3.0L Turbo Pistons - pics/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I think I must share my information with the list.
Since I have some friends in the MAHLE R&D department for Pistons in Germany I contacted them again and asket for these pistons.
I do not know if this si true or not but I just write here what I found.

1) Mahle NEVER build these pistons in Germany
2) the original 968 Turbo S pistons (same as RS) are NORT compatible with the Alusil Block so tehy can not iuse with the standard block without modifications
3) you need special rings for these Pistons.
4)MAHLE is NOT alowed to sell these pistons even if they want since ALL tools for ALL parts that they made for the 968 Turbo S/RS belongs to Porsche. Since Porsche did't made more cars. the had to destroy the tools. that why Porsche can not get any other parts for these rare cars. the cost to keep the tools for so long time just in case someone wants some parts was too high for porsche so they destroed the tools otherwise they had to pay money every month to Mahle because they used their space.
5) Mahle didn't reproduced the above pistons in Germany for the above reasons.
6) the quality of teh plating is not good enogh for a Mahle piston and a piston like this would never pass the Mahle quality control. Piston like this will go to the metal-press for destroying.

It is possible that someone didn't destroyed them and sold them as good to ANDIAL???
are they not original but someone sells them as mahle?
are they any Mahle stamps on them?

Mahle in Germany do not know anything about them.
is there a Mahle factory in the USA?
what is stamped on the top of the pistons?

Konstantin
Old 03-17-2004, 10:02 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If I had to guess, I would say maybe they got hold of a Mahle piston and just copied it, but to inferior standards, but I am pretty sure they came in a Mahle box wrapped in Mahle paper. The rods definately came in a Carillo box...

I will check when I get home and I havent had a chance to take pictures of mine yet Konstantin as I dont have my camera back yet.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are DEFINITELY Mahle pistons, made by Mahle.

These were "custom" pistons made by Mahle, not an OEM run. They were coated for the factory 968/S2 blocks, not the Turbo S/RS blocks - These are NOT Turbo S/RS pistons, instead, they are Mahle modified reproductions of those pistons for use in the production 968/S2 blocks.

There were only a couple of relatively small production runs of these pistons, something like 200 pistons total +/- in two sizes, standard (for the 104mm bore) and first oversize (for the 104.5mm bore.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Arnold at Andial has been working on making these pistons a reality for the past 6-8 years. They are made by Mahle!
Mahle Motorsports in NC had plans for similar pistons, but yet to see any. Same story for the past 2 years "Next month"
Old 03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

So these 3.0 L pistons will never be produced again? What if someone is planning on doing a 3.0 L turbo conversion in the future? Are there any other companies where one can buy 3.0 L turbo pistons?

Thanks,
Old 03-17-2004, 11:41 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are planning on a 3.0L better get the pictons while you can.Otherwise you can sleeve the block and use aftermarket pistons.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I have a set on my lap right now. They come in a big red split top box (obviously build for 6 pistons) that says Mahle Original all over it. The label on the end of the box says "Andial Road and Racing Sport Piston & Cylinders; Bore 104.0mm; For 3.0 Turbo 944/968; MAH 103 099 50" The other end is a Mahle part label that says Porsche 1K33118/000; Koblen A1:00; 618638; werk 3; datum 05.08.03. They are each wrapped in Mahle wax paper. The are stamped MAHLE inside the dome, and show 104P11+++; W2 + also inside the dome, On the skirt it is marked 618638/00. The Andial guy told me they were reproductions of the RS pistons, but made to run in regular Alusil 944/968 bores.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:57 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

BINGO!

Isn't it curious that the only people that "really" know anything about these pistons are the people that have actually bought a set? When I first had a few sets of these, I was being told by people that knew NOTHING about them, that they did not really exist! - All the while I had three sets in my hands!

This in not the only area where myths and misconceptions are born by way of lack of information. Like I said in an earlier post, many people want these pistons, but few actually stepped up to the plate to buy them - THAT is why Mahle wants nothing to do with them - Simple economics.

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Konstantin,

I posted everything about my pistons in my earlier post, thinking that you may be able to relay that information to your friend at Mahle, to see if he can find out anything about the pistons, or Mahle's plans to make more.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello
I am working on it. I just spoke with him on the phone.

about the coating.
there are two different way to coat them and OTH workswith the stock block. It seems they used the "wrong" or less better one. I do not know why? maybe it was chaper or faster or???

He will check and let me know.
he say itis not normal tha a Mahle Psiton looks like this when it is not even installed but if it is only on the side and teh coating on the runing area is good then it is not a problem.

I asked him how can I know that the coating in the conatct area is good and only the coating on the side is going off.

well he said. It depends who did the work and how good it was. You can not realy know this by just looking at the piston.

Konstantin
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default MAHLE PISTONS

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Konstantin,

I posted everything about my pistons in my earlier post, thinking that you may be able to relay that information to your friend at Mahle, to see if he can find out anything about the pistons, or Mahle's plans to make more.
I know nothing about these pistons All i Know is that i bought a set of VW 2l mahle pistons with rings and pins for only 140 EUR here in Greece but were made in INDIA .

Quick Reply: 3.0L Turbo Pistons - pics/concerns