Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installed New Oil Pick Up Tube, Can't Get Oil Pan Back On

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Installed New Oil Pick Up Tube, Can't Get Oil Pan Back On

Gang, I got my car back together a few weeks ago. Since then it's had no oil pressure. After trying all the tricks, I decided to go in the oil pan. I ordered a new pick up tube and seal just incase I found damage. Thanks to the Lindsey cross member and cross over pipe I had the pan off in 45 minutes.

The oil pick up tube looked fine. Since I had the brand new tube in hand I decided to use it after that I spent 4 hours trying to get the pan back on and it’s not happening. It's hitting the mushroom.

I lost sleep over this all night so this morning I pulled the new tube off and compared it to the old one.

According to PET and my personal experience there were two style tubes used in the 951:
'86 or oil pan with no level sensor - large mushroom - 944.107.032.06
'87+ or oil pan with level sensor - small head - 944.107.032.07

I have the '87+ oil pan and tube in my '88, it's got an '86 block. Both the tube I took out and the one I just got are the small head design and at a glance both look identical. Upon further inspection the brand new tube length is a 1/4 inch longer and positioned 1/4 more towards the center of the engine. Bottom line that 1/4 inch towards the center is making it hit the pan or baffle.

I'm fixing to reassemble this sucker with the other tube. Once I do that I'll be right back where I started, with no oil pressure.

Anyone have any insight as to what's up with this new tube? Maybe it's just a defect. It came in a genuine Porsche box with a 1996 date on it.

Last edited by Magown; 03-17-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Ok here's a a caveman sketch of what I'm talking about. I laid the two pickups on a sheet of paper and made sure the mounting holes were in the exact same spot. It's pretty much self explanitory.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stephen, that pic looks like a space ship with huge legs.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Asarus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by NZ951
Stephen, that pic looks like a space ship with huge legs.
So here is a more "easy to understand" document

Magown : i tried both oil pickup tube in my 1991 951 and both fits. The larger one is currently mounted in the car with the oil level sensor and i put back the oil sump without any problem. The motor is not ready yet so i can't tell you if everything is working fine...
Old 03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Asarus
Pro

And here are pictures of both size oil pickup tubes

To my knowledge, the oil pickup tube changed with the '89 951, and the oil pan too...
So you "may" need the new oil pan to use the new oil pickup tube ?

In my '91 951 i have the latest oil sump and it looks like it's "compatible" with both oil pickup tubes
Old 03-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"So you "may" need the new oil pan to use the new oil pickup tube ?"

Yes, he needs the newer oil-pan as well to use the new pick-up tube. The newer pan has a lower bottom. Not really visible but it ends lower down on the cool-fins on the outside, that is the fins aren't as long as the ones you see on the early pans. So on the inside, the bottom of the pan is lower, holds more oil, supposedly there was a change in the dip-stick readings as well. There was some other guy about a year or so ago that had to replace this oil-pan gasket about 4x because it kept on blowing out. Turned out he had installed the later pick-up and used the early pan. Somehow he managed to install the pan and tightened up the bolts. Must've squeezed down the strainer screen and even then, the longer tube kept him from fully clamping down on the gasket. I think he discovered that he bent the pick-up tube as well.

"Since then it's had no oil pressure. "

The oil-pressure is a completely different problem. It has to do with the seal on your oil-pump. Some people pack it full of grease or vaseline when assembling the engine so that it can seal and suck up oil . If it's turning air, it won't draw up any oil. What you can do in this case, is use suction from a shop-vac to draw up oil through the pump. Suck on that hole next to the center one one on the oil-filter housing.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure if you guys understood the problem with the pick up. The picture I traced is off two pickups both with the 944.107.032.07 part number. I ended up putting the original pick up back on it and have the pan back on. First thing tomorrow I will torque the bolts and will continue trying to regain oil pressure.

Danno, email me your address I'm no longer using he chip you loaned me and would like to return it.

Thanks,
Old 03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stephen,

There are also 2 styles of oil pan baffles, maybe a new style pickup requires a new style baffle.

Danno posted a pic old vs new baffle not long ago, I can't seem to locate it, maybe you can get him to repost the pic.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:33 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found Danno's picture, I think this shows why you were having a problem.

http://www.gururacing.net/ImagesMisc...e-OldvsNew.jpg
Old 03-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

The retard that built my 2.7 engine put the wrong pickup for the pan on the engine ('87 block and pan) and the thing ended up w/ a crack in the outside of one of the bends. That's a sure way to loose oil pressure either in part or completely. Yours dont appear to have any large holes, but it's worth a second look.It seems to me that next time it goes together (w/ a new pickup), I will cut the pickup tube in half, half-way up and install a neoprene hose and clamps so it has a little deflection before stressing the pickup and fracturing again for ANY reason (like handling durring reassembly). Small insurance seeing oil pressure is kinda important.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:19 AM
Asarus
Pro

Originally posted by David Floyd
I found Danno's picture, I think this shows why you were having a problem.

http://www.gururacing.net/ImagesMisc...e-OldvsNew.jpg
And here is the oil sump picture...

Quick Reply: Installed New Oil Pick Up Tube, Can't Get Oil Pan Back On