Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Inside of Plenum looks like 40 grit sandpaper

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 12:45 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Just build a new intake 🔧😎

I have an extude honed intake and saw no difference between my stock one and extruded.

Last edited by gruhsy; 08-28-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:25 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
My brother builds and dynos some of the highest flowing superchargers and intake manifolds in an internal combustion environment. Everything he has experienced in 25 years of doing it says smooth transitions and channels flow much greater volumes when laminar flow can be maintained right up to the transition point. In well tuned systems, that should be the valve bowl/seat.

​​​​​​That said, perhaps a turbulent flow is better for the engine characteristics needed for street use and not that of just raw power.
Chris White is correct. Things like "Golf ball" finish in inlet ports will provide the greatest flow. Sharks for instance have been testing with turbulent flow for a few thousand years so I suppose they have a clue.
With that being said I suppose your brother has seen gains porting parts that were certainly badly finished to begin with.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
With that being said I suppose your brother has seen gains porting parts that were certainly badly finished to begin with.
Hardly. He's designed and built injector hats, superchargers, and intake manifolds for fuel dragster and fuel funny car for about 25 years and is currently employed in that capacity for the largest manufacturer and owner of fuel category teams. He's on a blower dyno about 3 days a week.

I'm not going to go into proprietary information here, but smooth castings in an intake and head up to the valve bowl flow more than a rough cast or dimpled finished. If it didn't, you'd better believe that it would be implemented.

Again, different purpose and application over a street car so it's possible turbulent flow is better for street manners in various RPM ranges.

Last edited by Perry 951; 08-29-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:37 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
I'd love to see the dyno chart of 25+ hp from a polished factory intake on any vehicle.

​​​​​​Reducing turbulence usually makes for more power and better combustion.
back in the Carb era it was the other way around.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:32 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the reasons some guys cut open the mani is to cut down the divider between runners, which effectively shortens the runners and adds volume to the plenum which improves top end power.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
back in the Carb era it was the other way around.
Very true as the droplet size was like a thunderstorm and injection is like a fog. If you look into some of the flow techniques in direct injected engines, you'll find that laminar flows are desired so they can direct and initiate swirl into the combustion chamber rather than an uncontrolled tumble. Bowl and seat designs are very carefully designed and tested to direct flow as to best position the mix and flame front especially in lean burn conditions. The plastic intakes have close to mirror finish runners and the heads have very smooth ports.

My shop works on about 7000 cars a year and a large part of it is engine work. Pretty much anything made in the last 10 years has very little surface imperfections in the intake systems. We can all agree that power output is up significantly and fuel consumption is lower as well. That isn't from fast ECUs and fuel atomization alone.

Last edited by Perry 951; 08-30-2020 at 12:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Perry 951:
odurandina (08-30-2020), SirLapsalot (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 05:44 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Again, different purpose and application over a street car so it's possible turbulent flow is better for street manners in various RPM ranges.
Not just for street manners, some drag engines also use golf ball patterns with very high specific output. Anyway, different ways to skin the cat I suppose.

Quick Reply: Inside of Plenum looks like 40 grit sandpaper