
Old 03-28-2004, 08:59 AM
nine51
Instructor

i just love race cars
Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Post more pictures as you go would be appreciaced LOOKS GOOD!

Quick Reply: 944T race car just painted