Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

off topic: carrera gt in dfw

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:17 AM
killer miller
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up off topic: carrera gt in dfw

for all you guys in dfw, there is a carrera gt at park place on display. I've been over there a few times to check it out and it is remarkable. It's definately worth your time to go check it out
Old 03-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine is the sales manager, he called me with the engine revving in it today. Sounded, um, nice.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I was reading a car mag the other day and they were talking about it. Apparently they've sold something like 1200 of those puppies now with a lot of them coming to the states. They said that its actually outsold the GT2 and they are gathering more orders. Let's see 1200 copies at 450k each....yeah, I see no reason for Porsche to charge me $5 for a bolt anymore.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

it outsold the GT-2, cause they only made a small amount of em... with the Carrera GT, Porsche is furthering its new profit crazed philosophy with striping the car of its exlcusivity. Porsche used to race, and road cars were built so that they could keep racing, then that technology they developed at the track made its way down into the road cars, this was Porsche's philosophy up until right around the 993, where managment changed over. Now, "they had to concentrate on the Cayenne, so we can't race." Porsche, without factory racing, is nothing of what they used to be, and they're only getting worse. Porsche greatness has peaked and passed my friends, we hold quality cars, but from the 996 on, its all about the $$$.
~Eyal
Old 03-23-2004, 01:01 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Do you really beleive that any of the 996 variants, Turbo, GT2 or GT3 etc are not quality cars, even if they are all about the money?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:34 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel something along the same lines as eyal. But, even though I think the focus of Porsche has somewhat changed a little. I think they still build quality car's. I still think their racing is comendable. I still think they include their racing heritage in their car's to this very day. I can't totally deny that I have been a little discomforted by the hole suv thing. I mean wtf. Suv's make money. That's why Porsche made one. It has nothing to do with race history or braking new ground for their race teams or production line. It was about one thing making money. They are smart. I would still rather them do this and stick around making great car's then to have them go bankrupt. Porsche doesn't make any money on the turbo. I mean they need a car to help with funds.....for the racing, for the new production line, for r&d ect.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:06 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now it's good for their investors to make money. They have been several times now the most profitable automaker around.

Problem for a company is when you let a lot of people get involved in the direction it will go, especially bean counters and people hungry to make a $. Racing is expensive, but at times the money spent on it can be well worth it to get attention on the marque to push up sales. The Carrera GT should have a race version. They should run it somewhere. The Cayenne should be offered for some of this offroad racing as well. Right now privateer teams are what Porsche uses for its advertising in racing, not a factory effort. If and when they feel that they need more attention from racing, you can be sure that they will feel that their advertising needs it and they will go back with a factory effort. Right now with sales up and profits rolling in, it's easy to dismiss the high costs of running a factory race team for no reason but to please current owners.

Porsche racing seems to be mainly centered toward GT style racing rather than as much open wheel. Since they have cars already that can compete, it would make the most since for them to race there. Ferrari on the other hand races because on their stage it brings them huge attention in F1. Porsche would have to invest probably half a billion dollars to get started on that track, something they aren't going to do right now.

I agree though, it would be nice to see them running somewhere on the world stage again.....
Old 03-24-2004, 10:46 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

How can someone argue that they stripped the exclusivity of the Carerra GT when the MB Vision SLR (also scheduled for 1500 production) is selling for near $1Million in the aftermarket (i.e. if you weren't lucky enough to get a call) and the Ford GT is likely to bring $100-150k over MSRP (again, if you're not tight with Ford Allmighty to get 1 of 1500 at list)...it is market perception, not the actual figures that affect the value, and right now, too many 'premium' buyers of the twin turbo, then X-50, then GT2, GT3, and turbo cab are seeing what the past has brought. It's not the numbers themselves, it's what the big dollar spending community perceives the value to be, and that is affected by more variables than total production.
As for Ferrari and F1, it's certainly NOT for advertising purposes! Ferrari North America is basically sold out of the 8 cyl models for the next 6-7 years depending on who you speak with...yet are willing to sell 12 cyl back of MSRP again because not many people are interested. Racing is selling out 1 model and leaving another wanting? Nah. Market Perception, performance, history - these are what determine success, not the old 'race on sunday sell on monday' philosophy which worked in the past for more 'affordable' vehicles. Why do you think most import schlubs drive Honda Civics, even though it's easier, and cheaper to modify things like DSM cars (how's that for a change in direction for comparison) etc? Perception. Honda doesn't EVER win at F1, or almost any other race for that matter (ok, concede motorcycling) ;o)

Just my take on the situation
Old 03-24-2004, 11:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummm every car manufacturer I am aware of is in business to make money. it is not surprising that high margin products get manufacturered. Unlike airlines... lol

Ummm correct me if i am wrong but isnt BAR the honda branch in the F1? Big call saying they will never win F1!

Quick Reply: off topic: carrera gt in dfw