Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone run a Turbo Cup rear suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 09:51 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone run a Turbo Cup rear suspension ?

My car was lowered by a PO. When I accelerate the rear tends to squat down too much and during cornering the plastic trim running below the doors can sometimes rub against the ground. My mechanic has suggested modifying the rear suspension with Bilstein shocks and Eibach coils tuned to Turbo Cup specs.

Can anyone provide comments on this setup?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I had no idea these cars could squat *THAT* much. I would get a set of Koni Yellows from paragon and adjust them to medium firm. Matching them up to yellows in front would be a good idea when you have the time/$.

Putting in coils and really stiff shocks in back without matching the fronts will lead to poor handling. I would not go for a turbo cup setup in only the rear.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Chas
Pro

Is it pretty easy to do coilovers on the rear? Assuming you just take out the torsion bars, is it as easy as the front?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

How much did it get lowered? Do you have the measurements of the ride height?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Koni's yellows are not adjustable for compression, only rebound. On the front of the car it helps a bit if you turn the adjustment two turns to frim setting. Yes if you stiffen the rear with that set up you will probaley have oversteer.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:25 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by beab951
How much did it get lowered? Do you have the measurements of the ride height?
Can't say. What is the reference point to which one should measure?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

i dunno, but that's ridiculous! doesn't that stuff sit at least 3 or 4 inches off the ground, stock?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Jerry
Instructor

It's best to measure the height from the chasis instead of the fender although I forget what the is the European spec but it just allows you to put a jack under the car (just right to get over speed bumps). After your sure the height is where you want it you must corner balance the car or the handling on the track will most likely be very bad.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Default Re: Anyone run a Turbo Cup rear suspension ?

Originally posted by 951Porschiste
My car was lowered by a PO. When I accelerate the rear tends to squat down too much and during cornering the plastic trim running below the doors can sometimes rub against the ground. My mechanic has suggested modifying the rear suspension with Bilstein shocks and Eibach coils tuned to Turbo Cup specs.

Can anyone provide comments on this setup?

I'm running Turbo Cup suspension on my trackcar. It's quite a hard setup for a streetcar - especially compared to such an obviously soft setup as you currently have. Unless the roads near your house are very good - I wouldn't recommend it.

Upgrading the rear suspension to a track setup just to combat squat would seem excessive - you must upgrade the front suspension to suit.

Your problems lie elsewhere - your car is excessively lowered or the original suspension components are tired.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:21 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I'm surprised that the PO lowered it in the first place. IMHO Porsche had the absolute perfect ride height. I just came back from taking a peek at Lorelei... she sits very nicely. The wheel wells aren't even two fingers from teh tires, and they have nearly concentric arcs as well. I've been asked by 3 friends whether the car was lowered already BEFORE they even sat in it, lol. I've been told by all who've sat in it that it is looow.

Well, that being said. I know what you mean about squat; my car squats a lot as well. My question is what did the PO do to lower the rear? Isn't the only real way to lower the rear to reindex the torsion bars? If so, why not put them back to stock ride height, replace the shocks and call it a day?
Old 03-20-2004, 05:35 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a set of turbo cup rears on eBay at the moment...
Old 03-20-2004, 11:07 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I know what the roads are like in Quebec, forget about running a set up like that. Like i said with a set konis yellow on the front set two turns stiff the car wont squat as much. On the back coil-over with helper springs.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:34 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Andre,

The turbo cup setup will be very stiff on the street. On crappy Quebec roads, I wouldn't do it. Adding to the fact that your only increasing rear spring rates (without doing something on the front), your car will be noticable more tail-happy. I'd suggest something like the KLA rear coil-overs. There have much softer rates (running something like a 100lbs spring).

http://www.klaindustries.net/rearcoil/rearcoil.htm

I'm using the same setup (with 150lbs springs) with the stock TurboS front springs; it's a very good (if on the soft side) comprimise for street/track use.

Enjoying the snow? I was in the process of unstoring my car yesterday (took it for a quick spin...); and of course it snows Go Figure!
Old 03-21-2004, 01:44 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by RPG951S
Andre,

The turbo cup setup will be very stiff on the street. On crappy Quebec roads, I wouldn't do it. Adding to the fact that your only increasing rear spring rates (without doing something on the front), your car will be noticable more tail-happy. I'd suggest something like the KLA rear coil-overs. There have much softer rates (running something like a 100lbs spring).

http://www.klaindustries.net/rearcoil/rearcoil.htm

I'm using the same setup (with 150lbs springs) with the stock TurboS front springs; it's a very good (if on the soft side) comprimise for street/track use.

Enjoying the snow? I was in the process of unstoring my car yesterday (took it for a quick spin...); and of course it snows Go Figure!
Raagi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds better and is probably more comfortable that what my mechanic suggested.

I was doing ski patrol at St-Bruno yesterday. The day started out crappy but by early evening the ski conditions were great. I should be taking the 951 out from storage next weekend. Hope it fires up OK.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:23 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Raagi... well now that it's snowed up there, when you take it for a spin... don't take it for a "spin" lol

Quick Reply: Anyone run a Turbo Cup rear suspension ?