Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starter problems (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 05:10 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. So I added some water to the other cells as well. Let it sit for a few hours again I did the acidic test (is that what you call it in english?). Now all the cells are consistent but the tester says "recharge"!. So I put a charger on the battery and it peaks (12V). Could this be the battery after all? The battery (original Porsche item) is less than 2 years old, but the car has only been driven for ~1000 miles since then (PO is 68 years old).

How much water do i add to each cell? Should it be topped off? Each cell has a "cork" that screws about 1" into the battery. Should the water in the cells be as high as these "corks".

Eivind
Old 03-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by schnellfahrer
Where do I find something on the car that is ground? The head is alu, right?

Eivind
Aluminum's a conductor, the whole engine case is aluminum.

The batery plates must be covered, but leave room for expansion. Adding water will reduce the charge. I doubt your battery is the problem, but you might want to have it tested at a shop. What you're doing doesn't tell you much.

Sounds like a ground problem or loose connection to me.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:43 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily, I had the same trouble when I tried to start this afternoon. I had a friend of my test with a multimeter while I cranked. He says there is no appareant problem with grounding. I tried to start 4 or 5 times and the car finally started. I guess this means that the solenoid is bad (??).

Quick Reply: Starter problems (I think)