Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Paint spray gun

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:50 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint spray gun

I have to paint my front splitter rear 968RS wing and I want to do my front bumper while I am at it. I have dreams of repainting my car some day also but don't take that into account to much. I tried searching to find a decent affordable spray gun and I read that a HVLP gun is the better gun to get. I was looking at Harborfreight today and these are some I was thinking about getting 1 2 or would a normal type gun be better 3 Any input or links to other products are welcome!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:34 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

OK, this is way into the IMHO part of the spectrum, but here goes: If you want a good quality finish, you're going to need a good quality gun. I don't think Harbor Freight is going to offer you a gun that's going to give you the results your Porsche deserves. Binks and Devilbis make some good quality guns, but you're going to pay for them too. If you are going to be working with simple color, non-metallic, single stage paints, you can get by without an HVLP. A Binks #7 may work well for you. Go to the local paint retailer, and see what they have. The Harbor Freight stuff will make great primer guns, 1 for primer surfacer, another for primer sealer, and that's about it.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:51 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a "High Line" car dealer in your area, ask the service or used car people who they use for onsite paint repair and get the number. Most of these type of guys are well versed in painting small pieces and are very reasonable. If you where closer to ATL, I would be happy to do it for you. Or you could wait till I sell a Franchise up your way, or you could buy one...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:46 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info guys! I was worried that this was the type of response I would get. Really my whole car is not in excellent shape paint wise and I just figured I have done small item with spray cans with satisfactory results to me so a cheaper gun should give me better results then I would get doing the spray can route. I should add that my car is a hobby for me and doing the work is part of it just as enjoying the car and the only way I can afford to do the things I want to do. When I do decide to paint the whole car I will probably just do most of the prep work and take it somewhere to be painted. I guess what ever I decide I will post results when I am done.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:34 AM
KRhino
Intermediate

There are some good reasonably priced guns available, but not at harbor freight. Go to an auto paint and body supply shop and check out a Sharp Kobalt gun....nice gun for 180.00 or so. (hvlp). Devilbiss makes a good entry level gun that shoots well.....damn if I can't remember what it is called but can be had for 150.00 (hvlp)
Old 03-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by KRhino
There are some good reasonably priced guns available, but not at harbor freight. Go to an auto paint and body supply shop and check out a Sharp Kobalt gun....nice gun for 180.00 or so. (hvlp). Devilbiss makes a good entry level gun that shoots well.....damn if I can't remember what it is called but can be had for 150.00 (hvlp)
Devilbiss Finishline 3- great HVLP gun with two tips, gravity feed.

I re-shot my old fj40 landcruiser with one of these over the summer. Sprayed filler, sealer, top coat color, was a joy to work with. Awesome spray gun, but you need a LOT of air (all HVLP guns need big volumes of air even though they run low pressure). Big reserve 60+ gallon tanks at 150psi with 8+ CFM would be a good place to start.

Here's a deVilbiss FL3 gun on ebay- autobody depot: "Buy it now" price at under 120.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=22779
Old 03-12-2004, 02:55 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

The entry level devilbiss guns are pretty good .. another gun I really like is the Optima 800i (but a guy I work with doesn't, and he knows someone else that loves it and another that doesn't .. so it's really just taste).
Anyway, those can be had second hand cheap for that reason.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Steve,
I share your enthusiasm regarding the FJ40. Mine is still undergoing a frame off. Now if the 944 T had the off the line torque of that old forklift motor, that would be thrilling!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Originally posted by 87951
Steve,
I share your enthusiasm regarding the FJ40. Mine is still undergoing a frame off. Now if the 944 T had the off the line torque of that old forklift motor, that would be thrilling!
My FJ would kill the 951 off the line, to about 25... then it would be silly.

Luckily the FJ's up and running cause the porsche just transitioned into the project du jour with a need for new rings and headgasket. The motorcycle fills the bill now too. Come on sunshine!

Good luck with your FJ resto.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:11 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

imo, the cost of a REALLY GOOD gun vs the cost of wasting paint / hours of stripping, re-surfacing, etc is quickly offset.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harbor Freight used to seel a Sata knock off gun that sprayed exceptionally well. The finish wouldn't stand up to the chemicals and cleaning required for daily use but it sprayed great. Perfect for the "occasional painter". I bet you can still find them in your local store. They were around $100.

I have a Binks M1G that is a decent gun that has good ergonomics and is easy to hold. Sprays very nice as well. Well worth the money in my opinion. Now if I could only figure out how to adjust all of those ***** and dials............
Old 03-12-2004, 06:09 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input all I will think about it for a while and post pictures when everything is done.

Quick Reply: Paint spray gun