Baked on IM Gasket Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 07:58 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Baked on IM Gasket Removal?

I am finally getting around to replacing my Intake Manifold gaskets. All four are baked on quite hard to the Intake Manifold side.

What is the safest way to remove these gaskets?

Here are some options that I have found:
[list=1][*]3M Roloc Bristle Discs + Power Drill --- done by me [*]Permatex (or other brand) Gasket Remover and a Scraper [*]Sandblast them off and clean up the IM in the process[*]???????????????[/list=1]

Any thoughts? I am quite afraid of gouging my IM. I am willing to spend the money to do it right.

Also, should I apply some RTV sealant to the gasket? Which side(s) and what kind?

TIA,
Max
Old 03-15-2004, 08:11 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't really tell you the best way to remove the gasket, but I can tell you how to keep it from happening again. I put a light coat of wheel bearing grease on both sides of the gaskets, no more sticking this way.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest method I have found is using a blade from a utility knife, and going at the edges of the gasket at around a 30 (or less) degree angle. They should come off in big chunks unless they are the originals in which case you may need to do some minor clean up, again with the utility knife blade. Any final residue left over can be cleaned off using Scotch Brite, the green or burgundy kind. This is the same method I've used for cleaning gasket material off cam housings and cylinder head gasket surfaces. Works every time and it's cheap.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:25 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, my gaskets are probably original. I doubt the IM has ever been removed. I tried scraping them without any spray and I got nowhere. I am pretty sure I would have gouged the IM.

Max
Old 03-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go at the gasket at a small enough angle, you can get the blade under the gasket and it should come up pretty easily. Gasket remover won't help much and neither will the Roloc discs until you remove the majority of the gasket by scraping it away.

Don't be too nervous about gouging the aluminum (then again, don't be dumb). You will need to be pretty aggresive to remove the old, hard gaskets. Worst case, if you do put a deep enough scrape in the aluminum and the gasket wouldn't seal right any more, you'd need some RTV to get a good seal.

Originally posted by macnewma
Yeah, my gaskets are probably original. I doubt the IM has ever been removed. I tried scraping them without any spray and I got nowhere. I am pretty sure I would have gouged the IM.

Max
Old 03-15-2004, 08:50 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Try soaking the gasket in varsol or use WD40 to get the gasket saturated and then a scraper should take it off easily. Then Scotchbright pad to buff clean.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

The permatex remover and a plastic windshield ice scraper should get it off without damaging the aluminum.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just use a chisel. Lay the chisel so the flat side is on the intake-manifold and the angled side faces up. Then as you push parallel to the surface, it will separate the gasket from the surface. If it doesn't , it just cuts the gasket parallel to the IM surface and no harm is done. The angled top side then peels up the gasket. Typically, unless some super-duty sealant was used, the gasket will come off cleanly and after about 50% through, the rest will come off in one piece.

Quick Reply: Baked on IM Gasket Removal?